PDA

View Full Version : Switching cable input between computers

wheelock
06-07-2007, 12:46
No doubt this is basic 101
But here goes, I have 2 pc's and would like to be able to switch my broadband feed between them.
I recollect hearing or Reading that this is easy to do now.

Can I just plug and go Or do I have to mess with ip addresses etc.
Just want be able to do it quickly and reliably with no messing.

Sorry it this has been covered a million times before!

Mark

Stuart
06-07-2007, 12:52
You can do this, but you need to ensure you unplug the cable modem from the mains first, then switch, then plug the cable modem back in, otherwise the modem will not recognise the PC.

It's far easier (in the long run) to buy a router, such as the Linksys WRT54G series (even if you don't need the wireless, just turn it off until you do).

fatassmichael
06-07-2007, 12:53
Mark, i'd say the best option is to get yourself a router, that way you can have both pc's wired upto the internet without switching cables.

wheelock
06-07-2007, 13:39
Thanks Guys
So all this is less hassle now?
I seem to recollect in years past [telewest times] that swapping thing around was a pain.

Anyhow
So am I right in thinking has its own ip address and the computers effectively share that.
So I can network the computers together without one having firewall agro trying get the net from the gateway?

The only reason all this came about is because my TV failed yesterday.
My backup pc is really only used for storage and reserved in case the main
unit fails.
But now I am considering adding the hardware to turn it into a TV .
So I would also like to use it for web access.

Basically it seems I need tv hardware, router,speakers and I will be sorted?
Hope these router and tv card are not too much ££
on a bit tiny budget here!

Thanks

Mark

EzBeanz
06-07-2007, 13:41
stay away from Linksys nothing but a nightmare them things! friggin anal firmware.
been using a netgear for a few years now never had any probs with it, i got my sister a d-link for £25 with wireless USB stick 6months and no probs as of yet

xspeedyx
06-07-2007, 14:13
Okay as long as you use ethernet cbl's you should be fine windows will find the ip address for you and I do agree router is the best option

wheelock
06-07-2007, 14:13
Hi Ezbeanz
Ok so linksys have caused you probs, will bear that in mind.
I guess it will be a case of stab in the dark with choice of hardware, don't really have the luxury of time or budget to research and find the 'best' hardware.

will have a nose around in town this afternoon..

Mark