PDA

View Full Version : Finally did it!!! I downgraded to M package!

badboybubby
10-07-2007, 20:10
Been on the top package since day one. After some though I finally worked out that its actually pointless paying for the 37 quid XL package now traffic shaping is here.

If I want to download something I set it off in the morning whilst I am at work and when I come home its downloaded.

I was gaining nothing being on the XL package so Virgin just lost 20 pound per month off me because of their silly policy.

arcamalpha2004
10-07-2007, 20:19
This policy looks to be backfiring on them at the moment judging by peoples comments regarding downgrading their services.
You are spot on, why pay for something you cannot fully utilise, and by fully utilise I mean any time of the day, there will be people who will suggest doing downloading overnight, but why should people have no other option when they are paying top dollar?

Roxyfella
10-07-2007, 20:21
I downgraded my Broadband to 2meg over a month ago saving about £20 a month. i've not noticed any difference apart from more money in my pocket.

zachysat
10-07-2007, 20:23
that is a good idea i might downgrade my self or even cancel since i am payinf £25 a month and all i can use is 750 kb in the evening when it should be 4 meg and even with traffic shaping at least 2 meg i really start thuinking moving to onather ISP since i don`t get what i pay for:mad:

zachysat

UncleBooBoo
10-07-2007, 20:24
I have to agree with OP, although I don't really download anything I see little point paying top dollar for their BB. Infact I would even say it is now no longer any better than ADSL!

The average person works mon-sat so they actually only get their full speed on the sunday, they use it in the weekday evenings or a saturday evening your ownly going to get a couple of meg if your lucky!

I get 512k (ish) on the 4MB teir and I got the same on the 2MB teir. Only reason why I pay extra for the 4MB is because I need the extra upload for voip calls!

zachysat
10-07-2007, 20:41
i think all this is so sad use to be one of the best ISP been with NTL for almost 10 years and now i am force to look somewhere else becouse they don`t know how to look after they costumer
in the last 2 days i must have spent at least £15 on tech support only to hear to go in safe mode to check speed (i have spent 15 years as a IT consultant) ask them to check the setting on the server for my account and they don1t have admin rigts to do so such basic support for £15 and no solution

zachysat

Nhyrvus
10-07-2007, 21:51
15 yrs as an IT consultant, and thats the grammar/spelling/punctuation that you use?. . ..
Man, i think me and my bad self may be in the wrong line of occupation. :D

mcfc2134
10-07-2007, 22:06
I've tried 3 times to downgrade my package and it still hasnt been put onto the level I requested.

Really starting to do my nut in now. I too am fed of up of paying full whack for a service which gets no where near its stated speed. Back down to M for me - if they ever bleedin do it! Grrrrrr....

Data
10-07-2007, 22:17
15 yrs as an IT consultant, and thats the grammar/spelling/punctuation that you use?. . ..

Considering zachysat's personal circumstances are not known, that comment is in extremely bad taste.

UncleBooBoo
10-07-2007, 22:55
Considering zachysat's personal circumstances are not known, that comment is in extremely bad taste.

I totally agree!

rogerdraig
11-07-2007, 00:58

agreed

Rains
11-07-2007, 11:02
To be honest when i get mine upgrade this month if i start getting very poor speeds they can kiss my **** for £37 a month which is the most i have ever payed for bb and not seen anythink higher i will probably leave which is a shame i was loving the 10mb service they will lose lots of custumers

smarty
11-07-2007, 11:03
i think all this is so sad use to be one of the best ISP been with NTL for almost 10 years and now i am force to look somewhere else becouse they don`t know how to look after they costumer
in the last 2 days i must have spent at least £15 on tech support only to hear to go in safe mode to check speed (i have spent 15 years as a IT consultant) ask them to check the setting on the server for my account and they don1t have admin rigts to do so such basic support for £15 and no solution

zachysat

Eh??
The punctuation or caps. keys on your computer do not appear to be working.

UncleBooBoo
11-07-2007, 12:31
Eh??
The punctuation or caps. keys on your computer do not appear to be working.

And it would seem you cannot read or you only read half a thread! :dunce:

For all you know he is dyslexic or he may have a faulty keyboard! (No offence intended)

tweetypie/8
11-07-2007, 13:43

have to agree,uncalled for :td:

djgazzabhoy
11-07-2007, 16:21
do you max out now mate on the M package? constantly?

Fenlock
11-07-2007, 17:23
Just instead of starting another "virgin sucks, it's slow - im leaveing thread" i thought id hijack this one.

Ive been with NTL for years, back when 512k was being advertised as new and revolutionary broadband Internet. Ive always been on the fastest tier service that was available. Up until Virgin took over, i was happy with cable. I knew it couldn't be beaten for both speed and reliability.

Im am SICK of the slow speeds since virgin took over. Utterly, 100%, SICK to the back teeth of it. Streaming video sites don't work. Gamespot, youtube, apple quicktime trailers, shoutcast.. all broken because the bandwidth and network is so poor. Normally get about 20 seconds worth of buffered content before it has to stop and catch up... on a 20MB service?!?! 712K streams?!

Free Download Manager, 20 threads.. roughly 20kbps on each thread for a download on the XL service (20MB). Since 20MB came on, it's been slower than 10.

Gaming, pings of 250-300. 300?!!? i had better than that on a 56k dial up 8 years ago!!!!!!!!!

Ive not canceled Virgin yet, but i have ordered Zen ADSL. I know the grass isn't always greener, work in IT and have dealt with lots of ADSL installs. But I'm now at a point where i need to see if the quality of service with a different respected provider is much better than what i currently have. I just want things to work.