PDA

View Full Version : Newsgroups!!!!

tlcnick
04-07-2007, 20:45
Hi guys / gals

Was just wandering if anyone can shed some light on a issue thats driving me nuts.

For the last week near enough every article in most of the blueyonder vigin media news server has been incomplete, i have tried resseting the groups but to no avail. i amusing newsleecher as aclient and news.blueyonder.co.uk as a server.

help me please :disturbd::disturbd::disturbd::confused:

Cobbydaler
04-07-2007, 21:21
Hi guys / gals

Was just wandering if anyone can shed some light on a issue thats driving me nuts.

For the last week near enough every article in most of the blueyonder vigin media news server has been incomplete, i have tried resseting the groups but to no avail. i amusing newsleecher as aclient and news.blueyonder.co.uk as a server.

help me please :disturbd::disturbd::disturbd::confused:

This was posted in the newsgroups, I got it second hand in a post of 27/06. Don't know the original post date...

We lost part of the storage due to a quick succession double disk
failure. This happened yesterday morning, the effect of this is a loss
of about 1/16 of the storage, so there will be incompletes, but doest
effect the normal operation of the platform. We do also have another
issue with one of our peers, where we have seen a significant drop in
the articles there are sending us over the past few days and we don't
seem to be making it up through our others. We are trying to set up a
communication channel with them but are also looking to set up new peers
to overcome this shortfall.

--
Alan Gordon
Internet Operations

Delta Whiskey
04-07-2007, 23:07
Don't expect to much from VM as far as newsgroups goes, they alongside all other ISP's spend very little on the server farm. If you are a serious newsgroup user then you should use a premium ISP like Easynews or Giganews. Easynews is $9.98 (about £5.20) a month for 20Gigs and a 30 day retention time.

No doubt others will chip in with their favorite premium ISP. :D

danielf
05-07-2007, 00:35
News.blueyonder.co.uk has been pants for the last week and a half. Look here:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/33616945-ex-blueyonder-newsgroup-access.html

graham1332
05-07-2007, 11:17
Maybe if everyone stuck together , and said to VM , right we dont want to be with you anymore , { i know this would never happenn } but it would make them sit up and start doing something , you can ring tech service , but even they dont know what they are talking about ,,, i wonder if we all could vote on this ,, you know stick together and say enough is enough , let everyone disconnect and go to someone else , VM must read this lot we put on this cable forum ,,,,,, lets see if we can vote ,, see how many people come on this bit and say they have had enough ,,,,,,,,,

Richy99
05-07-2007, 13:29
so basically leave because of the usenet access where the majority of binary posts are copyrighted materials? and before anyone tries it, yes there are groups out there which are public domain, but how many use them for that?

Rik
05-07-2007, 13:56
No doubt others will chip in with their favorite premium ISP. :D

Theres only one option for the hardcore usenet user and that is Giganews.

24/7 2.34MB/s here :)

DABhand
05-07-2007, 22:59
so basically leave because of the usenet access where the majority of binary posts are copyrighted materials? and before anyone tries it, yes there are groups out there which are public domain, but how many use them for that?

Remember though who originally placed the groups there on the BY usenet server.