PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Atlanta ethernet problem

RichieP
10-07-2007, 13:19
Hi all.

I hope someone can suggest something here.

I'm fairly computer savvy so I'll try most things.

I'm trying to help a friend go wireless. She was connected to the Scientific Atlantic modem via USB, internet working fine.

I connected a wireless router and set it all up via ethernet, but it couldn't get an internet connection.

When I connected the modem directly via ethernet, the same happened.

Basically, after lots of messing around and over an hour on the phone, Virgin Media agreed to replace the modem. The engineer tried 3 modems, all the sameHowever, she's still getting the same problem.

I tried a new network card and connecting to my laptop, but it's still the same.

If I go to command prompt and typeipconfig /all the lease obtained and lease expires times is only 30 seconds apart. It does briefly connect to the modem as I can quickly check the configuration pages, but it drops off again and goes to the 169.xxx.x.x ip address.

Now I could believe it was a problem with her PC if it was just that. But surely trying a new network card and connecting to my laptop wouldn't all be the same? I was able to browse around the cpnfiguration pages of the router for ages so the PC can maintain a network connection.

One final option is to try my modem, as I have exactly the same one here and I connectly. Do Virgin still ask you to register MAC addresses of devices, like Blueyonder used to?

Basically, until this is sorted, she's never going to be able to go wireless with Virgin :confused:

Any help much appreciated.

maverick
10-07-2007, 13:35
Remove the catv cable from the modem,reboot the modem refresh the connection on the pc and advise what ip you then get.

v0id
10-07-2007, 13:48
Reset the router, power down all equipment, connect all the cables (including your wireless adapter/card) power everything up

RichieP
10-07-2007, 16:55
Thanks for the replies.

V0id, I'm trying to sort the modem issue before moving onto the wireless router.

Maverick, tried that. A slight change. The ip lease time is still 30 seconds, but running ip config again and it immediately gets the ip address again, albeit for 3o seconds. Previously it would go back to the 169.... ip address and only get one assigned by the modem after it was rebooted.

Any more suggestions?

This was done over the phone by the way so I'm a bit limited for a couple of days.

Thanks.