PDA

View Full Version : cable modem problem

dexterdexter
13-07-2007, 00:53
A friend of mine gave me his cable modem 250 to keep. I tried to use this cable modem on my computer but it does not seem to connect to the internet. I checked to see if the ready status light is on and that is fine. I then try to reinstall the drivers for the cable modem. I went through the wizard until it asked for email address and password. Hence this is my friends modem. I already have another cable modem but unfortunatly it broke. I am thinking the modem my friend gave me has already registered to his name. When i try to type my email and password it does not seem to work. Any chance of helping me out to solve this problem. Thanks. :)

smiffing
13-07-2007, 00:59
I may be wrong but I believe the MAC address has something to do with it.
I am sure a tech will answer soon.

Toilet-Duck
13-07-2007, 01:22
You cant use someone elses modem it wont work you need to contact virgin media if you need a replacement modem.

countbathory
13-07-2007, 01:25
Contact cable BB support, explain to them that your modem has broken and youve got another an you would like to register the mac address. I did have 2 modems an if i wished to swap them over this is what i had to do. But in all honesty be prepared for them to refuse as this modem is not yours and your friend really has no legal right to give it to you or anyone else as it belongs to VM. On the other hand you might get a sympathetic person on the phone who will sort it out for you. either way , good luck.

Halcyon
13-07-2007, 01:41
As already mentioned, if you get a fault with your own modem, you need to contact VirginMedia who will issue you with a replacement free of charge.
This modem will work specifically at the address you live at.

If you have a Virginmedia phone line, call free on 150 otherwise call:
0845 454 1111

Paul
13-07-2007, 01:59
Connecting anything other than a modem supplied to you by VM is against your terms of service, using it to get free access is theft.

You have your answer, please feel free to contact VM support.

Thread closed.