PDA

View Full Version : How do I register?

foddy
13-07-2007, 13:03
Hi,

I had broadband installed today. The CD is useless, it just gets as far as installing software and doesn't do anything. So, I thought I'd try the "mac" version as there's no need to install any drivers anyway for ethernet access.

I get as far as autoreg, and it asks me for an "11 character serial number" which apparently was supplied with my welcome pack. The engineer who installed the box told me all I'd need is the PIN, which he gave me, and my password which would be my surname.

Firstly, I've not received a welcome pack. I'm willing to believe that it was held up as there is a postal strike on today, but am not entirely convinced.

I rang up 150 to ask them - they suggested trying the modem's MAC address, which is simply wrong. Other than that, he suggested I called a premium rate technical support line!

I refused on the basis that I shouldn't be paying to get myself connected.

Does anyone here know where I can get the serial number from without having a welcome pack?

Not a good start.

Thanks!

fatassmichael
13-07-2007, 13:13
hi foddy,try this, ntl-ct8-cj486.
HTH

smucks
13-07-2007, 13:14
The only thing I can think of you doing is to contact VM support on the phone and they should be able to help you.

Yes VM now use a Premium support line but they should refund the cost of the call due to your problems.

foddy
13-07-2007, 16:46
hi foddy,try this, ntl-ct8-cj486.
HTH
Thanks ... but does everyone get the same code? I wouldn't want to register as someone else, it could cause all sorts of problems!

fatassmichael
13-07-2007, 16:50
yeah, i'm pretty sure everyone does get the same code.

chickendippers
13-07-2007, 16:54
Yup, that's the same as mine. For me it's printed on the inside cover of the instruction manual that came with the installation CD, but I have an old ntl branded one (version 1.5).

foddy
14-07-2007, 10:26
Thanks for everyone's help yesterday. My letter (welcome pack) arrived this morning with the code in it - it was NTL-CT8-CB485 which is a little different to the codes above.

Does anyone happen to know what the difference is? Does it matter which one I used to register?

Thanks.

chickendippers
14-07-2007, 11:17
Which part of the country are you in? Are you in an ex-ntl or ex-Telewest area? That probably makes a difference.

fatassmichael
14-07-2007, 12:47
Are you getting broadband through set top box or stand alone cable modem? I thought new installs were sacm only now?

deltanine
14-07-2007, 12:58
Thanks for everyone's help yesterday. My letter (welcome pack) arrived this morning with the code in it - it was NTL-CT8-CB485 which is a little different to the codes above.

Does anyone happen to know what the difference is? Does it matter which one I used to register?

Thanks.

I wouldnt worry if youve used the old code, its not specific to customers. As long as your service is working

foddy
14-07-2007, 15:51
ex-ntl, cable modem (NTL Home 250). It all appears to be working, so I'm not worried - just curious.

Thanks.

chickendippers
14-07-2007, 18:54
I'm STB, perhaps that's it then?