PDA

View Full Version : Double Glazing query

Angua
10-07-2007, 09:53
One of the sealed glazing units on our double glazing has become unsealed (condensation between the two layers of glass).

Question is would a glazier be able to replace the unit or would we need to get a whole new window? The glazing sandwich seems to be narrower on the faulty glass than the ones for the new dopors we recently had fitted.

TIA Download Failed (1)

bopdude
10-07-2007, 09:57
AFAIK you can buy replacement panels ( double glazed ) to order. Ring around a couple of local companies :tu:

HTH

Xaccers
10-07-2007, 10:08
Dead easy to replace the unit yourself.
There should be removable sections that make up the window frame on the inside of the window (if the removable sections are on the outside, it's time to contact your solicitor to sue the double glazing company!)
Get one of those plaster smoothing knives with a wide flexible blunt blade, slip it between the removable sections and the glass and pop a section out.
You should then be able to remove the unit and take it with you, assuming you've got someone who can stay in the house :)
If you can't leave the window open, measure the thickness of each pane of glass and the airgap between them, along with the height and width, replace the unit in the window and the removable sections, then go off to the glazier and ask them to make you a new unit.
Used to cost me between £15 and £25 a unit depending on the size required.

Tech_Boy
10-07-2007, 10:47
My Cousin owns a glazing business & he makes up replacement units all the time.

Xaccers advice is spot on, it should be easy enough to just swap out the panel.

JediMaster
10-07-2007, 11:18
Dead easy to replace the unit yourself.
There should be removable sections that make up the window frame on the inside of the window (if the removable sections are on the outside, it's time to contact your solicitor to sue the double glazing company!).

how so? external beeding is not illegal afaik...

Tech_Boy
10-07-2007, 11:22
not illegal, but easy for some scumbag to break in, by popping out the beading & removing the glass (negating the noise that would be made by smashing the window & possibly alerting the neighbours).

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-07-2007, 11:57

Plus the OP hasnt said its UPVC in which case if the frames are wood you would put the beading on the outside so that if it rots you only have to replace the beeding and not the whole frame.

handyman
10-07-2007, 12:33
Double Glaxing panels are now only available with 'K' Glass afaik.

They need to be fitted 1 way only and the 'k' glass should be marked up. Pilkingtons will be able to supply you a new unit and it will be 1 sheet 4mm 'k' to 1 sheet 4mm normal glass. 99.9% of all double glazing units use 4mm glass.

You need only to know the width and height of the glass (including the bit hideen by the frame) and the spacer width. The spacers are filled with a silicon dessicant which should absorb the moisture and the sealed round the edge. If this seal is not perfect the unit can fail very fast.

@xaccers I think you are being optomistic on the price.

MovedGoalPosts
10-07-2007, 12:41
The failure of seals to double galzed panes is very common. Any decent glazier should be able to make up a new pane and either fit it for you, or you can DIY.

Seem to be some scare stories in this thread. I've never heard of any requirement that replacement glass to an existing window has to be "K" type (energy efficient), unless that is what was already there. That might be true of a completely new window, but not a repair. Similarly there is not requirement to have beading inside or out. Inside is now good practice for security, amongst other things, but it doesn't instantly condemn a window that doesn't meet modern standards.

The only real rule is that if you are now completely replacing the window (frame as well as glass) then you need Building Regulations Approval - usually taken care of by your FENSA registered installer. Primarily this is for energy efficiency, but alos safety in terms of glass strength in low height windows, or doors.

Xaccers
10-07-2007, 12:58
@xaccers I think you are being optomistic on the price.

Its what I was charged whenever the local scrotes smashed my windows, although that was 6 years ago.
Most espensive was a patio door, about £40
Still cheaper than the £50 it would have cost every single time I claimed on the insurance.
Replaced 3 windows and the door, and the front door glass.
Lovely neighbourhood.

Wicked_and_Crazy
10-07-2007, 13:02
You need only to know the width and height of the glass (including the bit hideen by the frame) and the spacer width. The spacers are filled with a silicon dessicant which should absorb the moisture and the sealed round the edge. If this seal is not perfect the unit can fail very fast.

Also note the space colour, it looks silly if the spacers are brown and you get a new unit with a silver spacer

ian@huth
10-07-2007, 16:53
I have just been quoted £110 to replace 3 glazing units (900mmx450mm, 1050x530mm and 970x720mm) The new units will have Pilkington Activ glass on the exterior. It will cost an extra £60 to have diamond leading on them on an internal face.

Angua
10-07-2007, 18:27
Thanks Folks

At least I don't have the expense of a whole new window. :D

Download Failed (1)