PDA

View Full Version : 20mb via USB ?

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 11:31
I currently subscribe to the 20mb broadband, but connect the ethernet cable from the modem to my PC (laptop) via USB adaptor. Will this method of connection have any issues to why I never seem to receive over 5mb ?
I've tried to connect the ethernet cable directly, but it won't work....maybe need an ethernet card in the PC ??

Tijer
17-07-2007, 11:34
id suggest you get an N.I.C for your computer, as do virgin now, USB cannot support the speeds that ethernet can, and N.I.C (ethernet cards) are pretty cheap these days!

Toto
17-07-2007, 11:39
I currently subscribe to the 20mb broadband, but connect the ethernet cable from the modem to my PC (laptop) via USB adaptor. Will this method of connection have any issues to why I never seem to receive over 5mb ?
I've tried to connect the ethernet cable directly, but it won't work....maybe need an ethernet card in the PC ??

Yes, you basically can't get the bandwidth through the USB connection, as Tijer suggest, you need an Ethernet connection from your modem to your PC.

I believe that USB 1.1 only has a 5Mb bandwidth through put, so if you are having problems getting above 5Mb, that could well be the reason.

anduin
17-07-2007, 11:45
OP is using a laptop, surely the laptop has an ethernet port on it?

janipewter
17-07-2007, 11:49
How do you plug an ethernet cable into a USB port?

Chris
17-07-2007, 12:01
How do you plug an ethernet cable into a USB port?

By using an adaptor, but that doesn't solve the problem because you are still ultimately connecting via USB rather than ethernet.

OP is using a laptop, surely the laptop has an ethernet port on it?

Don't bet on it, loads of low-end consumer laptops used to ship sans ethernet. Less common these days but far from unheard of.

The OP might be able to get round this if his laptop has a PCMCIA slot, into which he could slot an ethernet adaptor ... if he has a PCMCIA slot.

http://library.law.hawaii.edu/shared_images/infotech/figure1.jpg

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 12:19
My PC is an old Siemens Fujitsu model...there is both PCMCIA slot (was used for wireless adaptor, but no longer so now is free) and an ethernet socket outlet.
I'm guessing that simply because there is an ethernet outlet on the machine, it doesn't nescessarily mean that there is a card built in ?

The PCMCIA adaptor sounds favourite, no need for internal fitting. I presume that the ethernet cable would plug directly into the card adaptor, then into my machine ?

Thanks for the responses guys....

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Is this the type of thing required ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47111&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=ETHERNET&doy=17m7

If this got the connection working well, would any other configurations need changing...ie. internet connections internally ?

EzBeanz
17-07-2007, 12:33
a USB 2.0 port can transfer @ 480mbps

Chris
17-07-2007, 12:34
My PC is an old Siemens Fujitsu model...there is both PCMCIA slot (was used for wireless adaptor, but no longer so now is free) and an ethernet socket outlet.
I'm guessing that simply because there is an ethernet outlet on the machine, it doesn't nescessarily mean that there is a card built in ?

The PCMCIA adaptor sounds favourite, no need for internal fitting. I presume that the ethernet cable would plug directly into the card adaptor, then into my machine ?

Thanks for the responses guys....

---------- Post added at 11:19 ---------- Previous post was at 11:09 ----------

Is this the type of thing required ?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=47111&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=ETHERNET&doy=17m7

If this got the connection working well, would any other configurations need changing...ie. internet connections internally ?

I don't know for certain but I'd have thought if the e-net socket is there, it's probably active. Plug into it and see.

If you do need a card for the PCMCIA slot, then the one you linked to looks like it'll do the job.

janipewter
17-07-2007, 12:38
a USB 2.0 port can transfer @ 480mbps

I didn't think the SACM's were USB2 though were they?

Druchii
17-07-2007, 12:50
I didn't think the SACM's were USB2 though were they?
Nope, USB1.1 @ 11mbps. (Or so the readout from Docsdiag tells me)

rtj70
17-07-2007, 13:09
The ethernet socket on the Fujitsu Siemens laptop will be just fine. No need for a PCMCIA adapter.

When one comment suggest and ethernet adapter they will have assumed you had a desktop PC without ethernet. Most laptops have had ethernet built in for many years now.

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 13:14
The ethernet socket on the Fujitsu Siemens laptop will be just fine. No need for a PCMCIA adapter.

When one comment suggest and ethernet adapter they will have assumed you had a desktop PC without ethernet. Most laptops have had ethernet built in for many years now.

Attached is a data sheet for my PC. I can't see ethernet as a port option, but it does state LAN & modem..same thing perhaps ?

Thanks for all the help so far...

Druchii
17-07-2007, 13:30
Attached is a data sheet for my PC. I can't see ethernet as a port option, but it does state LAN & modem..same thing perhaps ?

Thanks for all the help so far...
Yep, the modem/LAN combo, the LAN will be Ethernet ;)

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 13:38
I've previously tried plugging the cable directly into this port, but with no joy. Is it also nescessary to alter any of the computer settings to accept this connection ?

dragon
17-07-2007, 13:44
Do you have the driver loaded for the LAN port for you OS

Also check its not disabled in some settings somewhere (if its windows 2000/xp try under "network connections")

Also I believe when you change the connection to the modem you need to power the modem off and back on again to make it pickup the new device connected to it.

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 14:13
Dragon, sorry, no idea if the driver is loaded. I will certainly look at the network connections though.

Thanks

brundles
17-07-2007, 14:26
You might also want to check the BIOS to make sure it's not disabled.

deathtrap3000
17-07-2007, 14:28
Also make sure you turned the modem off before pluggin in the ethernet.

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 14:38
Is there a specific sequence for powering down the modem ?

1 PC off (at the socket)
2 V+ box off (at the socket)
3 Modem off (at the socket)

Then back on in reverse order ?

Richy99
17-07-2007, 16:47
unplug the modem, thats all, you dont need to touch the V+ box or the pc

Grewer9
17-07-2007, 21:37
Thanks to all who replied....pc now directly connected via ethernet....however, speeds now less than 1mb !!
I'll put this down to the slow service that everybody else seems to be getting lately and not the connection. I'll try a late night test, see how it fares.
Once more, many thanks to all the respondees, as usual loads of great help and advice !:)