PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Is Slow

Callumpy
13-07-2007, 22:05
Hello... Everyone seems to be happy with virgin as their ISP, but im not!!! Its really really slow. I had to ring them up to tell them that im only getting 0.568Mbps instead of 8Mbps; they said its my wireless internet connection and its my fault for setting up file and printer sharing on my computers.

Well if it was because ive set file and printer sharin on my computers it would only slow it down by about 1MBps.

Is anybody else havin problems with virgin media? :D

Data
13-07-2007, 22:22
You're happy not to be VM, so what is your point?
Well if it was because ive set file and printer sharin on my computers it would only slow it down by about 1MBps.
Nope. It has no effect.

Callumpy
13-07-2007, 22:30
My point is virgin are really rubbish and slow, im currently wanting to put my ps2 on the internet but theres no point because its so slow. and my other prob is they were trying to blame me, but then they changed their minds and went on to blaming BT for problems in my area. Them probs have been here ages!!!!

Data
13-07-2007, 23:40
Forgive me, but this is cable or phone line? I'm confused.:confused:

Hugh
14-07-2007, 00:07
Hello... Everyone seems to be happy with virgin as their ISP, but im not!!! Its really really slow. I had to ring them up to tell them that im only getting 0.568Mbps instead of 8Mbps; they said its my wireless internet connection and its my fault for setting up file and printer sharing on my computers.

Is anybody else havin problems with virgin media? :D
Have you tried it without the Wireless connection, and if so, what speed do you get?

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 11:33
It is a phone line connection, and yes i have tried it without the wireless router plugged in. its still at the slow crappy speeds

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:00
Hardly VM's fault then is it they use the bt network not there own for adsl.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:03
bt must suck too then, been slow for ages. it used to be the correct speed and that was the month i signed up, since then its been 7Mbps slower than its ment to be!!!

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:08
What is your sync speed in the router

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:12
54Mbps?

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:15
For example i am on adsl atm as we not moved yet but will be going on VM, this is the speeds in my router.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 5696 kbps 832 kbps
Line Attenuation 43 db 12.5 db
Noise Margin 15 db 9 db

The bold one being the important one for me, which gives me around 4 and a half meg download speed so 520kbs ish, if you on adsl you should have the same sort of thing in your routers settings.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:28
ADSL Status

ADSL status shows the ADSL physical layer status.

ADSL Firmware Version: 5.00.04.00 - 5.00.03.00 - 5.00.03.00 Annex A - 01.07.2b - 0.52
ADSL Software Version: V3.00B01T02.UK-A.20060208
Line State Connected
Modulation ADSL_G.dmt
Annex Mode ANNEX_A
Max Tx Power -38 dBm/Hz

Item Downstream Upstream Unit
SNR Margin 12 20 dB
Line Attenuation 26 17 dB
Data Rate 7616 448 kbps

---------- Post added at 11:28 ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 ----------

Is That OK???

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:35
You need to phone someone for sure you fall in this region on your speeds 7392 - 7967 6.5 Mbps , so you should be hitting a good 750kbs ish, have you tried using the bt speed test http://speedtester.bt.com/, this should tell you your lines set bras profile(you may have to test a few times before it works, it is slow just leave it) when it asks for your login it means the user name you use for adsl.

For example i have run one on my line and this is my set profile, the only reason mine is so high is i get regular re-syncs but 4000 is what i normally get which is 4 meg and a sync of around 4768 normally.

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 4000 kbps
DSL connection rate: 832 kbps(UP-STREAM) 5696 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3684 kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:39
Yay Hallelujah, my internet speed has gone up from 0.567Mbps to 1.8Mbps. Still isnt what im paying for. Go Virgin, Go Virgin, you can do it. You Can Make it faster! lol!

---------- Post added at 11:39 ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 ----------

i'll try the bt tester at the mo i use www.freespeedtest.com

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:43
Never use speed tests and say its a problem with the vm, for example according to the one you are using i am on 1.7mbs adsl, but when i download off my newsserver for example i max out at 475kbs, try the blueyonder site http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/ i just tried it and maxed out at 475kbs, the amount of threads i see on the web and people always using speed tests as a guide.

The bt one i posted isn't a test its to see what bras profile is set on your line, so you can find out if you are getting the speeds you should be if not you need to contact your isp and get them to put a fault report into bt.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:45
Uhhhhhh? the bt tester gave me these results:

IP profile for your line is - 6500 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 7616 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 5750 kbps

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Does that mean im gettin around 5MBps

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:47
6500 is your profile so you should be in the 6-6.5 region, as i said try downloading something off the link i posted http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/demos/ this will give you a much better idea, i say you should hit 600-700kbs of there.

