PDA

View Full Version : 2 Meg Broadband down to 200 KB/s!!

progers
11-07-2007, 19:59
Located in Nuneaton; speeds have been down as low as 220 KB/s (tonight) This has been happening this week as fas as I have noticed.

Anyone else seeing speeds so low?

Peter :mad:

UncleBooBoo
11-07-2007, 20:14
Yea I just got off the phone to retensions.

I am on their 4MB package and I get 512K speeds, Cable BB is much worse than ADSL if you ask me! It's a real shame and I don't want to start an anti-VM thread but I am getting rid!

I have to wait for them to return my call tomorrow as their systems were down tonight, and before people say I am only after a better deal NO I am not!! (I will be canceling under their 30 day money back deal)

hatrick
11-07-2007, 20:31
Same here for over 4 weeks.

I am in Luton with 4MB BB but lucky to get over 256k.......................

Am well annoyed......

dcclanuk
11-07-2007, 20:39
Same here for over 4 weeks.

I am in Luton with 4MB BB but lucky to get over 256k.......................

Am well annoyed......

For the past week or so, I am lucky to even have a working connection!

I found out, its not just me. Its an area fault for sure! Many people in my area getting disconnected randomly, and then not being able to connect back!

Derrickpetr
11-07-2007, 20:52
Me to - for around the last 3-4 weeks speedtest.net http://speedtest.net/ shows 326 kb/s on a 4 meg modem

Customer Services tell me I must phone 09062121111 @ 25p/min plus 10p to connect....I don't think so ...It's cheaper to call retentions and cancel....So much for VM....Vote with you feet

banjo
11-07-2007, 21:03
4 meg, good eh ?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/64.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Agent47
11-07-2007, 21:05
VM dont give a **** about their customers as long as we pay £37 a month for crap 20mb's broadband they will be happy.

They will not do anything to improve things cause it will mean spending money, when they would rather take ours.

zachysat
11-07-2007, 21:05
246 kb here on a 4 meg

zachysat

Derrickpetr
11-07-2007, 21:09
Me to - for around the last 3-4 weeks speedtest.net http://speedtest.net/ shows 326 kb/s on a 4 meg modem

Customer Services tell me I must phone 09062121111 @ 25p/min plus 10p to connect....I don't think so ...It's cheaper to call retentions and cancel....So much for VM....Vote with you feet

Tryed to phone 09062121111 line goes dead!!!!!!

Agent47
11-07-2007, 21:12
Tryed to phone 09062121111 line goes dead!!!!!!

those pesky Indians have forgot to crank the power generator.

zachysat
11-07-2007, 21:17
try to test your conection on this link

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/r.monks/speedtest/

zachysat

UncleBooBoo
11-07-2007, 21:23
Well I am lucky, I have the 30 day money back guarantee...

Feel sorry for those stuck on a contract!

And I noticed you get full speed when using the speed tester from inside VM's network! Yet I can't use youtube or play online games such as warrock etc....

Seems that only trafic outside their network is being restricted!

Either way I am leaving, glad I did not cancel my BT, Sky account now as I wanted to see how VM went before I did that!

I only get 2MB out of a maximum 8MB with sky but at least I get that 24/7! Shame I was looking forward to being a long term cable customer!

---------- Post added at 21:23 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

zachysat

Host that on a server outside of VM's network and you will get totally different results!

Derrickpetr
11-07-2007, 21:31

zachysat

Comes back as 893 k/sec 7mbit

What does the 7mbit mean I'm on 4 meg B/B

Also more speedtest.net comes back as

4.5 Mb/sec Olso server
4.2 Mb/sec Dublin
1.8 Mb/sec Turin
1.5 Mb/sec New York
1.7 Mb/sec LA

But only 212Kb/sec Maidenhead
and 315Kb/sec London

??????? Confused

zachysat
11-07-2007, 22:07
Comes back as 893 k/sec 7mbit

What does the 7mbit mean I'm on 4 meg B/B

Also more speedtest.net comes back as

4.5 Mb/sec Olso server
4.2 Mb/sec Dublin
1.8 Mb/sec Turin
1.5 Mb/sec New York
1.7 Mb/sec LA

But only 212Kb/sec Maidenhead
and 315Kb/sec London

??????? Confused

yeap that is confusing my friend and to add more confusion when i download from rapidshare i get 480kb download :confused::confused: any idea:D

zachysat

bywater
11-07-2007, 22:53
4 meg, good eh ?

