PDA

View Full Version : max d/l and u/l speeds

sonny123
12-07-2007, 18:23
Hi,

I'm on a 4MB connection with VM.
I use a motorolla SB4100 cable modem which is connected to my router via ethernet cable. My netgear WGR614 router came directly from telewest/VM about 2 monthd ago (as did my modem about a year ago). I run windows XP, no firewall and no norton/mcafee software.

I tried speedtest.net and a (couple of others) a few times and on average they tell me:

max d/l speed = 1500 - 1800kbps
max u/l speed = 85 - 350 kbps

At the moment, my ACTUAL max d/l speeds are 350-400 kbps (with good connection). That's cool.

*BUT* my max u/l speed is a paltry 38kbps. I've never seen it above that.

I contatced VM and they want me to call a 0906 number. I don't want to do that.

1. Have you experienced this?
2. someone was telling me to go into my IE settings and to tick 'proxy server' and to fill it with somthing along the lines of :

"colc-cache-2.server.ntli.net" and port 8080 etc..

he said it doubled his speeds.

Is this the only option I have?

Many thanks

Sonny

Paul K
12-07-2007, 18:43
You may find that you get nowhere by changing the proxy as they are being turned off. Does your speed change if you take the router out of the network?

sonny123
12-07-2007, 18:47
Nope it doesn't. I haven't taken it out since i got it but i remember that the speeds were the same before i got it.

I'm interested to know why you think it would make a difference? (i have the wireless radio turned off)

You say they are shutting the proxies? they could take a while fo rthat to happen? till then, I guess that's my only option?

Thanks for replying. I really appreciate the time taken.

ps. I'm just miffed that i'm not getting what i am paying for.

Paul K
12-07-2007, 18:52
Nope some of the proxies are already gone. Take the router out of the line, test your speeds and if nothing changes you can then tell VM that the router is not the culprit (they will try and say it is). Do you know what your signal strength/ levels are?

sonny123
12-07-2007, 19:13
sorry. I'm not sure how to check for signal strength levels. :(

Yep, router taken off doesnt't change anything at all.

p3dr0lina
12-07-2007, 20:32
http://192.168.100.1/

goto that url with ure modem connected and login with root/root, signal strengths are on the upstream and downstream pages.

Sirpingalot
12-07-2007, 21:13
Hi,

I'm on a 4MB connection with VM.
I use a motorolla SB4100 cable modem which is connected to my router via ethernet cable. My netgear WGR614 router came directly from telewest/VM about 2 monthd ago (as did my modem about a year ago). I run windows XP, no firewall and no norton/mcafee software.

I tried speedtest.net and a (couple of others) a few times and on average they tell me:

max d/l speed = 1500 - 1800kbps
max u/l speed = 85 - 350 kbps

At the moment, my ACTUAL max d/l speeds are 350-400 kbps (with good connection). That's cool.

*BUT* my max u/l speed is a paltry 38kbps. I've never seen it above that.

I contatced VM and they want me to call a 0906 number. I don't want to do that.

1. Have you experienced this?
2. someone was telling me to go into my IE settings and to tick 'proxy server' and to fill it with somthing along the lines of :

"colc-cache-2.server.ntli.net" and port 8080 etc..

he said it doubled his speeds.

Is this the only option I have?

Many thanks

Sonny

First of all, speedtest sites are notoriously unreliable for getting accurate readings (and believe me, unreliable and accurate are two words that do not like each other), and surprisingly, many are unaware that the speed of the connection is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, meaning that if you can download at 4Mbit/s but the uploader can only upload at 300Kbit/s you wont get above this in download speed.

Also, you may be referring to your download/upload speed in KBytes. There are eight Bytes to the bit (you are paying for 4000Kbit, or 4Mbit NOT 4MByte) Where ever you see a CAPITAL B, it's a Byte.

sonny123
12-07-2007, 21:16
Thanks. I don't see the word root anywhere.

all i get is this:

Downstream Value
Frequency 331000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 37 dB
QAM 256
Network Access Control Object ON
Power Level -3 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream Value
Channel ID 4
Frequency 22200000 Hz Ranged
Ranging Service ID 258
Symbol Rate 2.560 Msym/s
Power Level 49 dBmV

???

It turns out quite a few people i have just talked to ar getting BIG speed improvements using the proxy servers.

---------- Post added at 21:16 ---------- Previous post was at 21:14 ----------

First of all, speedtest sites are notoriously unreliable, and surprisingly, many are unaware that the speed of the connection is only as fast as the slowest link in the chain, meaning that if you can download at 4Mbit/s but the uploader can only upload at 300Kbit/s you wont get above this in download speed.

Also, you may be referring to your download/upload speed in KBytes. There are eight Bytes to the bit (you are paying for 4000Kbit, or 4Mbit NOT 4MByte) Where ever you see a CAPITAL B, it's a Byte.

ok, thanks.

My question is, should my u/l speed be maxed at 35-38 kbps if i'm on a 4MB line?

If yes, fine. If no, are there any ways i can increase it without resoirting to proxies?

cheers

Sirpingalot
12-07-2007, 21:23
Quite simply, no. If it were 35KByte, then that would be ok, but in bits, no. I'm not quite sure what you can do to increase upload speed, sorry. However, your upstream power level is a little high.