That test is basically saying your profile is ok and there is no problems with your line, if you are getting terrible speeds only other thing i can think of is exchange congestion.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:50
How will i know what speeds im hittin

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 12:52
When you download a demo of that site pick any it will give you the kbs its doing, mine says 468kbs, if you getting the speeds you should be you ought to be getting 600-700kbs.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 12:57
oh yes, of course

---------- Post added at 11:57 ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 ----------

Ive done Another test:

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2597 kbps

When i download it started off at 810kb but went down gradually to about 510kb?

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 13:00
Don't do the bt test at the same time you are downloading.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 13:06
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3457 kbps

---------- Post added at 12:06 ---------- Previous post was at 12:04 ----------

oh sorry dont do it at the same time!!! oops. the last one i did was at the same time. but the one before wasnt. The 1 that said this was with no download:

Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 2597 kbps

nutellajunkie
14-07-2007, 15:08
I find it highly amusing when people say things are crap and slow, and 99% of the time, its because they either dont know, cant work or dont understand the technology they are using, or accessing..

even if dsl was set to 100000mb, youd still only get a naff speed. Until the copper wires are updated, Id perhaps turn to alcoholism.. Or, move to a cabled area :)

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 15:16
I do understand the technology im using even though im only 12 years old, but my internet seems really slow. I have a D-Link DSL-G642T Wireless Router and i set it up myself because nobody else in the family knows how to. Also many other people are complaining about how crappy virgin media is!!!

MovedGoalPosts
14-07-2007, 15:25
To prove your speeds, don't use routers, you want to be directly wired between your modem and PC. That way you've removed as much as possible that can cause external influences.

When I say wired, I mean an ethernet connection.

nutellajunkie
14-07-2007, 15:30
If it were so crap, then why are they so popular?
If they were so crap, why are people still with them?
In the UK, we arent forced to use Virgin, BT or any other big name. We are lucky to live in such a wonderful country with frankly TOO much choice..

Quit complaining, and try another local ISP. Though when I was 12, the only thing I was worried about was my parents finding that crusty sock under my bed, oh how things have changed :)

Appreciate what we have, accept what we don't.

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 16:55
Only problem with tryin another isp is the cancelation charge and changing my email adress on all the things ive signed up for. And on about parents findin things, all i dont want my parents to think is that they are paying for a s***y internet connection.

bonzoe
14-07-2007, 18:47
You're stuck with ADSL/DSL using BT lines whichever ISP you go with unless you are in a cabled area, so don't expect any major improvements.

nffc
14-07-2007, 19:01
Also don't forget all ADSL is "up to" the speed you pay for, so... in real world conditions, unless you're on top of the exchange (and the ACF distance isn't representative of the actual distance the wiring takes, and that's important) with good condition wiring used for the route taken, then you probably won't get the full speed anyway.

It's all subjective.

Unless the ISP's equipment is the problem, it's likely whoever you go with will have the same result, if the line itself is the root cause.

One thing I will say is that if you use the same supplier for phone line and broadband, they can't pass the buck between two different companies. Something to bear in mind, maybe?

As for the "parents finding things" - mega whoosh. Maybe in a year or two it might become sense :D

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 20:03
What if it is my router causing the speed problems, what can i do to make it faster?

nffc
14-07-2007, 20:12
What if it is my router causing the speed problems, what can i do to make it faster?

Get a new one. But you can swap the router for a USB modem or something.

---------- Post added at 19:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Tried resetting the router to defaults?

Callumpy
14-07-2007, 20:27
No havent tried resetting it, the router is a bit faster through a ethernet cable, but i have two computers on the network, a laptop which i can connect by ethernet and a desktop which i cannot connect by ethernet because its too far away. If i need a new router ill go mad, ive had about 5 different routers already!!!

nffc
14-07-2007, 21:01
Probably isn't the router then, in this case.

Unless there is something critical you're doing wrong.

Jabbs
14-07-2007, 22:29
I do understand the technology im using even though im only 12 years old, but my internet seems really slow. I have a D-Link DSL-G642T Wireless Router and i set it up myself because nobody else in the family knows how to. Also many other people are complaining about how crappy virgin media is!!!