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/64.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I wouldn't personally rely on the results from that site too much. I have always had poor results from that site. I just used it half a hour ago and got 245 Kb/ down. Donethe same test on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and got nearly my 4Mb. 3.8Mb and that is through my router. I can hapilly live with that. Funny thing about the results from speedtest.net is that the upload results are always above what I'm actually supposed to be getting.
;)

hokkers999
12-07-2007, 00:58
VM dont give a **** about their customers as long as we pay £37 a month for crap 20mb's broadband they will be happy.

They will not do anything to improve things cause it will mean spending money, when they would rather take ours.

So do what I did and downgrade to 2meg, save yourself £19 a month...

GPR
12-07-2007, 07:36
Yep I have just downgraded to 2meg, from 20meg saved £19.

Why why pay for something you will never get, thats £19 in MY pocket.

themelon
12-07-2007, 07:52
Britain is so **** poor for Broadband its untrue. My ADSL Connection drops off every 20 minutes (BT and Elclipse say this is OK). Cable is getting slower and slower due to Virgins lack of investment.

We might as well go back to dial up.

Look at the Speedtest website even Bulgaria has miles faster Broadband than our pathetic 3rd World Slum. I bet they only pay about £5 a month too!

A lot of the faster countries have publically funded networks as opposed to broken up privatised (with many small companies who have no idea what they are doing) and broken skint networks that we have in this country.

Bengie
12-07-2007, 08:36
Ooww - I dream of getting 200k from my 10megs.

banjo
12-07-2007, 08:54
I wouldn't personally rely on the results from that site too much. I have always had poor results from that site. I just used it half a hour ago and got 245 Kb/ down. Donethe same test on http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest and got nearly my 4Mb. 3.8Mb and that is through my router. I can hapilly live with that. Funny thing about the results from speedtest.net is that the upload results are always above what I'm actually supposed to be getting.
;)

bywater thanks for the reply :) but the only reason that I used and posted the speed test is that pages are taking an age to load and sometimes pictures load line by line ala dial up :(

Bengie
12-07-2007, 09:21
Before you condemn VM outright banjo, make sure everything is ok at your end.
Do full system scans for viruses but especially spyware and adware, use 'ccleaner' or better still 'Cyberscrub' (free 15 day trial and worth the download), to clean out all the junk that can slow you down and do a defrag. Reboot your modem and see if that makes a difference

banjo
12-07-2007, 10:40
Before you condemn VM outright banjo, make sure everything is ok at your end.
Do full system scans for viruses but especially spyware and adware, use 'ccleaner' or better still 'Cyberscrub' (free 15 day trial and worth the download), to clean out all the junk that can slow you down and do a defrag. Reboot your modem and see if that makes a difference

Thank you for that :) but I have been having problems for many moons, I have done all that you have said and more, NTL even changed my modem for a 250.

In my opinion the system is overloaded under funded and heading for a major crash, thank you for your interest and advice :tu:

fishdude
12-07-2007, 22:03
well i just did the virgin speed test and i got....

... 142 K/sec, 1.1 MBit

Not bad eh?

im on the 10meg

:)

NTLVictim
12-07-2007, 22:27
Just to really give you the hump, there is :
"Sigbritt, 75, has world's fastest broadband

Published: 12th July 2007 11:07 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/
A 75 year old woman from Karlstad (http://www.thelocal.se/search.php?keywordSearch=Karlstad) in central Sweden has been thrust into the IT history books - with the world's fastest internet connection.

Sigbritt Löthberg's home has been supplied with a blistering 40 Gigabits per second connection, many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user has experienced such a high speed.

But Sigbritt, who had never had a computer until now, is no ordinary 75 year old. She is the mother of Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg who, along with Karlstad Stadsnät, the local council's network arm, has arranged the connection.

"This is more than just a demonstration," said network boss Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"As a network owner we're trying to persuade internet operators to invest in faster connections. And Peter Löthberg wanted to show how you can build a low price, high capacity line over long distances," he told The Local.

Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.

The secret behind Sigbritt's ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg, who now works at Cisco.

