PDA

View Full Version : 20mb Continually dropping off

cl77
10-07-2007, 16:44
Can you help?

I'm currently on a 20meg line running through the cable modem 120. My connection constantly drops off when running bit torrents with Azureus, I'm allways carefull not to swamp my connection so I limit my download to 250 k a sec, it still drops out every few hours or sometimes less! My modem is hard wired to my desktop running through a Belkin router which flashes (internet light) when the service drops off. This is probably a noddy enquiry but i'm sick to the teeth of it as I'm constantly having to monitor my connection. Any Thoughts

Cheers!

jimborae
10-07-2007, 16:58
Cant help but you're not alone. As soon as I hit around 600-800k on a download my Ambit 120 disconnects and reboots itself. It's been doing this for awhile now and Customer Services wont send me a self install modem or engineer visit. They say its the software I'm using (Utorrent) and that they don't support p2p applications. What a load of cobblers.

Rik
10-07-2007, 18:26
NTL 120 Modems are the problem, ring VM and DEMAND a replacement :)

Nicely of course :D

Some people are extremely lucky and get by with 120s but many many people have had problems with these.

chimaeradave
10-07-2007, 19:06

Some people are extremely lucky and get by with 120s but many many people have had problems with these.
Rik

I too have an NTL 120 and have already had one engineer visit (pre - upgrade to 20M) for intermittent drop outs. It got sorted but is now even worse post 20M upgrade. (In Cambridge BTW).

What's your advice in demanding nicely? What phrases will convince the support staff to get the modem upgraded?

I ask because organising a time for engineer visit is tricky so I'd like to maximise the chance of a permanent fix in one hit.

TIA

Dave

Wiggz
10-07-2007, 23:09

Rik, do you kow if the ntl:250 modem is hunky dory with 20mb. I've very very very rarely had top whack out of my line since the upgrade (and when I have it's dissappeared at the same time)

sstainer
11-07-2007, 02:13
sometimes the pc is not configured correctly for 20mb BB
maybe try a small program called tcp optimizer speedguide.net has it
at http://www.speedguide.net/files/TCPOptimizer.exe worth a go see if it makes any changes ?

BloodyL
11-07-2007, 05:35
You mention that you are using a Belkin router?

Some routers (notably Linksys models, although it is not exclusive to them) cannot deal with large amounts of (half)open connections and will drop out.
My router did the same until I adjusted the settings to compensate.

Try running a PC with p2p software without the router and with a software firewall., a *personal* suggestion for a free firewall would be Comodo Firewall (http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/)
Comodo deal with internet shopping security, it is in their interest to secure your online experience so you can purchase online, thus the companies are more willing to purchase security licenses from Comodo.

Yeah, eliminate the router from the equation and go from there.

cl77
11-07-2007, 13:11
Cheers for the input
I've disconnected my Belkin router and have noticed a increase in the download speed, but its still disconnecting every so often so i'm going to try for the new modem.

Mike007
12-07-2007, 16:04
I'm running a linksys router with its firewall turned on and have no other firewalls running on any of my pc's.

I've had the same problems with my 20mb connection and have searched various forums and sites to find out exactly what is causing it over the last few weeks.

Today i hit the jackpot and have cured my problem :)
I used this tweak to test my settings and followed the information on the bottom of the results page to adjust my settings.

http://dslreports.com/tweaks

It seems my problem laid with my RWIN window with it being set far under the recommendations.I've adjusted it accordingly and am now hitting an average of 20mb using this page...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/

I am an ntl user so you maybe better off finding a test source thats from your isp.

Running good spyware like spybot and adaware have also increased my surfing and downloading pleasure.

Hope this helps someone out as it did for me.

chimaeradave
23-07-2007, 19:35
What's your advice in demanding nicely?
Nicely equated to a can of diet tango :)

Shiny new Ambit 255 and great connection speeds.

D