PDA

View Full Version : Virgin STB Audio to Hi-Fi

Meddling Man
05-07-2007, 16:28
My call for help is similar to that of Smiley2 post of yesterday.
I have recently joined Virgin Media Cable for my TV and I have been given a Samsung SMT2110 box. I wish to supply the audio from the cable box through my new Yamaha CRXM170 dab system. As this is now part of set up that obviously includes a TV (Samsung LE-37R87 LCD) and a Panasonic DVD recorder. My aim, is to when required route the audio from all, particularly cable box through the hi fI. I have connected these as shown on several internet sites using three scart leads and all six available sockets, and this seems to work ok. To get the sound to my hi fi I bought a scart adaptor with phono outputs which I put into the cable STB top scart and reconnected the scart lead. From this inline adaptor I ran two phono cables to an aux input on the hi fi but no sound at all comes through.
Could it be a duff adaptor and I would better off getting a scart to scart with two phono plugs from Maplin's?
I would greatly appreciate any help you can throw on this matter.
Thanks

MovedGoalPosts
05-07-2007, 16:33
:welcome: to Cable Forum :tu:

All I've used is a scart lead with phono breakout from the STB.

Kneebs
05-07-2007, 17:15
Could it be that the scart cable you have is an input? Do you have a video connected to your STB? If so & it has phono outs, you could tune the video to the cable input & use that....

Meddling Man
06-07-2007, 09:14
Rob, Kneebs
Thanks for your posts. I have got audio through to my amp now by running a phono lead from tv to the amp aux input, which is partly what I am after as i can now get better sound through hi-fi speakers. To complete what I want I would like to listen to the radio via cable without having the tv on ie STB to amp direct.
I know this sounds panickity, there are a couple of stations my wife and me would like to listen to but are not covered in my area by local DAB. One station Magic we can get on cable and by having a roof top aerial we can also pick it up on DAB but it is not aimed for our area but but Birmingham 20 odd miles away but the reception is a lot better via cable. Finally it seems pointless running a large tv just to run audio through when it can be bypassed.

Halcyon
06-07-2007, 11:35
Have you tried hooking up a scart from the set top box to your TV that also has a left and right phono cable coming out of it too.

Something like this:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=29903&&source=14&doy=search