PDA

View Full Version : Did Virgin Media Block my Ports, oooerr!!

PowerUser
18-07-2007, 16:42
Last night I wanted to D/L a xvid from newsgroups, I used Grabit AND Newsleecher And newsrover And NewsBin Pro. Just to make sure it's not a program issue. All these apps had real trouble loging in and connecting to my account.

So I contacted my newsProvider "Newsdemon" and asked them to look in to it, they replied back to me within 30 mins and said that all my account details were fine, and that all is ok. And that I should try different Ports 119. 443. and 8080, But still didn't work

Not that Didn't believe them, but I had to try something else. So I bought a 3 day account from shemes £1.25. And this has exactly the same problem timing out trying to connect.

Ok So It's Not the Newsreader and it's not the NewsProvider, Bear in mind that I could browse the internet and stream HD Gametrailers at Full speed. and Which this doesn't use specific ports. So that can only leave 1 thing, VIRGIN blocking well known newsgroups ports?.

Did they really Throtttle My ports to nothing last night. as it was fine around 7am this morning. Please tell me it's not a virgin media issue, We all know they are spiralling outta control with there network at the mo. this is just not funny anymore!.

Richy99
18-07-2007, 16:44
no virgin do not block any ports

more details on your setup and error messages, router? wireless? error messages etc, could you ping the servers? tracert to them?

giganews was working fine for me last night

PowerUser
18-07-2007, 16:51

more details on your setup and error messages, router? wireless? error messages etc, could you ping the servers? tracert to them?

giganews was working fine for me last night

Hiya.
I use an ethernet Cable Straight from modem to pc. No router. No WireLess. And only Windows XP firewall. I didn't do a tracert stupidly, but here is the error message I kept getting in all 3 NewsReaders.

"Unable to login. Server response "Unable to connect (error: 10060 - Connection timed out")

Richy99
18-07-2007, 16:55
software firewall blocking the connection?

PowerUser
18-07-2007, 17:07
software firewall blocking the connection?

Only have Windows XP firewall. And The Problem rectified in the morning 8 hours later!.

Richy99
18-07-2007, 17:11
might have been a dns issue, a ping to the server would be a good test next time

altis
18-07-2007, 17:17

That's new!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/95465-post9.html

Richy99
18-07-2007, 17:24
That's new!

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/95465-post9.html

those are to stop network attacks not to block a normal users ports and it was posted 4 years ago

PowerUser
18-07-2007, 18:28
Well, Now I've cancelled my account with NewsDemon. They are a bit surprised at this, as they say when they tested/logged into my account everything worked fine. I said thanks and everything but I've just proved a point by Buying 3 days Service from Shemes for £1.10. and it's d/l fine with them.

So Now i'm going to try giganews,lets just hope this works.

Richy99
18-07-2007, 22:28
if you dont max out with giga then you have problems lol

TraxData
19-07-2007, 00:31
if you dont max out with giga then you have problems lol

Not really...i have to use 20connections to max out giga now...and even then it has its random drops down to 1.5mb/s etc.

Rik
19-07-2007, 01:06
Not really...i have to use 20connections to max out giga now...and even then it has its random drops down to 1.5mb/s etc.

Have to agree, I have Newsleecher set to 20 connections all the time now, and occasionally still dont get my full normal 2.35MB/s

This is more to do with VMs network performance than Giganews end I wouldve thought.

Toto
19-07-2007, 01:07
those are to stop network attacks not to block a normal users ports and it was posted 4 years ago

And its still in place, at least on the ex NTL network anyway.

Rik
19-07-2007, 01:17
And its still in place, at least on the ex NTL network anyway.

At least it stops the noobs sharing their My Documents and network shares! to all and sundry ;)

Data
19-07-2007, 01:21
Perhaps this article might ease your problems, if you're affected by it:
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497

Toto
19-07-2007, 01:41
At least it stops the noobs sharing their My Documents and network shares! to all and sundry ;)

Yeh, but more to do with Virus propogation reduction methinks. :)