Cisco contributed to the project but the point, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, is that fibre technology makes such high speed connections technically and commercially viable.

"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson."

...A DVD in TWO FRIGGIN' SECONDS??? I feel faint..

Data
12-07-2007, 22:45
Presumably, since so many are adament VM is crap/has no future/is still in the dark ages, that none will even consider coming back, or moving up to top tier again when the thing is all fixed, right?
Or am I reading this wrong?

Bonglet
13-07-2007, 01:41
what is the point even when its fixed really of staying on the top tier your still going to get traffic shaped, your still going to more than likely have latency issues if your area is over subscribed, the tech support is still going to be a premium number and to top it off the upload ratio still stinks buckets.

why pay premium price for service and support now when a lot do it cheaper and have no hidden charges or limits :( shame it came to this tbh.

Druchii
13-07-2007, 02:34
Just to really give you the hump, there is :
"Sigbritt, 75, has world's fastest broadband

Published: 12th July 2007 11:07 CET
Online: http://www.thelocal.se/7869/
A 75 year old woman from Karlstad (http://www.thelocal.se/search.php?keywordSearch=Karlstad) in central Sweden has been thrust into the IT history books - with the world's fastest internet connection.

Sigbritt Löthberg's home has been supplied with a blistering 40 Gigabits per second connection, many thousands of times faster than the average residential link and the first time ever that a home user has experienced such a high speed.

But Sigbritt, who had never had a computer until now, is no ordinary 75 year old. She is the mother of Swedish internet legend Peter Löthberg who, along with Karlstad Stadsnät, the local council's network arm, has arranged the connection.

"This is more than just a demonstration," said network boss Hafsteinn Jonsson.

"As a network owner we're trying to persuade internet operators to invest in faster connections. And Peter Löthberg wanted to show how you can build a low price, high capacity line over long distances," he told The Local.

Sigbritt will now be able to enjoy 1,500 high definition HDTV channels simultaneously. Or, if there is nothing worth watching there, she will be able to download a full high definition DVD in just two seconds.

The secret behind Sigbritt's ultra-fast connection is a new modulation technique which allows data to be transferred directly between two routers up to 2,000 kilometres apart, with no intermediary transponders.

According to Karlstad Stadsnät the distance is, in theory, unlimited - there is no data loss as long as the fibre is in place.

"I want to show that there are other methods than the old fashioned ways such as copper wires and radio, which lack the possibilities that fibre has," said Peter Löthberg, who now works at Cisco.

Cisco contributed to the project but the point, said Hafsteinn Jonsson, is that fibre technology makes such high speed connections technically and commercially viable.

"The most difficult part of the whole project was installing Windows on Sigbritt's PC," said Jonsson."

...A DVD in TWO FRIGGIN' SECONDS??? I feel faint..
Could the hard drive, NIC or even the RAM or CPU keep up in this case though?

Data
13-07-2007, 04:58
Maybe if you had a zeon cluster or two they might. :D
what is the point even when its fixed really of staying on the top tier your still going to get traffic shaped, your still going to more than likely have latency issues if your area is over subscribed, the tech support is still going to be a premium number and to top it off the upload ratio still stinks buckets.

why pay premium price for service and support now when a lot do it cheaper and have no hidden charges or limits :( shame it came to this tbh.
Upload ratio was allways crap. that's at least one constant.

Is the bandwidth reduction permanent? whatever you think, other providers bandwidth shape, that's what it is. In VM's case, it seems to have gone haywire, since it isn't supposed to affect interactive content. That should get top priority, AFAIK. They are trying to make the best of it.

All the tiers are slower, we're all miffed, but the top tier guys are paying the most so it is right they should get up to some sort of speed first. Once they get right, the rest of us should follow suit.

If you didn't have low latency before the problems, there's no evidence to suggest you will after.

There are some cheap offers going around, but I will never move to ADSL. Despite the best efforts of the utilities who are now pushing it.

Cable is the future of many things. Not least the internet. Phone lines won't be able to hack it. Well, maybe with a "two lines for the price of one" offer and use them tandem, like you can on dial up.
Maybe we'll see a utility like setup where others can "rent" the fibre, like they do now with pipes and cables.

