PDA

View Full Version : 4mb to 10mb Problems Known issue?

SwishSwash
16-07-2007, 18:27
Hello Cable Forum people,

Been reading around this for a few days and while I think NTL/VM are traffic shaping the network to bits I don’t think that this is my problem. A simple 4mb to 10mb upgrade.

/* Begin tail of woe

It started last week when a colleague phoned retentions and got upgraded to the 10meg Service for a couple of quid more. Hearing how simple it was and that work pay most of the bill I decided to give it a go. I phoned retentions and said I was on 4mb and felt the capping was a bit rubbish considering how much I was paying, worked a treat, yep Sir we’ll upgrade you to the 10mb service should be upgraded by the time you get home.

So I get home test from speedtest.net hmmmmm looks like the Capped 4mb Service. So I am up early on Saturday try again. Hmmmmm looks like the 4mb Service. I phone the Helpdesk to get them to look at it “no sir your cable modem is on 4mb Still no we cant change it you’ll have to phone retentions” I phone retentions Ohhhh that doesn’t look right Ok that’s sorted I should be 10mb in 24 Hours. So I tested on Sunday and guess what looks like a 4mb service. Ok wait till this morning. Phone retentions very nice person chats to me saying mmmmm it says its 10mb but we will reconfigure your cable modem and reload but if that doesn’t work you’ll have to phone Tech Support. So I try this afternoon still no joy looks like the 4mb Service. I phone tech support and she gets me too download something from Microsoft (Still 4mb Speed) then she wants me to boot into safe mode with networking. I stop her at this point as even I know that’s not going to change the issue. I explain that I really don’t think the problem is between my PC and the Cable modem it’s between the cable Modem and the kit in Virgin as its running at only 4mb.

/* End of tail of Woe **/

Anyway She rings back and says that there is a known issue with people upgrading from 4mb to 10mb (now 20mb I believe) Have you put it on your service status page I suggest that way people wont be going through the hassle I have, Oh yes that’s a good idea! Ok when is it going to be fixed? Oh in the next week. So my question is has any one else upgraded and had the same issue? At one point she was convinced my Cable modem didn’t exist is this just a simple provisioning system gone mental issue.

And just for fun here's a speed test done at 5pm Great if I had a 4mb service

-G
Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:05:25 GMT

1st 512K took 1131 ms = 452.7 KB/sec, approx 3730 Kbps, 3.64 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1162 ms = 440.6 KB/sec, approx 3631 Kbps, 3.55 Mbps
3rd 512K took 1082 ms = 473.2 KB/sec, approx 3899 Kbps, 3.81 Mbps
4th 512K took 1061 ms = 482.6 KB/sec, approx 3977 Kbps, 3.88 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3809 Kbps, 3.72 Mbps

chickendippers
16-07-2007, 18:36
Although you've rung tech support who should have asked you this; have you power-cycled your modem?

SwishSwash
16-07-2007, 19:01
about 3 times... I got a bit impatient over the weekend gave it a couple of 13amp resets

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:45 ----------

Just for completness a bit about myside of the connection I connect through a Linksys wireless router but I have checked and the speed between the WAN port and the Cable modem is 100Mb Just to be sure I nailed it up to 100Mb Full duplex and repeated the test and still no joy. I dont expect to get the full 10Mb from the wireless but I do have a wired PC connected into the router and I get

Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:58:11 UTC

1st 512K took 1031 ms = 496.6 KB/sec, approx 4092 Kbps, 4 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1132 ms = 452.3 KB/sec, approx 3727 Kbps, 3.64 Mbps
3rd 512K took 1142 ms = 448.3 KB/sec, approx 3694 Kbps, 3.61 Mbps
4th 512K took 1191 ms = 429.9 KB/sec, approx 3542 Kbps, 3.46 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 3764 Kbps, 3.68 Mbps

So in the same range.

Linksys is running : document.write("DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) std");DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final (05/16/06) std (javascript:openAboutWindow())

SwishSwash
17-07-2007, 22:04
Well after a day of working through 4mb Speed I am really confused I know a lot of people here are complaining they are on 10mb or 20mb and getting say 5 or 6 Mb Download. I would be happy with that as I seem to have been upgraded paid more money and got exactly the same service.

They haven't changed a thing. Seems there are two issues here the QoS/Traffic Shapping but there is another which is faulty upgrade process that is failing to upgrade people.

Has any one else been upgraded from 4 to 10/20 Mb and not got an increase in speed like me?

---------- Post added at 22:04 ---------- Previous post was at 21:53 ----------

Just checking my Modems config and it is set to 20Mb. This just gets weirder loads of people are complaining about traffic shaping but this doesnt add up somehow its almost as if the modem isn't capable of supporting 20mb so it reverts to the last known config it had.

Network Access : Allowed Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000

SwishSwash
18-07-2007, 09:01
Was just having a look on the virgin site and went to the my account section and then the upgrade your account. Which spawns another site

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cabletier

Once on that it says I am still on the L tariff not the XL tarrif. So this is pretty conclusive to me that the provisioning system and the billing system are not working together

It lets me try and upgrade the Cable modem to XL but then it fails.

Unable to modify cable modem details <edit Rob Mac Details removed >(Error14 in page amendModem.) If you need further help, please contact our customer support (0845 454 1111).
When you call customer support, you may be asked for the following information: Application Virgin Media Broadband services upgrade Date & Time 18/07/2007 at 09:00

Anyone know who I need to speak to about that?

Data
18-07-2007, 11:12
Hearing how simple it was and that work pay most of the bill I decided to give it a go. I phoned retentions and said I was on 4mb and felt the capping was a bit rubbish considering how much I was paying, worked a treat, yep Sir we’ll upgrade you to the 10mb service should be upgraded by the time you get home.

Very good. Looks like you're getting what you paid for. :p:

SwishSwash
18-07-2007, 13:00
Data : Thats true :P

Spoke to customer service and it seems that My Cable Modem account wasnt migrated fully when we all moved to one Bill and although the system thinks its not connected it most definatly is (The CS guy I spoke to disabled the modem and stopped my internet to prove it was the right one)

So its back to phone Tech Support.

BarFly
18-07-2007, 13:11
Was just having a look on the virgin site and went to the my account section and then the upgrade your account. Which spawns another site

https://autoreg.autoregister.net/cgi/cabletier

Once on that it says I am still on the L tariff not the XL tarrif. So this is pretty conclusive to me that the provisioning system and the billing system are not working together

It lets me try and upgrade the Cable modem to XL but then it fails.

Unable to modify cable modem details xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Error14 in page amendModem.) If you need further help, please contact our customer support (0845 454 1111).
When you call customer support, you may be asked for the following information: Application Virgin Media Broadband services upgrade Date & Time 18/07/2007 at 09:00

Anyone know who I need to speak to about that?

you might want to remove your mac addy at some point.

SwishSwash
20-07-2007, 19:55
That's a good idea.

Looks like it has been a mismatch between the billing system and the provisioning system. Today my Cable Modem just died phoned tech support up and they told me that they need to reload the modem this would take 4 hours FFS!!!

Anyway after waiting the 4 hours and it not working I got to a lady who worked out that my cable modem was on one account and the bill was on another. She moved the cable modem to the right account and yay cable modem works...

Its only at 4mb but it works and I reckon if I go through the same thing I did to start this with retentions and get them to upgrade my line. to 10/20mb that I should then be able to bitch and moan with you lot about why I am not getting 19.99999Mb download speed

YAY!