PDA

View Full Version : Power question

HowardCanning
06-07-2007, 18:21
Hi all,

Hopefully a simple question... If there's a powercut in the neighbourhood, does this knock out the power to VM's hubs down the roads, under the roads, etc? Or are they on a seperate grid/battery backup?

Reason I ask is that I'm curious if UPSing my modem and equipment will be pointless if it won't work anyway!

Paul K
06-07-2007, 18:24
UPS'ing your PC would protect your data from corruption due to sudden shut down but I think in event of an area wide power failure you would lose connection as the cabs would probably fail anyway.

JackSon
06-07-2007, 18:27
It sure does, as I experienced this about a fortnight ago durign that first real period of heavy rain. The village is on two different electric suplies so only half of it was in blackout; luckily my half was still supplied with power. The cabinets however in the blacked out side of town seemed to be causing bother as my internet and digital tv service did not function. I didn't try the phone to see if that was down too as this was 3am and had just come home from work and not thought to check.

I do wonder how that would have gone down with broadband tech support if I had called, as a power cut is neither my fault or VM's, and if I hadn't driven through the village I would have been unaware the rest of it was having a blackout. So technically, I could have not known about the power problem and called to see what the problem was, so would this get refunded? I think perhaps it wouldn't be. Differnet issue though, I sense I am going way OT ;)

papa smurf
06-07-2007, 18:49
vm cabs are fed via the street lighting circuit,if there is a power outage the cabs switch to battery backup ,and an engineer is dispatched to power up the cab [with generator] this stops at 11 pm and re comences at 7 am due to noise laws.