PDA

View Full Version : Cables used for TV and Broadband

scottwhittaker
10-07-2007, 12:54
Hi
My BB and TV connection comes in at the front of the house and I have a Netgear RangeMax router to send BB upstairs etc. Problem is it keeps dropping out when trying to download anything. So ideally I want to move the BB upstairs and position the RangeMax with the PC (but probably just use Ethernet rather than Wireless Connection but keep wireless for use with the Laptop).

My first question is can I just use a splitter on the white cable downstairs and run it upstairs?

If Im going to all this trouble for the BB can I send the TV upstairs as well? Will it require a seperate splitter/wiring or can it be done on one white cable and split when its upstairs?

And will I experience any loss of quality?

I prob wont get an additional STB just yet but probably will do in the future.
I rang VM and they told me it would cost £75 for it to be moved! It was them that suggested this setup in the first place (funny cos now I think about it, it was the easiest one for them to do!) I reckon I can do it for sub £30.

Cheers
Scott

Paul K
10-07-2007, 13:04
Yep and if you don't do it right it will cost you £75 for them to come out and sort it out. IF you think you can do it without causing loss on the signal or putting noise back into the network then you can split it and run a length upstairs. Splitting the TV will not help unless you have a second VM box adn if you are going to do that then you may as well get it done properly.
Why not run a long length of ethernet from the source to upstairs and then plug your router into that?

scottwhittaker
10-07-2007, 13:32
Well ideally i would like the modem upstairs as well. The plasma is on a glass stand so round the back looks messy with the modem and router their and the missus isnt too happy about that.

My thoughts were to just split the BB connection send it back out of the house and around to the back under the gutter board then in the back wall.

IF you think you can do it without causing loss on the signal or putting noise back into the network then you can split it and run a length upstairs.

How would I cause signal loss or put noise into the network? What would cause that?

Cheers

JediMaster
10-07-2007, 13:53
You have 2x "White Wires" going into your Room right? 1 is TV & other is Broadband.... The B/Band one has a Special End to it that is Screwed into Modem (it is on mine). How do you plan on adding these Crimped Ends onto Wire?

You could try a Wire like this off eBay (5m Extention) (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5M-BROADBAND-MODEM-SKY-DIGITAL-EXTENSION-NTL-CABLE-BOX_W0QQitemZ230146409767QQihZ013QQcategoryZ67857Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I paid NTL £25 to move my TV & B/Band about 2yrs back & was worth it. £75 is a bit too much :disturbd:

scottwhittaker
10-07-2007, 14:05
Ye I was looking to buy one off ebay ready made. There a few about. I figure I need a 30m length to go up round and down the house neatly with some spare.

If they had said £25 I would have had them do it but £75 is a bit steep.