PDA

View Full Version : Contact lenses All Day / All Night ???

Mike
18-07-2007, 14:21
Hi all

Having worn gas permeable contact lenses for 20 years I thought I would give soft ones a try. I do like the sound of the monthly all day and all night lenses. I.e. You don’t take them out for a month and sleep with them in.

Has anyone tried them and if so what are they like comfort wise and do they degrade towards the end of the month ?

Many thanks

Mike

keithwalton
18-07-2007, 14:52
I've been wearing them for two years or so now.

They are great in that you can just wake up in the morning and be able to see!

Yes they do degrade over time its so slow that you dont notice it until you put new lenses in! but thats after wearing them for quite abit more than a month (supply problems hit mine earlier this year, that and changing optician)

I get mine through tesco's of all places, £25 for 3 months / 3 sets, and its about £25 for a fitting / check per year (pay for one and the next 12 months are included) This beats the £16/month i was paying specsavers!

One thing to note as they get older they do get more troublesome first thing in the morning, much like if you slept in normal contact lenses, you just have to re-seat them in your eye and then they are fine

Rockabilly Spike
18-07-2007, 15:21
Yeah been wearing them from Specsavers since nov last year.
Only complaint is a bit of dry eye towards the end of the day but i have some Contact friendly eyedrops and its all good.

once my 12 months with specsavers is up i'm gonna check out some other places but cos my prescription was quite unusual specsavers had to charge me extra for mine.

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-07-2007, 15:32
Are they comfortable to sleep in too? Dont your eyes feel really dry as soon as you wake up?

Shaun
18-07-2007, 15:38
Mine didn't untill the hayfever season came around. I stopped waring them (and I was short of money at the time). when I went back to them I found I got dry eyes in the night and they hurt.

It's a shame as I would go back to them tomorrow if I could. In fact I may try them again next time my batch of dailys run out.

I get all my lenses from www.visiondirect.com they're great and they also offer 10% discount rates occasionally. Use the code FUN10 at the checkout :D

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-07-2007, 15:44
I get all my lenses from www.visiondirect.com (http://www.visiondirect.com) they're great and they also offer 10% discount rates occasionally. Use the code FUN10 at the checkout :D

They deliver to the UK without a problem? The prices for focus dailies are about 30% of what I currently pay!

Shaun
18-07-2007, 15:56
Yes, I've bene using them for about two years now :)

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

I get mine through tesco's of all places, £25 for 3 months / 3 sets, and its about £25 for a fitting / check per year (pay for one and the next 12 months are included) This beats the £16/month i was paying specsavers!

I can't see that price anywhere Keith - I'm geting £39 for 3 months supply. :(

Saaf_laandon_mo
18-07-2007, 16:23
Shaun, how do they verify your prescription. It says shipping will happen once the prescriptions verified. Does this mean once they check they have it in stock?

Shaun
18-07-2007, 16:35
Shaun, how do they verify your prescription. It says shipping will happen once the prescriptions verified. Does this mean once they check they have it in stock?

Like here in the UK the law states that they need do see a copy of your prescription. You need to fax it to post it top them. However as you're not having them shipped to the US you don't need to bother.

If you order them to the UK they don't even ask for it.

I've had them shipped to both the UK and a relatives in the USA when I was there last year. They did insist on it when I had them shipped to Seattle but they don't if they send them home.

The only other thing to consider is that occasionally (I've only had it once) you'll be charges import duty on them. On a £140 order I was tapped by Mr Brown for £20 so not too bad. All my other orders have come through without any additional charges. :)

One year's worth of Night and Day lenses come to less than £100 with Vision Direct!

BarFly
18-07-2007, 17:21
Best thing i ever did was move to these. yes they do de-grade over time, but thats about 2/3minths in, ( yes i know there only meant for a month, but i forgot once..lol )

I get mine from a place called coastal contacts
https://www.coastalcontacts.co.uk/./en_gb/contact-lenses/focus-night-and-day/prod92012.html

Mike
18-07-2007, 21:21
[QUOTE=BarFly;34353838]Best thing i ever did was move to these. yes they do de-grade over time, but thats about 2/3minths in, ( yes i know there only meant for a month, but i forgot once..lol )

Are they really that comfortable ???

Mike

BarFly
18-07-2007, 23:29
don't have any issues with them what so ever, i find them easier to wear than daily throw away ones, but its each to there own, i don't know where'd i be without them.

Every couple of months or so, i go back to wearing glasses for a week or 2 just to give my eyes a break ( and keep the missus happy ;) ) but apart from that, i highly recommend them.

When i first switched over i did it all via my usual optician, they tested my eyes, gave me a pair for the afternoon, then i went back & they checked my eyes, that was all ok, so he advised to leave them in for the rest of the day & then night & come back the next day to make sure they were all ok, they were, & i bought my first set off them, then moved onto buying them off the web.
I know it sounds like a pain, doing it via the optician ( visiting 3 times in 2 days), but it was worth it...

Speak to your optician, say your thinking of trying them & they should be able to give you a one off pair to test them.

keithwalton
19-07-2007, 00:55
Yes, I've bene using them for about two years now :)

---------- Post added at 15:56 ---------- Previous post was at 15:55 ----------

I can't see that price anywhere Keith - I'm geting £39 for 3 months supply. :(

http://www.tescoopticians.com/product.aspx?prod=4

Thats what i use :) its exactly the same as what specsavers prescribed me, just alot cheaper

Shaun
19-07-2007, 02:11
I see I was looking at the CIBA ones that I used to wear. :)

Vlad_Dracul
01-08-2007, 18:52
Hi all

Having worn gas permeable contact lenses for 20 years I thought I would give soft ones a try. I do like the sound of the monthly all day and all night lenses. I.e. You don’t take them out for a month and sleep with them in.

Has anyone tried them and if so what are they like comfort wise and do they degrade towards the end of the month ?

Many thanks

Mike

I was in a similar position. Wore RGPs for years then switched to jonson and jonson accuvue dailies for a month or so. I then switched to www.daysoft.co.uk dailies. They are as good as acuvue and loads cheaper. I would recommend that you switch from RGPs to dailies first as an interim step. They are excellent. You will see a big improvement in vision and especially comfort when compared with RGPs..

HTH