PDA

View Full Version : Modem Advice

BEDO
08-07-2007, 23:36
When I was on ADSL I disconnected the modem during thunderstorms.
I am now on cable, should I disconnect the athernet cable if thunderstorms are about?
What do you lads & lassies do?

Ron.

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2007, 00:09
Since my connections are usually in use 24/7 they don't get unplugged. It might be a good idea to disconnect. Phone based ADSL stuff, as with TV aerial connected systems, would have a much higher risk as often those are fed via above ground wires that could more easily be hit.

Halcyon
09-07-2007, 09:33
I think you are more likely to fry your modem when it used to be hooked up to the phone socket.
Phone lines up poles and in the sky are more likely to get hit than cables underground.

However, some people do say that you are just as likely to get spikes and get hit from cables on the cable network, even if buried underground.

For best peace of mind, I would fit a surge protector.
You can buy those that allow you to hook up everything such as phone, ethernet, TV, etc.

BEDO
09-07-2007, 19:10
Thank you Rob & Halcyon
I do have a anti surge block but I don't think my Belkin has an ethernet input/out put on it. I will have a look and if not I'll have a look on the web to see what's available.
Another thought has struck me Should the screwed in connection to the modem be unscrewed as this is the actual input connection from the street cabinet?
Thanks to both of you.

piggy
09-07-2007, 21:13
i have worked in the tv/telco industry for the past 25yrs and i would never disconnect anything if you are unlucky to get hit it is better to let the equipment fry. i have been to two hoses in the past when the customers unplugged the aerial from the tv, the tvs were fine the fire damge on the carpets and in the house was not so great. leave it alone and let the equipment fry......its safer

BEDO
09-07-2007, 21:41
i have worked in the tv/telco industry for the past 25yrs and i would never disconnect anything if you are unlucky to get hit it is better to let the equipment fry. i have been to two hoses in the past when the customers unplugged the aerial from the tv, the tvs were fine the fire damge on the carpets and in the house was not so great. leave it alone and let the equipment fry......its safer :gpoint:
Hi Piggy, I too was in the TV industry, and the general opinion was to leave the antenna connected. However, PCs and modems were not about in my day, hence my request for advice from present day techies ;)