PDA

View Full Version : Arggghhhhhhh

Nidge
06-07-2007, 05:17
Smashed my car up on Tuesday night while travelling down the M1, I was following a Mercedes Sprinter van from junction 30 to junction 29, I noticed his back end was swerving about, I thought nothing of it until all of a sudden he spun round in the middle of the motorway, I hit him right in the side, another car ploughed into the back of me and another car ploughed into the the back of him. My motor is a right mess, all the airbags went off, front end is totalled, back end is totalled, to say I'm gutted is a under statement.

I've been on the phone to the insurance company to sort the claim out, I asked them if I could have a hire car until my claim is sorted out? They were trying to dodge the question about the hire car. I have fully comp insurance surley a hire car is all part of the deal on fully comprehensive.

It makes you wonder why we have insurance these days.

Paul K
06-07-2007, 06:12
Insurance companies work on the idea that the people taking out the insurance will either never use it or never fully understand what they are entitled to should they have to use it. I take it that despite the mess that the car is in that you are OK?

skyblueheroes
06-07-2007, 08:07
Read the small print. Someone at work is having an argument with their insurer about the same thing.

I got a car from the repair center when I was hit.

Sounds scary though dude - you okay ?

Halcyon
06-07-2007, 11:30
I'm sure I heard about this car crash on the radio.
Main thing is that you are safe and well :tu:

Good luck with the insurance.

Wicked_and_Crazy
06-07-2007, 12:05
Some fully comp insurances now make the hire car option an added extra. If your not to blame then the hire car will be funded by someone elses insurance, however if a car spins in front of you on a motorway (ie no oncoming traffic) and you pile into it, you will most lilely be seen at fault as you were unable to stop in time. The fact that people then piled into you makes it complicated as theyre responsible for your rear damage. If you can prove that it was that cars piled into you as you were slowing down which caused you to pile into the van then the car at the back of the queue might well carry the can.

jkat
06-07-2007, 13:36
well the accident wasnt your fault so tell the insurer u are going to send them the bill for hire car, my daughter had the same problem and this is what she did and it worked. goodf luck

videodj
06-07-2007, 14:08
Smashed my car up on Tuesday night while travelling down the M1, I was following a Mercedes Sprinter van from junction 30 to junction 29, I noticed his back end was swerving about, I thought nothing of it until all of a sudden he spun round in the middle of the motorway, I hit him right in the side, another car ploughed into the back of me and another car ploughed into the the back of him. My motor is a right mess, all the airbags went off, front end is totalled, back end is totalled, to say I'm gutted is a under statement.

I've been on the phone to the insurance company to sort the claim out, I asked them if I could have a hire car until my claim is sorted out? They were trying to dodge the question about the hire car. I have fully comp insurance surley a hire car is all part of the deal on fully comprehensive.

It makes you wonder why we have insurance these days.

If the car was repairable the insurer would give you a courtesy car. If they give you a car and then your car was declared a write off the car would be taken back. If the car is declared a write off straight a way then no courtesy car would have to be offered. Alot of companies offer hire car cover to account for this, but it is an optional extra. I have it on my policy with admiral and if I needed to use it, they would cover the cost of a hire car for 21 days.

Alot of insurance companies aren't very clear on these things and people very rarely read the small print. Chances are, legally they are correct by saying there not obilged to offer a hire car. I used to work for an insurance company and claims dept's wii pull out all the stops to avoid paying out.

If the claim will be eventually settled by a third party then any hire car charges can be billed to them.

At least your ok, that's the main thing!

Jules
06-07-2007, 20:30
Hope you are ok

Nidge
07-07-2007, 06:41
Hope you are ok

I'm fine Jules thanks just a little stiff thats all.:(

---------- Post added at 06:40 ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 ----------

well the accident wasnt your fault so tell the insurer u are going to send them the bill for hire car, my daughter had the same problem and this is what she did and it worked. goodf luck

Still no sign of a hire car, I'll tell you something, avoid a company called Brit Insurance, they aren't slow in taking your money off you but when it come to claiming through your insurance they are as slow as a slow thing on a slow day. Also avoid the RAC warranty now called AA warranty, they promise the earth but you get nothing in return.

---------- Post added at 06:41 ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 ----------

I'm sure I heard about this car crash on the radio.
Main thing is that you are safe and well :tu:

Good luck with the insurance.

That could have been me, the motorway had 2 lanes closed for about an hour while they recovered the vehicles.

Maggy
07-07-2007, 17:38
My last accident the car was a write off but as the other driver had accepted the blame(I was stationary) and I kept nagging about it I got a hire car courtesy of his insurers(Tesco insurance) until I could replace mine.

I think you just have to keep asking like I did before you get any joy...:erm:

SMG
08-07-2007, 00:24
Videodj is correct. By the sound of it your car is a write off. Your Ins co won`t give you a hire car. If you have the legal cover on your policy, get on to them & let them sort it out for you.

If you hire a car yourself, you have to hire the cheapest & most compatible vehicle. You can then claim the cost off the guilty party, but beware, if 100% blame cannot be attached to the other party, you wont get the cost of the hire car back, & you will foot the bill yourself.