PDA

View Full Version : Cover Letter

ikthius
15-07-2007, 23:47
hey everyone,

I am applying for a job, and I think my CV and cover letter let me down, so I redesigned my CV, and am currently happy with it, although I am not so sure about the cover letter.

could someone please read it and let me know what they think, and if they can recommend any alternatives. My girlfriend helped me with this one, but she is not happy with the paragraph that says I would welcome....

I appreciate it if you could help

ik

smiffing
16-07-2007, 00:07
How I would write it.

My Address

15 July 2007

Dear Sir / Madam,

I am writing to you to express my desire to further my career within your organisation. I have been working for A Council as a Fitness Instructor for over 10 years and now I believe it is time for a fresh and exciting new challenge for myself.

I have previously completed a distance learning course with Computeach International in Java Programming. This course was self funded and for the most time self taught. The course covered additional languages such as Pascal, HTML, DHTML, CSS and JavaScript. However, to progress within the I.T. industry I am willing to learn new skills and languages, either through on the job training or open learning programmes undertaken in my own time.

Most recently, I have created a booking sheet using Java which implements SQL statements to connect to a Microsoft Access database. This program stores booking information for my current employer’s clients which will improve the efficiency of calculating statistics for generating management reports as currently this is done through a paper based system. Furthermore, the program makes it easier for gym staff to book clients in, see the day’s appointments and edit existing appointment details.

I would welcome the chance to continue my career in a company that excels in training their staff and have a busy and dynamic business ethic.

Attached is my curriculum vitae for your consideration.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely

My Name

ikthius
16-07-2007, 00:38
I am not furthering my career, I want to change it totally. so I doubt using continue would suffice in this instance

ik

smiffing
16-07-2007, 00:41
I am not furthering my career, I want to change it totally. so I doubt using continue would suffice in this instance

ik

Perhaps "re model my career" would do then.

;)

TheDaddy
16-07-2007, 19:28
Imo that is a pretty good effort, these letters are only really important if they are done badly, a lot seem to desperate or waffle, yours is alright, it will get their attention and should get them to give more consideration to your cv.

ikthius
16-07-2007, 22:38
Thanks theDaddy,

I spent lots of time on it and the girlfriend helps loads too, infact she re-wrote most of it to make it sound better.

ik

smiffing
16-07-2007, 23:42
Just remember that the covering letter only introduces the CV.

ian@huth
17-07-2007, 00:06
Just remember that the covering letter only introduces the CV.You should have several CV's which are tailored to suit differing applications that you make.

smiffing
17-07-2007, 00:09
You should have several CV's which are tailored to suit differing applications that you make.

I have one, it details the truth about my education and work experience including post education qualifications, I have never been out of work.

handyman
17-07-2007, 00:17
I have one, it details the truth about my education and work experience including post education qualifications, I have never been out of work.

I have 1 (well several) I like to try keep my cv short and sweet so I have short and long description for jobs. I cut and paste in order to highlight certain areas to suit the type of jobs I am applying for.

I am able to do anything from contract centre team leader / manager to marketing and seem to be moving towards E-marketing and SEO these days. My cv evolves with my jobs requirements. I too have not been out of work and recently turned down 2 jobs.

ian@huth
17-07-2007, 00:18
I am not suggesting telling any untruths in your CV's. You may apply for positions at varying levels and should tailor your CV's to suit. Many CV's go straight into the waste basket because the applicant appears far too highly qualified for the position applied for. You can highlight differing aspects of your past work experience which fits in with the position that your are applying for.

smiffing
17-07-2007, 00:18
I have a trade, at the moment I am not using it, the CV fits for any job I apply for.

Pia
17-07-2007, 01:22
You should listen to TheDaddy, he's brill he helped me loads with my CV and covering letter:D:tu:

cookie_365
17-07-2007, 22:52
Is it possible to find out the name of the person so you can write to them personally? Show's you're interested enough in the company to take the time to do some research
Not 100% sure, but shouldn't it be enthusiasm for?
Have you listed your skills in the order the job ad mentioned them? Eg did the ad put java skills first?
Do you really need to say you'd be prepared to learn any skills in your own time? That might imply you're desperate or that you'll put up with any crap if you get the job. Could you maybe emphasise the part where you have learned skills in your own time - so they know you're flexible without actually promising anything?
Did you come up with the idea for the booking sheet yourself as well as developing it? If you did, sell the way you recognised there was a business need to improve the booking system, analysed the resources and solutions available, and developed and managed a solution. Those skills are valuable everywhere.
It's 10 O'clock so my brain can't come up with anything else right now
Except go Ik go :cleader:

ikthius
17-07-2007, 23:21
Is it possible to find out the name of the person so you can write to them personally? Show's you're interested enough in the company to take the time to do some research
Not 100% sure, but shouldn't it be enthusiasm for?
Have you listed your skills in the order the job ad mentioned them? Eg did the ad put java skills first?
Do you really need to say you'd be prepared to learn any skills in your own time? That might imply you're desperate or that you'll put up with any crap if you get the job. Could you maybe emphasise the part where you have learned skills in your own time - so they know you're flexible without actually promising anything?
Did you come up with the idea for the booking sheet yourself as well as developing it? If you did, sell the way you recognised there was a business need to improve the booking system, analysed the resources and solutions available, and developed and managed a solution. Those skills are valuable everywhere.
It's 10 O'clock so my brain can't come up with anything else right now
Except go Ik go :cleader:

cheers cookie,

yes it is for a java job, but they want fresh starts/recent graduates with no experience, to work on java and SQL.
I think I mentioned that the current system is paper based, so I was hoping that they understood.

the rest I think I understand where your coming from. but knowing that I stated I finished a distance learning course shows I am willing to learn on my own.

ik

redhand
18-07-2007, 16:02
A covering letter does not just introduce your CV, it is the most important part. The CV will only be there for back up to the letter, so therefore you need to insure that you sell yourself in the letter.