PDA

View Full Version : Ring Home & Someone else Answers

Stan the Man
16-07-2007, 17:43
I phoned home to speak to the misses & i got a strange voice on the phone (a bloke). I Said who's this & he said you've rang my home number so i said sorry i must have got the wrong number & hung up.
Well i was on my mobile so i thought i can't have got it wrong & when i checked i had rung home.
Well i rushed home thinking we were being burgled or something. R lass was in bed (shifts) so i dialed 1471 & there was a missed call from my mobile number.
Well i rang home again with my mobile and the house phone rang but this bloke answered it again, apparently we've got a crossed line. I exlained i would report it & so i did.
Got someone in India as per usual explained the problem (many times) before she understood. She asked for my mobile number & told me to hang up whilst she tested the line, i told her i would'nt answer it to show the fault. She rang on my mobile to confirm she had spoken to the bloke on the crossed line (i bet he's getting fed up as well) & said i would need a tech visit. Surely the problems in the exchange or the box in the street. Is this the correct approach she took or is it bog standard we'll just send a tech regardless?
Anyone had this issue before & if so how was it solved.

Thanks for listening
Stan

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-07-2007, 17:47
You sure theres not someone under the bed ;)

What happens if you ring the other blokes number?

Shaun
16-07-2007, 18:09
You're "exchange" is in the green box at the end of the street unlike with BT where it is in a big building in town.

An engineer will need to pop out and look at it - assuming the issue is a crossed wire there and not an issue further up the line.

I still go with the under the bed explanation! ;) :p:

Callumpy
16-07-2007, 18:13
My mum and dad had it before, then it stopped.

Stan the Man
16-07-2007, 18:17
If there is it must be the thinest guy in the world to be under my bed:D

Thanks for the info guys, i daren't ring him again;)

If it can be sorted remotely why have someone wait in for a tech:confused: the fault surely can't be in my house

v0id
16-07-2007, 18:42
you sure this bloke isn't trying to pull a fast one, and has been fiddling inside the cab to steal services

Toto
16-07-2007, 18:46
You are not the first (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/16/not_so_virgin_number/) this has happened too.

Stan the Man
16-07-2007, 19:04
You are not the first (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/16/not_so_virgin_number/) this has happened too.

:D:D:D

Toto
16-07-2007, 19:05
Made me smile too. :):)

Stan the Man
16-07-2007, 19:05
you sure this bloke isn't trying to pull a fast one, and has been fiddling inside the cab to steal services

It's possible, but i'm not going to accuse him of it:D

Toto
16-07-2007, 19:08
Hey, seriously though, I hope you get it sorted.

Chris
16-07-2007, 19:20

I must admit, I wondered if the bloke might have been stealing services ... but not from VM. ;) :D

/gets coat

Hugh
16-07-2007, 20:20
My mum and dad had it before, then it stopped.
Probably explains why you are an only child..........:D

greencreeper
16-07-2007, 20:22
Probably explains why you are an only child..........:D

We think alike :rofl:

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-07-2007, 21:34

Are you sure :Yikes:

Hugh
16-07-2007, 21:36

Are you sure :Yikes:

It's a Leeds thang :D

lauzjp
16-07-2007, 23:51
omg, that would really freak me out if some random person answered my landline?!

PS1
17-07-2007, 12:15

or fiddling somewhere else while you are out(if you know what i mean)......
while the cats away............................................:D :D:D:D:D:D

Stan the Man
17-07-2007, 17:28
:Yikes::D:D

on in an hour!
17-07-2007, 19:09
If there is it must be the thinest guy in the world to be under my bed:D

Thanks for the info guys, i daren't ring him again;)

If it can be sorted remotely why have someone wait in for a tech:confused: the fault surely can't be in my house
the fault is deffo in the street cab or local exchange,simply put, your No has been mis-wired to another customer,bet if you asked him he's just recently been installed :(

greencreeper
17-07-2007, 19:27
I have to say this is why I'm sticking with BT and waiting for a TV-only package from NTL - or going with Sky+. We know how bad the broadband service is, so the phone service can only be as bad :shrug: Presumably the engineer got confused with all those wires - or is colour blind. Blue, red, ah what the hell.

on in an hour!
17-07-2007, 19:32
I have to say this is why I'm sticking with BT and waiting for a TV-only package from NTL - or going with Sky+. We know how bad the broadband service is, so the phone service can only be as bad :shrug: Presumably the engineer got confused with all those wires - or is colour blind. Blue, red, ah what the hell.
no red wires involved in residential telco installation creeper ;)

danielf
17-07-2007, 19:34

No blue-red colour blindness either (unless you're both red-green and blue-yellow colour blind) ;)

greencreeper
17-07-2007, 19:36

No blue-red colour blindness either (unless you're both red-green and blue-yellow colour blind) ;)

There's always one or two who get bogged down in the details :D

Do they check such things when hiring engineers?

Stan the Man
17-07-2007, 22:31
Fault outside my house! Thanks lads very much as i expected, so India send a tech to my house:confused:

And thanks everyone else for your informative & sometimes humourous observations:tu: