PDA

View Full Version : Renault Espace

DES_1001
08-07-2007, 08:52
Hi
We Have just brought a Renault Grand Espace on a W plate 1998cc,and has anyone had any personal experience with one off these? ie owned one, Good and Bad points.
I have been phoning around to get a spare key for it, best price is £97, as it has a cat 1 immobilizer fitted and the key has to be programed to the car by Renault, every where i phoned told me the same.
I may also have to get the clutch adjusted! is this an easy job?
Any advice would be great.

gaffer_gump
08-07-2007, 09:42
I take it you got the car from a private seller iirc dealers have to supply two keys but £97 is a good price and why does the clutch need adjusting?

Imma no help help really just being nosey :D

Paul K
08-07-2007, 09:42
From honestJohn (http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/carbycar/index.htm)
Revamp of the original design put it back at the top of the class again. Now transverse-engined like Laguna. No other MPV had such a versatile seating arrangement at the time. Longer-bodied Grande Espace overcomes lack of luggage space with seven aboard. Best buys should have been the diesels (air intakes now in mirror assemblies). Four-Star performer and the best MPV in NCAP crash test (11 points front impact; 16 points side impact). Three year 60,000 mile UK warranty from October 2000. New 130bhp 2.2 litre direct injected common rail dCi diesel from Laguna II became available in March 2001 from £21,350. Diesels hold their values better than most other MPVs.

Last updated 28-4-2007.
What's Bad
Have heard of one wiring fire, which was a recall problem on the previous model diesels. Have been problems with the older 2.2 diesel engine (crankshaft thrust bearings dropping out is one). Quite a lot of niggling problems. Whole dashboard needs to come out to replace a single dashboard bulb. Radio is located in a well under the driver's seat where it can get waterlogged and fail. ECU may be programmed for LHD re airbags and seatbelts. Ungalvanized window frames can rust badly. Serious reliability problems reported by ADAC (the German breakdown organisation) in its 2001 report. In June 2001 Renault was rated by Motor Warranty Direct as Britain's joint 4th worst out of 22 marques for used car warranty claims. 3rd from Bottom in 144 car 2002 JD Power / What Car? Customer Satisfaction Survey of V and W reg cars. Bottom in 2002 Which reliability survey of cars up to 2 years old; 36 cars surveyed. Renault had above average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 114.24 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1998-2000 models average for breakdowns and poor for problems and faults in 2003 Which survey. 2nd bottom out of 137 models in 2003 Top Gear survey. Espace/Grande Espace 2nd bottom model in 2004 JD Power Customer Satisfaction Survey. This model Espace the least reliable car in 2005 Warranty Direct Reliability Survey with 69 repair claims per 100 cars. Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk

On 2.2 diesel engine, EGR valve, turbo and intercooler problems common. Transmission problems also common.

GREAT IN THEORY, BUT NOT RECOMMENDED.
What to Watch Out For
Chipped or cracked windscreens (it's a lot of glass). Family damage from baby's bottles, food, sweets, felt-tip pens, dogs, etc. Make sure the seat locking mechanisms aren't damaged. Before buying one of these, make sure everything works as it should: ABS warning light, automatic transmission, a/c, electrics. On diesel, listen for flywheel noises which could be first sign that crankshaft thrust washers have dropped out. Check windowframes for rust.
Recalls
2000: March '99-August '99 build: fuel could be ignited by heat from exhaust. 18/4/2000: 1,000 diesel engined cars built February to April 2000 may be fitted with defective brake vacuum pumps. 2001 TSB to replace Exhaust Gas Recirculation valves on 2000 model 2.2 litre diesel engines. 28/2/2001: Build datres 17/7/2000 - 20/9/2000: rear wheel brake calliper fastnings may shear leading to callipers becoming loose on the stub axles. Original fastnings to be replaced with modified type with lock washers. 15-07-2002: On 3,609 Espaces, electrical connections to side air bags may be transposed. Check and correcte where necessary. Also on n407 Espaces airbag control electrical wiring on driver's swivelling seat could become damaged and cause airbag to deploy. Wiring to be examined for damage. 23-09-2002: On 6,597 Espaces the underfloor spare wheel winch cable may seize or break and allow the wheel to fall into the road. Recall to fit modified spare wheel support cross member and winch unit.