I'm no VM fanboy, but I joined this board when I last had a problem of note. Since then it's been problem free despite years of daily internet surfing for many hours at a time. That's an exceptional performance in my book.
Because of that, and what I hope will happen, I'll stay put for now.

Druchii
13-07-2007, 05:16
Maybe if you had a zeon cluster or two they might. :D
Maybe if it's based on Clovertown... And even then we'd be pushing it as the RAM would surely not be able to keep up.

Still, such a very impressive service that they gave the woman. I bet she gets her email lightening fast now.

xspeedyx
13-07-2007, 11:22
I must admit the service does seem to be decreasing quickly since the good ol days of telewest rock solid service

Bonglet
13-07-2007, 11:34
Upload ratio was allways crap. that's at least one constant.

Is the bandwidth reduction permanent? whatever you think, other providers bandwidth shape, that's what it is. In VM's case, it seems to have gone haywire, since it isn't supposed to affect interactive content. That should get top priority, AFAIK. They are trying to make the best of it.

All the tiers are slower, we're all miffed, but the top tier guys are paying the most so it is right they should get up to some sort of speed first. Once they get right, the rest of us should follow suit.

If you didn't have low latency before the problems, there's no evidence to suggest you will after.

There are some cheap offers going around, but I will never move to ADSL. Despite the best efforts of the utilities who are now pushing it.

Cable is the future of many things. Not least the internet. Phone lines won't be able to hack it. Well, maybe with a "two lines for the price of one" offer and use them tandem, like you can on dial up.
Maybe we'll see a utility like setup where others can "rent" the fibre, like they do now with pipes and cables.

I'm no VM fanboy, but I joined this board when I last had a problem of note. Since then it's been problem free despite years of daily internet surfing for many hours at a time. That's an exceptional performance in my book.
Because of that, and what I hope will happen, I'll stay put for now.

Glad you can stand it data i've been on virgin media's case since more or less the rebranding when i noticed a sub par performance hit on my 10mb connection with latency issues arriving and my 10mb service getting flaky and suffering more and more dropouts.

your idea about traffic shaping is flawed as you must not have read there policy fully yet heres a couple of quotes from it "Will my download speed be affected?
Your speed won't be moderated unless you're in the top 5% of downloaders."
thats wrong i have been shaped every day witout downloading jack every day even while still on 10mb and since 20mb its laughable.
"Will the thresholds change?
The way that our customers use their broadband is changing all the time, so it's possible that in the future we may increase or decrease the thresholds – don't worry though, we'll always let you know on our website if we're going to make any changes, and we don't expect the thresholds to change very often.
note the last section there we don't expect the thresholds to change very often which more or less means it might change yearly if we feel generous, for a company to double your speed and then not raise these limits is diabolical and what is the point in downloading faster do they want people to get shaped faster by hitting the limit faster.

Cable WAS the future untill someone decided to rebrand, spend tons and tons of cash on advertising, next to no cash on network infastructure
and maintainance, think up potty ideas like traffic shaping and premium rate support.
dont get me wrong i loved telewest and all they stood for after being a customer for 6 years sure upgrade rollouts were troublesome for upto a week after they did them 512 to 1mb to 2mb e.t.c but all worked fine and as they should, now though everything just seems 1 big joke.
glad your happy with your service btw i remember when i was not long ago, now though its a joke £37 and £5 admin charge £43 a month for this then all my calls to india robot script, is this low cost high performance broadband now no its not and with adsl2 rolling out now and guess what you get more bandwith at peak times shock.

Expect virgin media to up the shaping limit to about 5 or 6gb soon to keep a few people happy for the short term before the rollout of 50mb broadband next year that most people will never actually use the full speed but expect the upload speed to be around about 1.5 meg then lol.
Note to virgin media - all these flaky gimmicky adds are rubbish all the user ever wanted was a solid connection say 10mb dl 2-4mb upload, no form of shaping and no charge for support.

vmuser027
13-07-2007, 13:24
Try this speed test:
http://www.tenmeg.myby.co.uk/

Always fine for me! Speedtest.net is currently showing me as 2meg when this site shows me at 7!

My connection seems a bit dodgey at the moment though, (Nowhere near as bad as anyones here though!) its only at 7meg.

vmuser

devil
13-07-2007, 14:48
those pesky Indians have forgot to crank the power generator.

