PDA

View Full Version : Have Virgin Media just made a huge mistake.

badboybubby
14-07-2007, 16:31
By introducing traffic shaping between 4pm and 12,00 midnight VM are affectly stopping people using their broadband at 'high speed' when they actually want to use it at 'high speed'.

In my case, this made me question if I could justify 37 quid a month for what is effectivly a very slow service during peak hours which is when I get home from work and want to use the internet.

The answer for me was NO and after several years of 'coughing up' the full price for broadband I decided to drop my package to the 18 quid per month option.

I am sure that I am representative of many broadband users on here and can't be the only one who has made this decision as lets be honest, there are much better deals out there at the moment.

Its only my opinion but I believe that VM didn't really consider what they were doing when they introduced traffic shaping.

bopdude
14-07-2007, 16:35
as lets be honest, there are much better deals out there at the moment.

Care to tell us where and with who ?

Its only my opinion but I believe that VM didn't really consider what they were doing when they introduced traffic shaping.

It was either shape or let the network grind to a halt :shrug:

J.D
14-07-2007, 16:46

It's obviously dependant on the person's area. I for one have got a lot of options. Be and Bulldog are the only ones I'd go with but there are loads more enabled on my exchange. I'm lucky enough to live about a quarter mile from my exchange ;).

I'm a gamer, not a heavy downloader but I like to have the option to get what I want a whole lot quicker with Newsgroups as with a smaller line it would just be annoying to wait as I get full 10meg 24/7.

I'm waiting on this upgrade to happen (this month for me) to see if I'm going to stay at Virgin. My speeds are great yeah but my ping and lag in games is acting up a whole lot more than it used too so I'm starting to doubt me paying for this line. If it sorts itself out after the upgrade I will stay but if it stays the same or worse then I'm off to another ISP. I've been with Telewest since before they started bringing out broadband so it will be a sad goodbye as I've always loved my service, just wish my games didn't start to suffer since the Virgin Media move.

Rains
14-07-2007, 17:19

It was either shape or let the network grind to a halt :shrug:I don't think so if there net work can not hande it then they should have just left it the way it was on 10mb when people are paying £37 a month capping is the wrong way to go cable is the most expensive bb out there and it is also missleading unlimted when its not i can see my self switching to a adsl provider like be and yes i can get aleast 16mb with them

Bill C
14-07-2007, 17:26
By introducing traffic shaping between 4pm and 12,00 midnight VM are affectly stopping people using their broadband at 'high speed' when they actually want to use it at 'high speed'.

In my case, this made me question if I could justify 37 quid a month for what is effectivly a very slow service during peak hours which is when I get home from work and want to use the internet.

The answer for me was NO and after several years of 'coughing up' the full price for broadband I decided to drop my package to the 18 quid per month option.

I am sure that I am representative of many broadband users on here and can't be the only one who has made this decision as lets be honest, there are much better deals out there at the moment.

I just love it when someone makes a post like this. Then makes a statement that x is better and y is better, But they NEVER point out where there info comes from.

Care to enlighten us :).

Chris
14-07-2007, 17:28
I can't see any reason why these traffic shaping comments need *another* new thread.

Please use the search function before starting new threads.

There is a well-established thread discussing traffic shaping here: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33613264-traffic-shaping-affecting-all-tiers.html

Thread closed.