PDA

View Full Version : best broadband for students?

t1m
14-07-2007, 13:59
Does any1 know the best deal for wireless broadband for 8 students living in Manchester England?

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 14:11
Try BT, if its 8 students you probably dont want virgin medai!

MovedGoalPosts
14-07-2007, 14:18
8 users on one residential connection will probably exceed the terms of service of most ISPs. Realistically, if you are to share a single connection you need the fastest services possible, and that will be the highest cost. The alternative would be two connections into the property, one cable, one ADSL so you can split the load.

ISPs supply the services wired. You'll need a router to enable sharing with more than one user, so make that a wireless router and you can all share accordingly.

Virgin Media, in their ntl days, offered a 9 month contract for students. Don't know if that is still available.

AbyssUnderground
14-07-2007, 15:00
8 users on one residential connection will probably exceed the terms of service of most ISPs. Realistically, if you are to share a single connection you need the fastest services possible, and that will be the highest cost. The alternative would be two connections into the property, one cable, one ADSL so you can split the load.

ISPs supply the services wired. You'll need a router to enable sharing with more than one user, so make that a wireless router and you can all share accordingly.

Virgin Media, in their ntl days, offered a 9 month contract for students. Don't know if that is still available.

VM won't know how many people are using it anyway. And wasn't it that they didn't support more than 3 computers on the network? They can't stop you using more than 'x' number of computers. If that was the case they'd have stopped me a long time ago. I use 4 on average but I've had up to 10 on my network at once.

piggy
14-07-2007, 15:08
the 4 meg 9 month deal and a wireless router works fine in our "student bedsit land"

Toto
14-07-2007, 16:08
They can't stop you using more than 'x' number of computers. If that was the case they'd have stopped me a long time ago. I use 4 on average but I've had up to 10 on my network at once.

Incorrect, there are plenty of reasons in the current AUP that allows VM to suspend Internet services to any PC, or network equipment it feels is in breach of the AUP.

If a student wishes to take up the service, and offer to share it amongst his/her housemates he can, he does however have to accept all responsibility for its use, whether he is aware of it or not.

It only takes one person abusing the service to have it shut down for everyone else.

Essentially though, VM can't technically see how many PC's are connected to a network, but for the reasons above that is no issue anyway.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 16:39
you might want about 20mbps for 8 students

piggy
14-07-2007, 17:45
@toto
he does however have to accept all responsibility for its use, whether he is aware of it or not.

says who?
if the conx is unsecured which is daft but not illegal anybody could use it for anything so how could you hold the acount holder responsible?

Pia
14-07-2007, 18:31
My friend lives in a student house with about 6 or 7 people and they have a BT Home Hub, http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayProduct.do?productId=CON-3305
i've never known it to let them down and the house is huuuge yet they all still get a pretty good signal even from the top room of the house.

chickendippers
14-07-2007, 18:42
Sky broadband offer a free wireless router...dunno if it's any good though.

Toto
14-07-2007, 20:31
@toto
he does however have to accept all responsibility for its use, whether he is aware of it or not.

says who?
if the conx is unsecured which is daft but not illegal anybody could use it for anything so how could you hold the acount holder responsible?

Says the AUP.

It doesn't have to be illegal for it to be an abuse of service.

The account holder is responsible for ALL equipment it connects to the cable modem/Internet Service, AND who uses that equipment. If its insecure in anyway, then the account holder has the responsibility to secure it.

Red the AUP, its all in there.

piggy
14-07-2007, 21:06
Says the AUP.

The account holder is responsible for ALL equipment it connects to the cable modem/Internet Service, AND who uses that equipment. If its insecure in anyway, then the account holder has the responsibility to secure it.

ok sorry i thought you were refering to a law

RXP
14-07-2007, 21:35
Virgin's the best, for 8 students you'll need 20mbit. Used to have it back in my student houses, never any speed issues. I think they have excess capacity in the student arears because they know what a greedy lot we are with mp3's and xvids ;-)

The AUP prolly only allows for 3 users, but who cares.

Rik
14-07-2007, 23:49
Says the AUP.

Well said that man.

Saying your wireless network has been hacked or violated just wont wash these days.

Its down to the users to make sure their WLANs are secure.

Too many wallies around these days just plug in their wireless router without giving a thought to any security or even changing the DEFAULT PASSWORD!!

Good Lord! ;)

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 10:27
Toto is right
there are plenty of reasons in the current AUP that allows VM to suspend Internet services to any PC, or network equipment it feels is in breach of the AUP.

If a student wishes to take up the service, and offer to share it amongst his/her housemates he can, he does however have to accept all responsibility for its use, whether he is aware of it or not.

It only takes one person abusing the service to have it shut down for everyone else.

Essentially though, VM can't technically see how many PC's are connected to a network, but for the reasons above that is no issue anyway.

I rang VM a week ago and they said to help their bandwith they are going to be disconnecting people who are abusing or overusing the services provided
eg: sombody with a home broadband package using it for businesses my get their contract killed.

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 10:43
Toto is right

I rang VM a week ago and they said to help their bandwith they are going to be disconnecting people who are abusing or overusing the services provided
eg: sombody with a home broadband package using it for businesses my get their contract killed.

I highly doubt that, although you do have a point when you say that sombody using their home service for business purposes may be in breach of the contract conditions, but then that's different to overusing the service.

