PDA

View Full Version : Which modem next....

WillPS
10-07-2007, 14:15
When I signed up with NTL, way back in 2002, I was given an ntl:home100 modem, then a couple of years later this was swapped for an ntl:200 modem. I've now got an engineer coming round, and it looks like it's going to be changed again. Will I get another Ambit or will I get a Scientific Atlanta?

Seeing as Ambit modems are having all these problems at the moment I'd really hope to get an SA one, but does anybody know what they've been handing out recently?

Incomplete
10-07-2007, 14:23
Ambit 255.

The modems themselves are fine.

slowcoach
10-07-2007, 15:48
The engineer might as well change the water in the goldfish bowl for what good a modem change will do.
Dial-up speeds this morning and this afternoon I can get higher speeds from a Canadian server than I can from the VM server.
I reckon there is a Murdoch mole at work. :erm:

Ramrod
10-07-2007, 16:42
I got a 255 yesterday, I'm on 20meg and got an immediate speed improvement :tu:

slowcoach
10-07-2007, 22:10
I was on 2.33 MB/s yesterday even from servers in Brazil and Australia but today dial-up speeds everywhere ....... SOMEONE is putting a spanner in the works.

Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get you. (Freud).

BloodyL
11-07-2007, 05:19
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. (Freud)

---------- Post added at 05:19 ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 ----------

Back to the thread, I had a silver ambit 120 for a very long time (after I kept on killing pace STB's like ants in a magnifying glass when I used to hammer the upload, many moons ago.)
The power pack for the modem went beserk and ended up feeding something like 15v at 5a to the modem, over time the modem degraded and I'd see a dropoff of speed as the connection was being used.
I did a "quick fix" (oh boy, damn i hate that word, the boss at work is far too keen on that word) by dangling the modem over my PC exhaust fan to cool it.
Eventually I couldn't download for more than a minute without it dipping to dialup speeds.

One engineer visit later and I have a VM branded 255, I can see a very real difference.
The connection is nowhere near as stable as it before the power pack failure and the resultant switch to the 255, I don't know if that is the modem or whether I have been shuffled over to another server in the changeover, but I certainly don't have the rock solid connection I used to have, and this was before the 20mb debacle.

My point in short: doesn't matter what modem you have as far as I can see, just hope that the change will place you on a server that is well managed. (hehe!)

spankysmagicpian
11-07-2007, 09:13
I got a 255 yesterday, I'm on 20meg and got an immediate speed improvement :tu:

Upgrade from which one previously?