PDA

View Full Version : Job Advice - What should I do?

pop80_uk
07-07-2007, 13:41
Hey people!
Basically I applied for a Senior Information Analyst job about a month ago, in the mean time the person above me in my current job who is a Contracts Buyer has handed in her notice and left.

I now have an interview for the Senior Information Analyst job and they seem pretty keen for me to apply. Ive also been offered the promotion to my old collegues position. Trouble is both are on the same money!

The promotion job is comfy slippers option, I could slip right into doing it and I know everyone and the enviroment although its not a real challange and im not sure on certain aspects of the organisation.

The Senior Information Analyst job is a new field to me, total new, would be a real challange and I would have to become really good really quick at Access and Excel, challaneging but I would not know the people or place and I just keep thinking what if I did not like it.

So what would you do? Which do you think has the best prospects?

Any Help appreciated!

Thanks
;)

bopdude
07-07-2007, 16:26
Better the devil you know, especially if you have to learn new tricks for the new job, stay where your at IMHO.

Slyder
07-07-2007, 16:58
Everyone is different, Personally I dont like changed unless I dont have a choice - so I would stay. Others like a new challenge.

Tuff call... hope you make the right decision. :)

danielf
07-07-2007, 17:03
Better the devil you know, especially if you have to learn new tricks for the new job, stay where your at IMHO.

Dunno. It could be argued that increasing your range of skills will be better in the long term.

Pop80: Is there any difference between the two in terms of career prospects (longer term)?

pop80_uk
07-07-2007, 18:06
Pop80: Is there any difference between the two in terms of career prospects (longer term)?

Well the promotion I suppose yes as its purchasing and Id become a contracts buyer, its if that interests me enough to continue though.

As for the Senior Infomation job, honestly im not sure, Is there a big need for people in this field?

Both are within the NHS and the promotion is slightly more in-secure than the new job.

I honestly have not idea, Its a tough call and im not sure what to do, but the interview for the new job is on Wednesday.

Any more help appreciated.;)
Thanks

TheDaddy
07-07-2007, 18:22
I honestly have not idea, Its a tough call and im not sure what to do, but the interview for the new job is on Wednesday.

Concentrate on giving a good presentation, work out what your options are once you have been offered the job ;)

Good luck :tu:

pop80_uk
09-07-2007, 08:47
Concentrate on giving a good presentation, work out what your options are once you have been offered the job ;)

Good luck :tu:

Im going to feel a bit bad doing that though as its not very ethical is it?
If you go to an interview and then get offered the job but turn it down, thats not good is it?

So confussed! :confused:

TheDaddy
09-07-2007, 08:55
If you go to an interview and then get offered the job but turn it down, thats not good is it?

Why, they'd only offer it to the next best applicant, seriously you have to do what you think is best and providing your reasons are sound no one will beat you up over it, stressing out over the situation is hardly the best preparation for an interview

Nugget
09-07-2007, 09:32

Nah, it's not unethical - before I took this job, I actually turned one down that was offering more money. Once I'd taken into account all the costs associated with actually getting there 5 days a week (it was in Hull, so would have involved a bridge toll twice a day), it didn't actually make financial sense to take it. Companies will accept that you may have changed your mind - it won't be the first time it's happened to them :)

Out of interest, how old are you? That might help sway the decision somewhat :)

videodj
09-07-2007, 09:35
Hey people!
Basically I applied for a Senior Information Analyst job about a month ago, in the mean time the person above me in my current job who is a Contracts Buyer has handed in her notice and left.

I now have an interview for the Senior Information Analyst job and they seem pretty keen for me to apply. Ive also been offered the promotion to my old collegues position. Trouble is both are on the same money!

The promotion job is comfy slippers option, I could slip right into doing it and I know everyone and the enviroment although its not a real challange and im not sure on certain aspects of the organisation.

The Senior Information Analyst job is a new field to me, total new, would be a real challange and I would have to become really good really quick at Access and Excel, challaneging but I would not know the people or place and I just keep thinking what if I did not like it.

So what would you do? Which do you think has the best prospects?

Any Help appreciated!

Thanks
;)

Having to learn new skills for a job can be tricky and could come back to bite you. Promotion is always good and staying with the same company is always good for any career.

What sort of skills do you need to learn and in what timescale. Excel and Access can take time to master when working with formulas, vb, complicated queries etc.

I guess it depends how motivated you are to learn and move on.

fizgog
09-07-2007, 09:36
I would except the promotion and also go for the interview on Wednesday but don't tell anyone.

If you get offered the job you could then way up the pros/cons and maybe wangle extra money out of one of the jobs ;)

TheBlueRaja
09-07-2007, 09:53
If you enjoy what you do right now - stick with the comfy slippers and don't move, you could end up doing something you don't like and hating it. Far better the devil you know, having a job you like is a amazing thing and not to be thrown away lightly.

Aragorn
09-07-2007, 09:55
As Nugg said, it might help to know how old you are. If you're the top side of 40, maybe the safe comfortable option is best. Otherwise maybe a challenge would be a good thing. Also of there is any hint of insecurity, adding a new skill to your CV might be a good idea.
You could also use the potential promotiton as a bargaining chip for negotiating a good deal on the new job.

pop80_uk
09-07-2007, 12:29
Nah, it's not unethical - before I took this job, I actually turned one down that was offering more money. Once I'd taken into account all the costs associated with actually getting there 5 days a week (it was in Hull, so would have involved a bridge toll twice a day), it didn't actually make financial sense to take it. Companies will accept that you may have changed your mind - it won't be the first time it's happened to them :)

Out of interest, how old are you? That might help sway the decision somewhat :)

Hi
Thanks for everything so far, im 25 years old.

Aragorn
09-07-2007, 12:39
Hi
Thanks for everything so far, im 25 years old.
In which case, I would advise adding another string to your bow.

pop80_uk
09-07-2007, 12:43
Both jobs are within the NHS, so there is no scope for salary negotiations really.
I honestly don't know what to do, I don't want to go to the interview and then possibly get offered the job and then turn it down, I'd feel terrible for wasting peoples time and also possible burning a future bridge. Equally if I pull out the interview then It could have the same effect.

I appreciate everones comments, and I do like some aspects of the comfy slippers job, although the problem is I applied for the other position before I knew about the promotion, and there were reasons for this. Question is, is the Grass always Greener.

Id have to become pretty good at Excel and Access pretty quick and also l fully learn SQL over about a year.

Any more help or advice appreciated!

danielf
09-07-2007, 12:48
In which case, I would advise adding another string to your bow.

Yes, same here. I think having multiple skills will be helpful for your career in the longer run (as it shows you can pick up new skills easily). The only thing to be careful about is to not try and develop too many (disparate) skills as it might look like you're just flitting about. But, that's no concern at this time.

---------- Post added at 12:48 ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 ----------

Both jobs are within the NHS, so there is no scope for salary negotiations really.
I honestly don't know what to do, I don't want to go to the interview and then possibly get offered the job and then turn it down, I'd feel terrible for wasting peoples time and also possible burning a future bridge. Equally if I pull out the interview then It could have the same effect.

Have you considered being honest? Just tell them what the deal is, and that you are considering your options? Just be careful you don't come across as if you're trying to use it as a bargaining chip. They may actually tell you things that will help you in making your mind up.

I've been in a situation where I had an interview a day after I was offered another job, so I pretty much told them to get a move on with the procedure (they had been terribly slow in inviting me for an interview) if they were serious about hiring me. They did, but I went with the other job anyway. Bottom line is, interviewing can be a two way street. :)