PDA

View Full Version : Set-up on the wrong speed: resolution?

mrbarlow
12-07-2007, 08:53
I recently signed up for VM and (amongst other things) for XL broadband. I had the installation on Tuesday afternoon and was not blown away by the speeds I was getting.

Then last night, rather than rely purely on third party speed test sites, I decided to try downloading some large files. On several tests from different servers I never managed more than 240kb/s so decided to use the online cable speed check. It confirmed that I was on the "M" package.

I called customer services and the guy couldn't understand this as he said that according to the information he had, I was definitely on XL. He suggested I call the infamous Broadband support unit (the 25p per min one) but would credit my account with £5 to cover this.

I tried to ring them but there was no answer; I could find no info to their opening hours. So I decided to use the online upgrade facility which confirmed my upgrade to the XL package.

However the modem did not reboot as I expected. I left it for a while then powered it on/off but the speed remained the same. I checked again this morning and the speeds appear the same :|

Given that the online checker now tells me I am on XL but my speeds suggest otherwise, am I going to be banging my head against a wall with this?

If anyone has any experience/tips of a scenario like this, I'd be very grateful to hear from them.

TIA.

awibble
12-07-2007, 09:12
i would call the BB support line, they can probably fix it.

Richy99
12-07-2007, 10:33
what does your modem config say?

mrbarlow
12-07-2007, 11:08
what does your modem config say?

How would I find that out?

After I performed the online "upgrade" the status did show as being "XL" but the speeds were unchanged :(

Wicked_and_Crazy
12-07-2007, 11:52
Send your web browser to http://192.168.100.1/ (http://192.168.100.1/). When challenged, enter userid root and password root.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 ----------

Then look at the upstream and downstream numbers

mrbarlow
12-07-2007, 12:09
@Wicked_and_Crazy: many thanks for that, friend. Will do that when I get home.