PDA

View Full Version : Virgin gives mum "young nympho's" phone number

Stuart
16-07-2007, 14:59
a 34 year old mum got her brand new phone line from Virgin, but was somewhat shocked to start getting phone calls from men wanting to speak to the "young nympho"..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/16/not_so_virgin_number/

In this case, the Virgin name seems somewhat ironic.

Chris
16-07-2007, 16:25
:erm:

I can't help but notice she didn't want the number changed, even when it was offered. If my kids were old enough to be answering the phone themselves, I wouldn't be taking any chances that they might end up taking messages from the dirty mac brigade.

Web-Junkie
16-07-2007, 18:20
I wouldn't be taking any chances that they might end up taking messages from the dirty mac brigade.

What have you got against Apple computer owners? :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
16-07-2007, 18:29
What have you got against Apple computer owners? :D

He is one :D

---------- Post added at 17:29 ---------- Previous post was at 17:28 ----------

I thought a number had to be vacant for 3 months before it could be reused

greencreeper
16-07-2007, 21:35
We'll send an engineer

Presumably he can chat to them instead :rofl:

xkennyx
17-07-2007, 12:16
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=17851339

Just goes to show VM's Phone service is as good as there Broadband...Sort it out VM.

lostandconfused
17-07-2007, 12:21
theres not a lot VM can do. All telco companies re-use numbers from a list as its not feasable to give every customer a brand new phone number when they first join and everytime they request one.

VM have offered to give this customer a new phone number and they have declined.

handyman
17-07-2007, 12:57
http://thisisplymouth.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=181429&command=displayContent&sourceNode=229968&home=yes&more_nodeId1=133174&contentPK=17851339

Just goes to show VM's Phone service is as good as there Broadband...Sort it out VM.

All telco companies re-use numbers. Also 'crossed line' and 'party line' are not terms that were invented by VM they have been countless cases with bt as well. It just so happens that in a bizarre set of events this happens to have been particularly distressing for those involved.

I have to say that had that call come into me on the faults desk then it would have been sorted that day and not dragged on.

xspeedyx
17-07-2007, 13:03
This could happen with any phone company is cant be stopped as post said before the numbers are reused

NTLVictim
17-07-2007, 13:20
All telco companies re-use numbers. Also 'crossed line' and 'party line' are not terms that were invented by VM they have been countless cases with bt as well. It just so happens that in a bizarre set of events this happens to have been particularly distressing for those involved.

I have to say that had that call come into me on the faults desk then it would have been sorted that day and not dragged on.

I'm sure it would have been ..:) The phrase in the article that popped out for me was "..explaining the situation over and over again."

Does that mean that VM CS has a high plank to good'un ratio, ie for every Handyman there are 10 or 20 gizmoids??:shocked:

handyman
17-07-2007, 13:31
I'm sure it would have been ..:) The phrase in the article that popped out for me was "..explaining the situation over and over again."

Does that mean that VM CS has a high plank to good'un ratio, ie for every Handyman there are 10 or 20 gizmoids??:shocked:

There's no longer a handyman there ;-) (left VM for better things in 2003).

Many of VM's major CS problems will have started when they started consolidating call centres and moving to 1 centre billing system. Before that systems like ICMS and cable master where fairly robust and manned by local people many of whom had a number of years under their belt. I'm not saying that they were 'plank free' far from it but you stood a better chance. (Also cable master had footprints so planks could be identified)

Certainly the early Teesside faults department which was formed from the most knowledgeable CS staff provided excellent service. When I joined there was a team of 12 with 2 team leaders. Most of the 12 had a given speciality that they offered and it was a great team. At the same time Notts and Kirklees were to be merged into our centre and we had 20 temp staff brought in. I remember the training sessions were a joke, Tag and Emma A tried to teach them about cable systems and they were joking and messing about like school kids. It was embarrassing.

After I left I had to call in as a customer to sort out a problem. I spoke to 1 girl in Glasgow who explained that 100's of new staff had been taken on due to the other centres closing. She had been there such a short period of time she did not know who her team leader was yet she was there on the phones expected to be providing good service.

I reckon I'd still go back to VM Teesside if a suitable job appeared (and they'd have me) It 'was' a nice place to work.

budwieser
17-07-2007, 23:02
a 34 year old mum got her brand new phone line from Virgin, but was somewhat shocked to start getting phone calls from men wanting to speak to the "young nympho"..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/07/16/not_so_virgin_number/

In this case, the Virgin name seems somewhat ironic.

Go On.............. Tell us the number......:D

m419
21-07-2007, 20:13
Its hardly Virgin's fault, because numbers do have to be re-used!

Telewest gave me two numbers by mistake, one was an old number by Loot, so we had a few calls asking for Loot and I suddenly got a clever thought. When we were out and about and needed to make calls home, we used BT's Reverse call charge service via 100, we made loads of these and got away with them all!!!

Stuart
21-07-2007, 20:40
Its hardly Virgin's fault, because numbers do have to be re-used!

I just thought it was funny..

m419
21-07-2007, 20:44
Yeah I thought it was too lolBut it really strikes me why she won't change her phone number!Also, she has no right to complain in that case! And why didn't she keep her BT phone number as she said she was using BT before hand.