PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - broadband modem bouncing like a yoyo (long post)

PrideRavyn
10-07-2007, 13:54
We've been having ongoing problems with our broadband modem for a good while now, where numerous times a day it is bouncing - it disconnects for literally no more than a few seconds, and then comes back on. In itself this isn't really that much of an issue providing it does come back on, but it is happening more and more often these days and it's very annoying, especially as we are photographers so do very long uploads of photos to an ftp account which crash every time the mdoem decides to throw a hissy :rolleyes:

The problem first started occuring when NTL were around - and it was actually commented on by a (oh look, the modems bounced as i write this!) engineer when i called about an unrelated issue who said 'oh, your modem has been crashing a lot, we'll send an engineer out'.

Engineer duly came and said, in speak that I'm not sure I understand but I can repeat, that our line was running 'too high' and that was the problem. So he fiddled about with the modem settings and said that should solve it. he also mentioned something about the cause being the fact that we have a 20mb broadband line, what was at the time TV Drive (and is now Virgin +) and a normal digital set top box running off one single entry point, that this was too much for the line. He said if there were more problems then to insist that NTL come and put a second entry point in for the broadband.

The problem continued to occur, so I called back up and repeated what the NTL engineer had said. By this time, two weeks later, NTL was Virgin Media. The operator said that the line wasn't the problem, it was the modem and sent out an engineer with a new modem. New modem was dul installed, however it's made no difference at all.

It bounces at least 10 times a day - but the lights on the front of the modem don't seem to be affected, the upstream and downstream lights go off, but other than that, the ready and sync lights remain normal.

I have had a look at the root bit that everyone recommends you go and see and the upstream and downstream info is below. The event log is an interesting sight - it's full to the brim every day of 'Critical (3)' errors, not least to mention the almost 45,000 errors that state... 84000100 SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/Q...

otherwise there are DHCP warnings, and failures, and lots of 'not received response' to maintenance requests. There isn't an error in there for every time it bounces though, although I am unsure as to how up to date the log is?

Are these 'normal' problems that don't affect the modem connection?

Anyway, any advice as to what the actual cause is would be great - something that I can say to an operator that won't make them think I am completely clueless is great, or some magic word that will make them do something!!

Oh, and there goes the modem again - that's twice in 10 mins :D

Upstream:

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 6
Upstream Frequency : 28784000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 60.8 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Downstream:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -15.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.5 dB

Mick Fisher
10-07-2007, 19:38
Your upstream power level is much too high. It's a wonder you have a connection at all. I think your downstream is wrong too. I'm not an engineer but I recall it should be within -10 to +10.

You need an engineer to sort it out.

Good Luck.

piggy
10-07-2007, 19:47
if the tech who came out checked the levels annd gave you the max possible then the answer is to pull in another cable or to fit a line amp(not very succesfull in our area) either way you need another call the modem is flapping because its trying to run flat out.