All things running well, 20mb divided by eight students is 2.5mb per student assuming the QOS is working correctly, (also assuming they're all using the connection at once) which should be enough bandwidth pp. :)

piggy
15-07-2007, 11:21
Well said that man.

Saying your wireless network has been hacked or violated just wont wash these days.

Too many wallies around these days just plug in their wireless router without giving a thought to any security or even changing the DEFAULT PASSWORD!!

Good Lord! ;)

we are getting a bit off topic here but ............ a unsecured wlan certainly does wash you are NOT responsible for some person using your conx for a illiegal purpose, if that were the case free access points would never work . as i posted earlier it is dumb not to use encryption but not illegal.
also would you say account holder is responible if they are using encryption and they get hacked?

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 11:24
we are getting a bit off topic here but ............ a unsecured wlan certainly does wash you are NOT responsible for some person using your conx for a illiegal purpose, if that were the case free access points would never work . as i posted earlier it is dumb not to use encryption but not illegal.
also would you say account holder is responible if they are using encryption and they get hacked?

And that's where people such as Ofcom come into play :)

RXP
15-07-2007, 20:13

Care to cite a source for that? Or is this another example of internets lawyers!

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 20:16
Nobody can make anything entirely secure. Hell, the Pyramid in America was hacked into by a teenager a few years back!

Toto
15-07-2007, 21:16
Care to cite a source for that? Or is this another example of internets lawyers!

OK, just for you and no further discussions on this please. Section 5.

5.2. The security of the services used by you from your home is your responsibility. It is also your responsibility to ensure that you keep your passwords secure. We are not responsible for any negative consequences (e.g. lost or corrupted files) incurred by your failure to employ adequate security measures.
5.3. Users are responsible for the security of their own devices that are directly or indirectly connected to our network. This includes, but is not limited to: PCs, wired and wireless home networking devices and games consoles.This can be found here. (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/legal/oncable/acceptableuse.html)

This is VM's AUP policy, if you use their Internet service, you are bound by this.

In simple terms the security of any piece of equipment is your responsibility.

RXP
16-07-2007, 08:30
No further discussion? Why? Someone brings up a point, you cant counter it?

Virgin's AUP != the law.

Rik wasn't referring to the AUP, more like it's a legal obligation that I make my WLAN router secure. If that were indeed the case, then ISP's would have liabilty for hackers on their network. They don't.

All Virgin can do is kick you off their network, not hold you accountable in any meangingful way. Furthermore, they seem to let cloned cable modem hackers back in after paying like a £50 fine or something. They don't care.

Toto
16-07-2007, 10:02
No further discussion? Why? Someone brings up a point, you cant counter it?

No, I meant in relation to this thread. By all means discuss VM's user policy, but open up a new thread or locate an older thread that discusses the merrits of the policy.

Virgin's AUP != the law.

Uhm, a bit strong, but yes, in fact everyone who uses VM's network is subject to the user policy.

Rik wasn't referring to the AUP, more like it's a legal obligation that I make my WLAN router secure. If that were indeed the case, then ISP's would have liabilty for hackers on their network. They don't.

We'd need Riks confirmation of your first point. Your point though that you could not be legally responsible for the computer misuse act or some other crime associated with the Internet is a whole other discussion, and I am certainly no legal authority in this case.

All Virgin can do is kick you off their network, not hold you accountable in any meangingful way.

That would be enough for VM, it then becomes another networks problem.

Furthermore, they seem to let cloned cable modem hackers back in after paying like a £50 fine or something. They don't care.

You have proof of this?

Chris
16-07-2007, 10:12
Calm down, please.

This little 'disagreement' isn't even on-topic. ;)

RXP
16-07-2007, 10:50
lawl

;-)

xpod
16-07-2007, 12:16
Sometimes this place just sooo reminds me of certain other forums i frequent;)

Anyway,The only reason we even have 20Mb broadband ourselves is so we can eventually have 5 or 6 machines connected.We already have 4,although only 3 need to share the 20Mb line just now as one uses the stb connection.

I cant see what other service 8 young students could possibly have:D.....BE`s 24Mb mabey?
Either that or as someone mentioned get two connections(like ourselves)to split the load.

CVD
17-07-2007, 04:09
Be would be perfect, it's 24mb, they throw in a wireless router that can have loads of connections going on and your not committed to a 12 month contract.

dev
17-07-2007, 04:24

free access points work by tracking who did what. you are responsible for your connection as you are the first suspect for any illegal activity, it is then up to you to prove otherwise and point the authorities at the correct suspect. if you can't prove that, you're knackered

wtaylor82
17-07-2007, 07:11
Recommendation find a unlimited service like Be. We have some various students with our Service (Not Virgin Media) and some of there usage exceeds a terabyte of downloads a month which is totally unacceptable.

Switching to BT and Other ADSL Max providers will see you heavily capped and punished, VM will start doing so around 3-4gb per day, shared between 8 ppl and it will go quickly.

What I recommend is that you go to www.samknows.com enter your postcode and telephone number for an availabilty check (Telephone number is more accurate), see if Be are in your area and check out how far your from the exchange.

For up-to 1.5k from the exchange your good, probably around 15mb-18mb service, sitting on the exchange I have received speeds of 22mb. Further then somewhere around 10mb.

The service is good, the support is good, the tech support is 0906 and its 24mb for £24.00

piggy
17-07-2007, 14:33
http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/02/riaa_contests_d.html

nobody knows yet lets wait for the law

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/riaa-wants-to-kill-open-wifi-puppies-babies-239157.php