PDA

View Full Version : Retentions Deal

Xtinguish
09-07-2007, 15:01
I've been with NTL for five years with broadband (2 meg) and telephone and had excellent service, but since the Virgin rebrand and traffic management system was introduced, things have deteriorated rapidly. I've had the engineers out a few times because at 4pm, even if I haven't used my pc all day, I am immediately capped to 1 Meg. The engineers are aware of the problem but can't seem to sort it out so I decided to cancel broadband and just keep the phone. After 30 mins. on hold, I eventually got through to a very nice lady in retentions who immediately offered me half price broadband for 1 year while they attempt to improve things, which I think is quite acceptable under the circumstances. Well done Virgin Media as you've retained a loyal customer.

xspeedyx
09-07-2007, 15:56
I am glad you have had a good service and fair play for the deal as you are one in a few that customer that call retentions to cancel and got an offer like most people call just to get a better deal or there credit has stopped

tarrant_ino
09-07-2007, 16:03
That is quite amusing .. as after I contacted retentions to try and cancel my broadband ( again due to traffic shaping problems )

I was told they would do nothing except offer me a business account instead ! ! ( back to 10 mb )

so .... then I was advised by NTL retentions that.... although I live 1.2km from my exchange adsl would only give me a max speed of 2mb !( totally untrue BeThere have stated in writing that the minimum I should receive is 10mb as I am quite close to the exchange)

Again I haver been with Virgin/NTL for 4+ years and have a variety of services but it amazes me that certain customers are offered deals and others are not ???

I used to praise NTL/Virgin to all my friends and recommend them as appropriate but I just cannot justify that anymore

Think is definately time to contact BT and get my line re-connected .... at least then I can also get the channels I lost back via Sky then !

york
09-07-2007, 16:16
When i called retentions they adviced me to upgrade my tv package on the basis they would waiver the Non-DD charge, low and behold the following months bill had 2 NoN-DD charges for the same month plus my extra cost on my package upgrade.

I got tricked and conned, now as i understand it because i changed my package im now locked into a new 12 month contract. :td:

Hugh
09-07-2007, 16:26
May I suggest that you ask for email confirmation of any deals that you get; that way you have confirmation and an email contact.

banjo
09-07-2007, 18:06
When i called retentions they adviced me to upgrade my tv package on the basis they would waiver the Non-DD charge, low and behold the following months bill had 2 NoN-DD charges for the same month plus my extra cost on my package upgrade.

I got tricked and conned, now as i understand it because i changed my package im now locked into a new 12 month contract. :td:

Hang on a minute, I recently downgraded my broad band from 20 meg that was useless to 4 meg which is still very poor but a lot cheaper, but you are saying that I am locked into another 12 month contract ?

sav112
09-07-2007, 18:21
On 2mb for £10 here after i got rid of the Tv and phone.

york
09-07-2007, 18:36
Hang on a minute, I recently downgraded my broad band from 20 meg that was useless to 4 meg which is still very poor but a lot cheaper, but you are saying that I am locked into another 12 month contract ?

Thats what ive heard, VM wont tell you this when you change your package tho.

If you change your package ive heard off these forums that people who have been unhappy after the change are being threatened with an early termination fee because thier contact has been 'renewed'.

banjo
09-07-2007, 18:54
Would there be anyone from VM who can confirm or deny this set of circumstances, as another twelve months of this poor internet service will drive me batty.

Octimon
09-07-2007, 19:43
Surely to tie you in to a "contract" there would have to be a written "contract" signed by both the provider and the subscriber.

Akia
09-07-2007, 19:53
Complete and untter rubbish. your not tied into a contact just for upgrading or downgrading your services.

The only time you have to agree to a new contact is if you accept a retention offer. You should be clearly told when you accept the offer and they follow it up in writing, so you can't use the excuss i was never told.

You shouldn't always belive what you read on these forums, also jsut like you should belive what some people are saying that they've got as offers.

Mick Fisher
09-07-2007, 20:22
Complete and untter rubbish. your not tied into a contact just for upgrading or downgrading your services.

