PDA

View Full Version : Connection Gone Bang, Modem to

jpbluff
06-07-2007, 09:44
Help…..

After months and months of connection problems (random disconnects) I was finally told that there was a problem in my area Birmingham B33 and that this should finally be resolved by 06.07.07. Hurrah

04.07.07 Internet completely went bang, no connection at all and ONLINE light off while all other lights stable (Motorola SB52101E Modem) thought I would leave it another day incase it was all part of the plan for the final fix on 06.07.07.

05.07.07 still no signal at all and Online light still off, called through to VM (25p per min) and spent several mins being told that no problem in area but they need to send out an Engineer. I did explain that I had already had several engineers out over the last few months and surely it was something on the network so no need for me to book day off work to wait in for some bloke to tell me nothing inside the house is causing the problem. But I finally gave in and agreed to wait for next available engineer 10.07.07.

After sitting down and thinking about this problem and having to wait for an engineer I decided to call back to see if I got a more experienced person. But nope, spoke to what must have been the office idiot as he advised me it was the modem’s fault and I would need to wipe modem and reconfigure……â₠¬Â¦After a few mins of protesting I finally clicked the button to wipe, at this time the Cust service guy told me it would take 5-30mins to reconfigure, then hung up.

3hrs later the modem is still showing no lights other than the power light on, the status screen on the 192…….. page is blank no stats for Upstream or down, of course I know this is because I have no internet signal hence the reason why it wont auto configure….

Thank you VM for charging me for the pleasure of having a service which I cannot use and then charging me to tell me the service is not working…VM I salute you.

Any Techie guys out there that have any suggestions on

1: Setting s for modem (can I put them in manually?
2: Why would I originally have no connection (Online light off)

ollie2001
06-07-2007, 10:35
If there's no stats for upstream/downstream, surely that means there's no signal power to it at all? Do you get the same results with the VM cable completley removed from the modem?

What's your current VM setup? Any set top boxes? Are they running off the same cable? Are they ok?

If you have a set top box, if you have the time of course, you could try and put that on the cable that your cable modem is connected to and see if it works, if not, you definatley know the whole cable is dead.

Good luck!

Stuart
06-07-2007, 10:45
jpbluff, it sounds like your modem has failed. VM need to replace it (or at least check your connection). You'll need to phone them again.