PDA

View Full Version : Awesomely bad!

Mustard
11-07-2007, 22:52
Can anyone explain to me why software updates / downloads from Apple.com are coming down at 70KB/s yet usenet downloads come down at 2.4MB/s?

It's so frustrating to see such a pitiful speed from a major company who have fast servers. The funny thing is I have only experienced these speeds after the 20meg upgrade. :confused:

When I was on 10meg I was getting a steady 1.2MB/s from them...

Chris Edwards
11-07-2007, 23:54
What time(s) of day are you trying this at ? Have you tried it in the morning ?

For a couple of weeks I've been getting dreadful performance between 4pm and midnight. But it's absolutely fine at other times. All sites are affected, not just Apple. It's clearly a VM issue.

Interestingly, the times seem to coincide with the times that traffic shaping is meant to apply. However:

(1) I'm not downloading enough to hit the (published) shaping thresholds

and:

(2) The performance is far worse than the (published) shaped speeds.

PS - as for usenet, what news server are you using ? If the VM server, then it looks like the slowness only affects services outwith the VM network.

Alto
12-07-2007, 06:22
Over the last few days, I too appear to be getting a pattern of awful HTTP and FTP speeds in the evening, but NTTP downloads (from usenetserver.com) seem to be OK or excellent.

At 0620 my speeds are as follows:

HTTP 15000 KB/s
NTTP 24000 KB/s

Yesterday evening my speeds were

HTTP 300 KB/s
NTTP 10000 KB/s

Mustard
12-07-2007, 10:28
I made the post yesterday as I was downloading software updates from apple must have been around 10:30pm.

Just tried again and am receiving 2MB/s from Apple :mad:

The thing is yesterday I was at work from 1 till 10 and hadn't downloaded anything in the morning so I shouldn't be in shaping territory.

I think it's an absolute joke to be getting these kind of speeds for 100meg of software updates when the connection had been mostly unused all day!

---------- Post added at 10:28 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Oh, and I use Giganews for my usenet access.

Richy99
12-07-2007, 10:30
dont forget if you were downloading from giganews and hit 3Gig then you will be shaped, if you are downloading at 2.2MB then you will likely hit that in under 25 minutes

Mustard
12-07-2007, 10:50
dont forget if you were downloading from giganews and hit 3Gig then you will be shaped, if you are downloading at 2.2MB then you will likely hit that in under 25 minutes

Yeah I know, yesterday though I hadn't done any downloading at all...

And if I was being shaped, 70KB/s isn't the 600KB/s I normally get throttled to.

Richy99
12-07-2007, 10:53
dont forget its going via http and might be going via bad proxy (even tho they are phasing them out) or it could have been a problem with the apple servers, the route you were taking, numberous factors can be involved

Uncle Peter
12-07-2007, 11:04
Do a netstat -a and work out the ip address of the server you're downloading from then hit it with a traceroute. I noticed that browsing many sites was extremely slow last night too (I'm on Baguley) and it seemed to be some traffic out of Redbus causing problems.