The only time you have to agree to a new contact is if you accept a retention offer. You should be clearly told when you accept the offer and they follow it up in writing, so you can't use the excuss i was never told.

You shouldn't always beleive what you read on these forums, also jsut like you should belive what some people are saying that they've got as offers.
Hmmm I recently accepted an offer from retentions. I was told offers can only be made for a period of 3 months due to deficiencies in VM's systems. There was absolutely no mention whatsoever about new 12 month contracts. Indeed if there had been I would never have accepted and would have cancelled there and then.
So it would seem that we shouldn't believe anything from anyone when it concerns VM. I would propose that these forums offer a much more reliable source of news and information since it is derived from personal experience and not from what appears to be downright misinformation from VM and it's agents.

BigLarry
09-07-2007, 20:25
Last year (August 2006) I rang and was told if I wanted the 10MB , which I was paying for (after the upgrade from 4MB i think it was) I would need a new modem. I was told it was free of charge etc. engineer came out and all was fine.

When i rang them the other day to cancel I was told I was still within the 12 month period even though I've actually been a broadband customer for just over 6 years.

I told them they'd have to take me to court for it and they quickly rescinded. If you're payment is on direct debit you just ring your bank and they IMMEDIATELY give you the money back while they investigate it, it's part of the agreement between companines who use direct debit and the banks.

If I hadn't of had my head screwed on I could have (and I'm sure many have) been forced into a cancellation fee which in fact wasn't ever due.

I used to, like others sing the praises of my broadband with NTL and the truth is now I wouldn't recommend Virgin broadband to my worst enemy.

Worse is the fact that after being forced through an hour of big brother you are constantly bombarded with adverts for Virgin Crapband. Sort of like salt in the wounds.

Bonglet
09-07-2007, 20:48
Well i take it you were out of or close to a new 12 month contract then xtinguish as all they really offered you was the offer a new person gets for signing up and now they have you locked for another 12 months so good luck as long as you get the service you want :).

and biglarry you admit to watching bigbrother shame :P

Akia
09-07-2007, 21:01
Hmmm I recently accepted an offer from retentions. I was told offers can only be made for a period of 3 months due to deficiencies in VM's systems. There was absolutely no mention whatsoever about new 12 month contracts. Indeed if there had been I would never have accepted and would have cancelled there and then.
So it would seem that we shouldn't believe anything from anyone when it concerns VM. I would propose that these forums offer a much more reliable source of news and information since it is derived from personal experience and not from what appears to be downright misinformation from VM and it's agents.

What you've been offered there isn't a retention bundle. Its a new customer offer which is why it only lasts for 3 months. the retention bundles are ongoing discounts that stay on for at least a year. Its these that you have to agree to a new contract. Your going to have a few problems cause they trying to stop these short term discounts cause it just causes people to ring all the time, as a company there trying to get people on the longer term deals so it stops people ringing up every 3 months.

xspeedyx
09-07-2007, 21:03
12 month contract start if u have a saver bundle not if u upgrade or downgrade

york
09-07-2007, 22:51

You shouldn't always belive what you read on these forums, also jsut like you should belive what some people are saying that they've got as offers.

Your right you shouldnt believe everything you read here, because i got nothing in writing about my retentions deal AT ALL. They also did not tell me i would have an extended contract, wether this 3 months or 12 months.

So yes, i can use the excuse i was never told because ... i wasnt.

The question still remains, if you accept a deal from retentions is your contract renewed?

I know darth said if you upgrade or downgrade you dont but thats not a clear answer (thanks for the info on upgrade/downgrade tho :) )

Akia
09-07-2007, 23:59
Yes I work in rentention.

If you accept a rentention bundle which shows on your bill as Customer Loyalty you need to accept a new 12 month contact which the advisor should tell you about and the system automatically sends out a letter to confirm this.

It dosn't apply to any that were put on before the 1st April,

It also dosn't apply to any other offer, including the 3 4 30 deals or short term offers like 3 months half price.