I beg your pardon Agent 47, i didn't know this is a racist forum as well.

NTLVictim
13-07-2007, 14:55
I beg your pardon Agent 47, i didn't know this is a racist forum as well.

What racism? they are Indian, are they not?

vmuser027
13-07-2007, 15:48
Yep, that site is working fine now. Anyone with speed troubles should try that site!

10meg connection:

NTLVictim
13-07-2007, 16:49
Midday, 5023, just now 1073.

Shaping only works if you manage it correctly, and it is clear the bottom wipes aren't.

I don't use newsgroups or suck files, etc.

Derrickpetr
13-07-2007, 20:11
Try this speed test:

Always fine for me! Speedtest.net is currently showing me as 2meg when this site shows me at 7!

My connection seems a bit dodgey at the moment though, (Nowhere near as bad as anyones here though!) its only at 7meg.

vmuser

This site tells me download of 7694.4 kbps my most likely B/B is 10meg

I'm on 4meg according to my bill???

Speedtest shows me at 431 kbps

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/60.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

Callumpy
13-07-2007, 21:22
Its slow at my house, im on the 8mbps package and om only gettin 0.568mbps

hatrick
16-07-2007, 16:54
well still painfully slow here....

Never been a problem in the 7 odd years I have been with them......

Think a phone call to customer services is in order.

Retrovertigo
16-07-2007, 17:00
Try this speed test:

vmuser

Shows me as being 6meg. Amazing, 6meg on a 20meg line. Well done everyone at VM.

Druchii
16-07-2007, 17:12
Shows me as being 6meg. Amazing, 6meg on a 20meg line. Well done everyone at VM.
Shows me at 15Mb, which is amazing for me at this time of day :)

smashie
17-07-2007, 14:45
amazingly slow here in great yarmouth today, newsleecher with ten pipes open only just hitting 2mb on a 4mb line.. total shambles imho

Maxyy
13-06-2008, 20:06
correct me if im wrong... but isnt what your paying for 2 megabitts not megabytes? A megabit (or however you spell it) is 100KB per second... so your getting what your paying for...? if im wrong ... then iv been fooled out of good broadband for years too....

--> a campaign against virgin's theiving broadband phone line (http://www.09062121111.com/ - )

Max =]

Bengie
13-06-2008, 20:30
correct me if im wrong... but isnt what your paying for 2 megabitts not megabytes? A megabit (or however you spell it) is 100KB per second... so your getting what your paying for...? if im wrong ... then iv been fooled out of good broadband for years too....

--> a campaign against virgin's theiving broadband phone line (http://www.09062121111.com/ - )

Max =]

I think that is why most say either 'meg' or 'mb' then they can't get it wrong or anyone be confused.

whydoIneedatech
13-06-2008, 22:57

Max =]

Why have you Bumped an 11 month old thread when you could have used a more recent one for the same post?

Also you can remove your campaign for Virgin to stop their thieving phoneline as its been free since the 1st of June 2008 on a Virgin phoneline on 151.

Maxyy
13-06-2008, 23:14
Why have you Bumped an 11 month old thread when you could have used a more recent one for the same post?

Also you can remove your campaign for Virgin to stop their thieving phoneline as its been free since the 1st of June 2008 on a Virgin phoneline on 151.

chill out mate... i forgot to read the date when the thread was started... so shoot me...

my mistake for trying to help -.-

whydoIneedatech
13-06-2008, 23:26
chill out mate... i forgot to read the date when the thread was started... so shoot me...

my mistake for trying to help -.-

I was just letting you know that the are up to date threads on this same subject that are not to dissimilar to that one:)

At least the calls are free now as well to complain about it.:tu:

Nicosia
15-06-2008, 13:26
isent 220kb normal speed for 2megs? well 240?

whydoIneedatech
15-06-2008, 14:12

2048 is the download speed

AbyssUnderground
15-06-2008, 14:14

KB/s or kb/s? Two different values.

2Mbps is 240KB/s (roughly)
2Mbps is 2048kb/s (roughly)

bigalt
17-06-2008, 19:28
I must be one of the lucky ones. I consistently get 1.09Mbps to 2.01Mbs on my 2Mb service.