DES_1001
08-07-2007, 10:42
The clutch bites right at the top, just been used to a sharper clutch and you are right it didn't come from a dealer Gaffer.
Thanks Paul a lot of info there, by the way my car is the petrol version.
So far everything works just fine, even the air conditioning is really cold, all of the electrics work, just the clutch could do with being a bit sharper!

smiffing
08-07-2007, 10:50
I have a 1996 (N plate) Renault Espace Alize, I bought it about a month ago, it's the 2.1 TDi, so far I have spent about £200.00 getting the small things fixed, it still has a vibration at about 60 MPH that gets steadily worse, having looked at the Honest John site I am now thinking about the drive shafts, everything else is working fine,the a/c works well and all the electrics ( I had to replace the electric window mechanism on the passenger side £30.00 from a breakers yard) work fine.
A nice vehicle to drive and comfortable, I really like my one.

DES_1001
08-07-2007, 11:35
Yes we have had a 1993 Espace for the last 3 years, it has been a good car and it's very good on petrol, we spent on a few bits but well worth it as it's a good reliable car!
we liked it so much we decided to upgrade to the newer version! The only thing is now we've got 3 cars, so i've got to sell the 1993 Espace now.

MovedGoalPosts
08-07-2007, 12:22
I have a 1997 Espace Diesel. Use it for scuba diving as it can take 4 adults and all their kit for a week and not complain. It's proven economical too. We've done trips to the Orkneys from home on less than 3 fuel tanks return (77 litres). That's not at all bad with the weight being carried and a heavy right foot for rather naughty speeds.

Yes some of the interior trim has taken a battering - one of the seat back tables is cracked, a couple of clips are missing from the window / sun roof screens, and many of the door seals have split. None of these are of concern to me when I'm constantly throwing wet kit into it. Maintenance costs have been fairly high though, mostly because I only use it at weekends. Things like brakes have partially seized through a lack of use and the engine coolant shows signs that something inside the engine might be corroding prematurely. The biggest oddity is that you have to use the aircon most of the time, even in winter, otherwise the windows steam up :confused:

It's a great vehicle to drive, handles well laden or empty. Would I buy another - definitely.

DES_1001
08-07-2007, 16:08
Yeah they are good cars, and they keep going forever! Been out for a blast down the motorway this afternoon and the new one really shifts!

DES_1001
09-07-2007, 18:35
Well sold the old car today, advertised it for £850 and the first person who came paid the asking price! thaught i'd only get £600, so good result!

portmadic2
20-11-2013, 16:48
does any one know if a a espaces needs a service would it make the red stop light come on as I got this put on a computer and came up a injector was not working on number 3 but the car runs as it should and picks up as it should and not sure if I should get the injector dun.with everthing running right I know it needs a service as the filters need doing would be greatfull of some help and sorry it would not show me new post option tyvm

Mick Fisher
20-11-2013, 17:11
If it needs a service then get one.

Then go from there.

portmadic2
20-11-2013, 19:07
ty mick do u know if the light would come on like that for ie a service as I only had this just under 2months tyvm for your reply to

MovedGoalPosts
20-11-2013, 19:17
A red light means something broke. Get it fixed.

Mick Fisher
21-11-2013, 16:10
does any one know if a a espaces needs a service would it make the red stop light come on as I got this put on a computer and came up a injector was not working on number 3 but the car runs as it should and picks up as it should and not sure if I should get the injector dun.with everthing running right I know it needs a service as the filters need doing would be greatfull of some help and sorry it would not show me new post option tyvm
As I said get it serviced then go from there.