PDA

View Full Version : Dump Virgin Media for what?

JPAC
11-07-2007, 15:28
Anybody left VM for pastures new? Which ISP one did you go for and is it better? What with traffic shaping, disappearing proxies, extortionate customer service calls and uncompetitive prices, I'm thinking of going elsewhere.

Stuart
11-07-2007, 17:10
I ditched VM broadband for Be. Not because of the shaping or anything (I got rid of them because their BB was more expensive than Be's.

Still with 'em for DTV though, as I have never had any real problems with that..

mcfc2134
11-07-2007, 17:33
I'm looking at BE internet at the minute. We'd give up our VM telephone line aswell so VM will be losing the whole package from us.

Toto
11-07-2007, 18:24
Remember that BE Internet will only be as good as your line quality and distance from the exchange. do some research for your area, see if anyone else uses BE, get their reaction.

Stuart
11-07-2007, 19:00
Remember that BE Internet will only be as good as your line quality and distance from the exchange. do some research for your area, see if anyone else uses BE, get their reaction.

In fairness, that is true of all ADSL ISPs.

bonzoe
11-07-2007, 19:11
In fairness, that is true of all ADSL ISPs.

That's why I'm staying with VM!

Stuart
11-07-2007, 19:22
And the line quality issue affects cable as well.

TraxData
11-07-2007, 19:25
Another vote for Be here, excellent ISP, wish i never left them to go to VM. luckily im back with Be very soon, so im a happy fella.

Look on the bright side, no matter how far your away from the exchange, if they can supply you net, they will, without any traffic shaping :)

JPAC
12-07-2007, 09:07
Interesting replies, thanks. The alternative broadband suppliers here are very limited, to just BT. :( Maybe in the meantime I should downgrade my payment to VM's lowest band like they have downgraded their service, and perhaps soon that'll be a premium rate number just to change your tariff band. Any good rumours about lower VM prices? £25 for 4Mb (2Mb after 4pm) doesn't seem so good these days. VM must be making a fortune now, not paying anything to Sky, restricting data rates, less staff and using overseas call centres.

Stuart
12-07-2007, 09:16
Have a look at http://www.samknows.com , you can check either your postcode or phone number and it'll tell you which ISPs offer an "unbundled" service in your area.

JPAC
12-07-2007, 10:03
Thanks Stuart but... AOL is not yet available in your area Be Unlimited is not yet available in your area Bulldog is not yet available in your area TalkTalk (CPW) has not yet unbundled your exchange Sky Broadband / Easynet is not yet available in your area Edge Telecom is not yet Homechoice is not yet available in your area Lumison is not yet available in your area Node4 is not yet available in your area Pipex is not yet available in your area Tiscali is not yet available in your area Orange is not yet available in your area WB Internet is not yet available in your area Zen is not yet available in your area BTW Why doesn't the return key start a new line?

danjw
12-07-2007, 11:02
yes i agree with whoever said Be broadband
app they have great cust services and the intenet packages offered are better than virgin