PDA

View Full Version : 20mb broadband running at 1mb ...............

stef73
15-07-2007, 17:11
hi guys new to the forum im wondering whether anyone can help me as dlink virgin and usenet say its the others problem and ive spent thirty quid calling them! my 20mb broadband is fine until i put a dlink dir 635 wireless router on it then the speed has dropped to just 1mb lol im so fed up with it all i tell you i just need some info and ideas on how to set this router up properly cos the tech guys in india on the phone are reading from a script off the screen im desperate so my kid can have xbox live and other pc running at a proper speed any help and ideas greatly appreciated thanks

---------- Post added at 16:11 ---------- Previous post was at 16:07 ----------

oh by the way the wireless connection is wicked just the broadband when its going thru the router its the wireless n running at 270mbps

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 17:14
Are u using the pc's lan card?

homealone
15-07-2007, 17:29
What happens if you connect the router to the pc with ethernet cable, rather than wireless?

Have you tried a different channel when using it wireless?

stef73
15-07-2007, 19:48
if i just connect the modem without the router connected goes straight back up to 18.5 -19.5 meg again

homealone
15-07-2007, 19:53
if i just connect the modem without the router connected goes straight back up to 18.5 -19.5 meg again

but what about if you try the router connected with an ethernet cable, rather than wireless?

stef73
15-07-2007, 20:02
right the wireless router is connected with ethernet cable to the pc the wireless is working fine its just the speed drop in the internet thats bothering me the wireless connection says its running at 270mbps on the other pc with a dwa-140 useb adapter which i bought at the same time.

Paul K
15-07-2007, 22:53
Try a speed test while wireless and then again when wired. Will help pinpoint if its a router setup issue or just the wireless signal/ channel.

stef73
16-07-2007, 19:40
k mate youre misunderstanding me the wireless part of the router is fine im connected to another pc at 270mbps or so it says with the adapter software on the other pc. my problem is when the router is the ntl 250 modem is connected to the router the speed drops from 20mbps to 1mbps and lower at the minute sorry for the delay virgin went off at 9pm lastnight and only came back on an hour ago

Paul K
16-07-2007, 20:00
So your network side of things is running at full speed but the speed from the modem is slow? Network speed between 2 PCs on a router is not affected by the modem, only your BB speed should be impacted by the NTL modem.
What speed do you get on the internet connection if you do not use the router? Also is this speed the same for a PC connected wirelessly or is it slower than a PC connected via ethernet cable?
I take it that you are complaining about your internet speed, checking your speed via a speed test with the router in place and a PC connected wirelessly, then with the same PC connected via ethernet and then finally with the same PC connected directly to the NTL modem is the best way to pinpoint the fault. It will take a while and seem like a pain in the bum but it is invaluable information.

stef73
16-07-2007, 20:33
lol i did all that yesterday with dlink! so i cab tell you with the ntl modem connected with ethernet cable im getting internet speeds of 18.5mbps-19.5mbps so about 2.5 meg which is really great for downloading stuff which is why i bought it. when i connected the router the wireless side of things is great however when im on the interner its lowest was at 246kbps yes kbps! and the highest was 2mbps thats tested with cnet.com pcpitstop and iolo systems mechanic and the rate it shows you on newsbin downloading from usenetserver, i originally thought it was them but it wasnt because when i removed the router and just put the ntl home 250 modem back on its own the speed shot up to 19.7mbps so dont know if thats any help. maybe theres a way to open all the ports on the router?

---------- Post added at 19:18 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

i just changed the mtu from 1500 to 2000 with no effect so put it back to 1500 and its going up to 4mbps then dropping off to nothing and back up again

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

now its up to 12.7mbps!!! and ive done nothing!

---------- Post added at 19:24 ---------- Previous post was at 19:21 ----------

now its up to 18.5mbps-19/5mbps lol how weird is that

---------- Post added at 19:33 ---------- Previous post was at 19:24 ----------

the next job is to connect xbox live and media centre from 360 and friday a ps3 lol

shane_uk
10-11-2007, 16:23
stef73 did you ever figure out what the problem was as I bought a dir-635 yesterday and it seems to slow my 20meg connection down to around 7 meg But when I connect my computer straight to the modem it shoots back up 20meg again seems to be a bit of a strange fish this router

Bit more info all computers are wired and the firmware is version 1.09

Pedro1
10-11-2007, 18:38
The NAT firewall on most routers can cause slow speeds.
Try disabling it if you can to see if it helps.

In some routers you may need to set the ip outside the NAT settings in the routers DMZ settings.

shane_uk
10-11-2007, 19:42
Yeap tried all of that mate thanks any way. I just think there is something very strange going on with this router as stef73 seemed to be having the same problems to

SOSAGES
10-11-2007, 21:56
The NAT firewall on most routers can cause slow speeds.

i find that bit of advice shocking :(

Horace
10-11-2007, 22:48
Shot in the dark : Check the QOS engine in the router config page under "Advanced". Turn it off and see if that helps.

shane_uk
11-11-2007, 14:26
Horace I thought for a minute you may of hit the nail on the head but no .I just can’t get this router to go above 10meg every think is fine if I plug any of my pc’s straight in to the modem

Thanks mate