PDA

View Full Version : Virgin webmail

McArthur
06-07-2007, 19:12
Can anybody tell me if i can copy my Outlook Express address book to my virgin webmail?

joglynne
06-07-2007, 20:08
Hi McArthur, :Welcome: to the forum.

As you're still waiting for an answer here's what I found. According to the help section of my ntlmail you need to do this.
On the File menu, point to Import, and then click Other Address Book.
Click the address book or file type you want to import, and then click Open.

If your address book is not listed, you can export it to either a text (.csv) file or an LDAP Directory Interchange Format (LDIF) file, and then import it using that file type.
:erm:personally I don't understand the last part but as I have always admitted to being technically challenged that's not surprising.:) If the above is totally wrong I am sure someone will be along to give you the right answer.:D

McArthur
06-07-2007, 21:21
Hi McArthur, :Welcome: to the forum.

As you're still waiting for an answer here's what I found. According to the help section of my ntlmail you need to do this.
:erm:personally I don't understand the last part but as I have always admitted to being technically challenged that's not surprising.:) If the above is totally wrong I am sure someone will be along to give you the right answer.:D

Thanks joglynne and thanks for the welcome. I am trying what you said but i am still having difficulty but I'll persevere!

thelem
06-07-2007, 21:50
Is you address @ntl or @blueyonder?

You will first need to export you address book from outlook express. I haven't got a copy handy, but look for an export option in the file menu, you'll need to export it in CSV format (hopefully you'll be given this as an option or it will do it automatically). The result will be a file on your computer containing your address book.

Then you'll need to login to your webmail to import them. If you've got an @blueyonder address then the next step is to click on addresses along the top. Then click the browse button next to "import CSV file" and find the file you saved earlier. Then click "Import CSV file". That should be it.

If you've got an @ntl address then the first part will be the same but the second part (inside the webmail) will be different, just have a look around and see what the options available are.

homealone
06-07-2007, 22:07
This is what I found

creating an address list

By creating an address list, you can create a shortcut that refers to many addresses at once. You can build lists from stored addresses, addresses that are not stored, shortcuts, and other lists.

The following is an example of an address list:

list name = Coffeegroup
joe@acme.comde
sue@acme.com
meg@acme.com

When you compose a message and put the string Coffeegroup, in the To field of the Compose page, the e-mail message goes to all three users at once.

To create an address list:
1. On the Addresses page, click Create Address.
A form for entering new address names appears.
2. In the First or Last field, enter the name of the address list.
3. In the Email field, enter the e-mail addresses you want in the list, separated by commas.
4. Click Save.
The address list is created.

from

http://webmail.ntlworld.com/en_US/help/address.htm

- as thelem says, you will need to generate a csv file (comma separated), first :)

McArthur
07-07-2007, 13:49
This is what I found

from

http://webmail.ntlworld.com/en_US/help/address.htm

- as thelem says, you will need to generate a csv file (comma separated), first :)

Thanks homealone, I have read over the creating an address list help from the webmail site and i have created a csv file but i still do not see how i can put the address book into webmail without listing the addresses individually

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 ----------

Is you address @ntl or @blueyonder?

You will first need to export you address book from outlook express. I haven't got a copy handy, but look for an export option in the file menu, you'll need to export it in CSV format (hopefully you'll be given this as an option or it will do it automatically). The result will be a file on your computer containing your address book.

Then you'll need to login to your webmail to import them. If you've got an @blueyonder address then the next step is to click on addresses along the top. Then click the browse button next to "import CSV file" and find the file you saved earlier. Then click "Import CSV file". That should be it.

If you've got an @ntl address then the first part will be the same but the second part (inside the webmail) will be different, just have a look around and see what the options available are.
Thanks thelem, i had figured out the csv file part but i still do not see the equivalent of import CSV file in blueyonder in the virgin webmail

homealone
07-07-2007, 17:56
Thanks homealone, I have read over the creating an address list help from the webmail site and i have created a csv file but i still do not see how i can put the address book into webmail without listing the addresses individually

afaik a csv file is plain text, so you could open it in Notepad, select & copy the text, then paste it in the email field on the webmail form :)

N.B. As I read it, all this will do is send any messages to all the people in the list, though, rather than be able to choose individuals from the list. To store individual addresses, it seems they must be input manually ...

McArthur
11-07-2007, 09:20
afaik a csv file is plain text, so you could open it in Notepad, select & copy the text, then paste it in the email field on the webmail form :)

N.B. As I read it, all this will do is send any messages to all the people in the list, though, rather than be able to choose individuals from the list. To store individual addresses, it seems they must be input manually ...

Thanks again, I think you are correct. I have to input them manually.