Your missing the point again the people that are complaining about VM speeds are not using it via adsl they are using VM's own cable network, VM can't do anything about your speed as they are controlled by the BT exchange you are connected too.

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 10:22
OK. thanx everyone

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 12:20
If it were so crap, then why are they so popular?
If they were so crap, why are people still with them?
In the UK, we arent forced to use Virgin, BT or any other big name. We are lucky to live in such a wonderful country with frankly TOO much choice..

Quit complaining, and try another local ISP. Though when I was 12, the only thing I was worried about was my parents finding that crusty sock under my bed, oh how things have changed :)

Appreciate what we have, accept what we don't.

The fact is though, that he's paying for 8mb/s download speed, and actually only achieving a fration of that.

To be brutally honest this is due to the poor service offered by Virgin Media via DSL lines. It's well know. Virgin are very much like..err, Tiscali, in the way that they limit you. It's sad, but true. And the way I know this? Friends. Three of them on Virgin DSL in total, and they're just sick of the lacklustre service provided. You should also notice that during peak times, speeds drop noticeably. It is of course possible to get a decent line with Virgin, but less so than with other providers. Consider yourself lucky if they don't! :)

nffc
15-07-2007, 14:31
The fact is though, that he's paying for 8mb/s download speed, and actually only achieving a fration of that.

To be brutally honest this is due to the poor service offered by Virgin Media via DSL lines. It's well know. Virgin are very much like..err, Tiscali, in the way that they limit you. It's sad, but true. And the way I know this? Friends. Three of them on Virgin DSL in total, and they're just sick of the lacklustre service provided. You should also notice that during peak times, speeds drop noticeably. It is of course possible to get a decent line with Virgin, but less so than with other providers. Consider yourself lucky if they don't! :)

No, you pay for an up to 8 Mb service.

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 14:45
No, you pay for an up to 8 Mb service.

Even so though, he's only really achieving a fraction of that, unfortunately.

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 14:52
Oh, well. nothin i can do about it at the moment, only get a cancellation charge and then ill have to start a new thread!!!

And i dont want to (:tu:)

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 15:03
Download something from here - http://ati.de/support/driver.html and let us know what speed you get. I find the AMD site very reliable for general speed testing, mostly due to the fact that AMD are in a crisis at the moment..probably

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 15:14
The speed of the download started at about 200kbps and went down to 70ish

---------- Post added at 14:14 ---------- Previous post was at 14:10 ----------

At the moment im trying the bt speedtester at: http://speedtester.bt.com

Sirpingalot
15-07-2007, 15:18
Are you sure you aren't downloading something from, say, Bittorrent? This would have a major effect on download speed regardless of how fast you're sharing files.

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 15:20
Here are the results of the tester:
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 3959 kbps

I dont understand which one of these results is the speed of my internet connection.

and no im not downloading from bittorent and also ive turned limewire off

handyman
15-07-2007, 15:20
I'm a bit confused. For what I've read it does not seem like you unders stand how to properly measure your internet speed. Also have you taken into account any issue with your pc that might be causing slowness.

5 Routers :eek: What are you doing to them? I've still got my initial router working fine from when I had cable bb, Still got the adsl router from when I was with bt. I now have a sky router but only because skys service won't work without any other.

Callumpy
15-07-2007, 15:26
They were all s***. my first one waz ZyXel and ive had a few D-Link ones, the one i had before the one ive got now lost its connectivity. The one ive got now is a D-Link DSL-G624T

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

They were all free anyway, i took them back and asked for new ones!

Hugh
15-07-2007, 19:21
They were all s***. my first one waz ZyXel and ive had a few D-Link ones, the one i had before the one ive got now lost its connectivity. The one ive got now is a D-Link DSL-G624T

---------- Post added at 14:26 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

They were all free anyway, i took them back and asked for new ones!
If you have had five routers, and they were all slow, have you thought the problem might be the other side of the keyboard? ;)

Seriously,though, try a dedicated speed test, with nothing else (except a firewall) running on one pc; connect that PC to the modem directly with a patch cable, then try downloading a large file from one of the sites mentioned earlier in the thread.

I am assuming that you have checked for anything on your PC that might be slowing it down (spyware, etc), by using Ad-Aware or an equivalent?

Have you also checked Windows Task Manager to see if any unknown/unusual processes are running, and how much of your CPU and network connection you are using?

Callumpy
16-07-2007, 17:14
Ive tried that. Virgin have sent me a email about what i can do about it