PDA

View Full Version : Do VM do a 6mb service?

Apness
06-07-2007, 00:12
Only reason am asking is that I was on 20mb up to tuesday, finally got fed up and dropped to 2mb, speeds on that were showing around 600kb just run a test and it's showing 6mb speeds just now. I'm confused as to what speed I am actually on, but it will probably be back to normal (sub 1mb, glacial surfing etc, waiting for pages to load like walking through treacle) in the morning, or be off completely with lots of gaps where lights should be flashing on the box. Paying £18/month now (just got the email to say they are sucking some more cash from me for their intermittent service, which is nice. Wish my bill was intermittent too :( ) but will see what retentions want to do to persuade me somehow to stay, probably nothing. I'm betting I cancel tommorrow anyway, out of sheer frustration with my 600kb/2mb/6mb/no meg at all service.

Sirpingalot
06-07-2007, 01:12
Only reason am asking is that I was on 20mb up to tuesday, finally got fed up and dropped to 2mb, speeds on that were showing around 600kb just run a test and it's showing 6mb speeds just now. I'm confused as to what speed I am actually on, but it will probably be back to normal (sub 1mb, glacial surfing etc, waiting for pages to load like walking through treacle) in the morning, or be off completely with lots of gaps where lights should be flashing on the box. Paying £18/month now (just got the email to say they are sucking some more cash from me for their intermittent service, which is nice. Wish my bill was intermittent too :( ) but will see what retentions want to do to persuade me somehow to stay, probably nothing. I'm betting I cancel tommorrow anyway, out of sheer frustration with my 600kb/2mb/6mb/no meg at all service.

Sorry to hear that. Are the download speeds you're getting based on results from speedtest sites?

Could you trial a download from http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html and report back, please :) (I'm not trying to suggest you aren't getting poor speeds...)

deathtrap3000
06-07-2007, 01:26
Why not just check your configuration to see what your actually on.

Sirpingalot
06-07-2007, 03:09
Do that & Run a Speedcheck, please.

Apness
06-07-2007, 07:24
Ok, damn, I'm REALLY confused now. I was hitting 2.0mb/sec download speed off that site (ATI), not seen that even when I thought I was on the 20mb service, (and it's not quite 20mb anyway, but faster than anything I have seen so far...).

So, I'm paying for 2mb, getting 600kb during the day, last night I was maxing at 6mb on a couple of sites, this morning I'm on 20mb?

How can I check my configuration to see what I'm on? I looked at the modem control panel yesterday and it listed what I thought were max speeds (Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000 bps) for the modem, not what speed I'm paying for/supposed to be on.

I honestly have no idea what's going on now. Should I be complaining about my crappy intermittent service or keeping shut cause they kept me on 20mb instead of dropping to 2mb or will that revert to 20mb after a set time - say when the current billing period runs out? Baffled.

fatassmichael
06-07-2007, 08:46
Apness, your config file from the modem is still on 20mb, easiest way to check is look at the maximum upstream data rate: 200000 =2mb, 400000 = 4mb, 512000 = 10mb, 768000= 20mb.
HTH

cybernetic_tiger
06-07-2007, 10:29
So, I'm paying for 2mb, getting 600kb during the day, last night I was maxing at 6mb on a couple of sites, this morning I'm on 20mb?

Remember that the speed you "get" is only as fast as you deem it to be by using the tools you have tested it with.

Sirpingalot asked you to test from AMD as they have the available bandwidth to provide you with a 20Mb download stream. There are many companies out there that are still working on 2/10Mb services.

xspeedyx
06-07-2007, 10:55
Ok I just used the ati site and I was getting 950KB/s and only been like this since wireless connection this sites speed test gives me 5mb gamefiles gives me 8.5mb and speed test.net goves me 3mb dam speed test