PDA

View Full Version : NTL120 reaches 2000+Kb/s

xpod
04-07-2007, 17:51
Just thought i`d let other NTL120(and similar) users know that i actually witnessed 2000+Kb/s out of my own 120 earlier on this afternoon.....not for long but i did see it for a minute or two:)

Like others, i`ve been doing the daily checks now since the "upgrade" and like others my speeds have often been drastic at times since that "upgrade".Even when things seemed OK though the max i would ever see(when downloading) would be about 16-17Mb....and that was only now & again of course.

I dont download enough of anything to warrant paying for Newsgroup access so the only real way i have of getting a decent indication is by downloading an iso or something from an a Virgin mirror.
Anyway, for about a minute or so of a roughly a 5 minute download i had just over 2000Kb/s this afternoon although it did drop back to the 16-17 mark again after about a minute and a half.
Still not the max i know but it`s more than the 16 that many of us(including me) had been assuming it capable of.Assumption is the mother of all F*** up`s as they say eh:erm:

As long as ours is ON and we can all use the pc`s of an evening without any real trouble then it`s neither here nor there.....an overnight torrent in the 100`s of Kb/s rather than 1000`s of Kb/s is more than enough for our needs if truth be told.

That still dont stop me having a wee check every bloody day to see though:sleep:

JackSon
04-07-2007, 17:57
Yours could be of a better batch, some may be worse. Bit of luck in that respect but very happy to hear you're getting some action out of the old gal :) Hope it doesn't burn out.

Simcut
04-07-2007, 18:02
I love how VM deny there are any problems with the NTLHome 120 modems...... :S

JackSon
04-07-2007, 18:03
My belief is that there are just so many 100's, 120's and 200's out there that it would be too expenseive to replace them all in one go, so pretend they are capable.

xpod
04-07-2007, 18:33
Yours could be of a better batch, some may be worse. Bit of luck in that respect but very happy to hear you're getting some action out of the old gal Hope it doesn't burn out.

Dont speak tooo soon....:)
Our Modems connection completely died over the weekend and didn`t come back on till 5 minutes before the engineer tapped the door on Monday morning:rolleyes:

Thought i`d be getting some shiney new one on Monday after all but the old silver surfer`s still here doing it`s thing......apparently it`s the other end thats not "doing it`s thing" just now according to the chap i seen;)

Dru
04-07-2007, 18:58
Well strangely with all the problems I had with my 120 when I was on 10mb I've had zero problems with it since I got 20mb. I can get 2.3/2.4mb/s anytime the server I'm downloading from has the bandwidth to spare so I'm very happy with my 120 now. (I'd still prefer a newer modem though as it is pretty old)

JamesG2
04-07-2007, 19:14
I'm in Cambridge and upgraded from Broadband L to Broadband XL this morning. The speed seems a bit variable. The best I'm getting is 16Mbits/sec from my newsgroup provider.

My cable modem is an ancient NTL Home 100. Any idea if it's the modem topping out at 16Mbits or if there's more work to be done in Cambridge?

xpod
04-07-2007, 19:35
Well strangely with all the problems I had with my 120 when I was on 10mb I've had zero problems with it since I got 20mb. I can get 2.3/2.4mb/s anytime the server I'm downloading from has the bandwidth to spare so I'm very happy with my 120 now. (I'd still prefer a newer modem though as it is pretty old)

I`m the opposite,i only started having "problems" after the upgrade.
I call them"problems" but dropping to 4 or 5 Mb is`nt exactly the end o the world.

James Harland
04-07-2007, 19:44
I wish I could say the same about mine. I assume this is the one that says "ntl:home 120" on the bottom? :rolleyes:

It's currently churning out blistering speeds of:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/114.png

Although when we first upgraded to 20MBit it was getting these:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/115.png

JamesG2
04-07-2007, 19:49
I don't trust that speedtest.net. Most of my tests have shown my download speed to be 500kbits/sec which is rubbish. Download a large file on a decent server or try the speed test on this site. I got this:

Wed, 04 Jul 2007 18:04:18 GMT

1st 512K took 281 ms = 1822.1 KB/sec, approx 15014 Kbps, 14.66 Mbps
2nd 512K took 250 ms = 2048 KB/sec, approx 16876 Kbps, 16.48 Mbps
3rd 512K took 219 ms = 2337.9 KB/sec, approx 19264 Kbps, 18.81 Mbps
4th 512K took 250 ms = 2048 KB/sec, approx 16876 Kbps, 16.48 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 17008 Kbps, 16.61 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here.

James Harland
04-07-2007, 19:56
Forgive my ignorance (I'm a little new lol) but surely the speed test on this site will be much faster as it's hosted on an ntlworld webpage?

Edit: Ah never mind, it must be Speedtest.net, Jolt shows me up :blush:

http://www.pc-retail.com/upload/files/8.demo.jpg

Sorry I jumped to conclusions, I've been on hold to Xbox 360 support for 40 minutes so far about my steering wheel that's broken in less than a month :mad:

xpod
04-07-2007, 20:11
Forgive my ignorance (I'm a little new lol) but surely the speed test on this site will be much faster as it's hosted on an ntlworld webpage?

Your doing better than me at the mo as i`m showing about 7-9Mb just now....thats on both the site i downloaded from earlier and the speedtest on here funnily enough.

I would`nt trust the test on here either to be honest though as it was showing me on around 9Mb before and after i downloaded that iso earlier on.
Those speedtests are probably about as reliable as having a guess.

Ramrod
04-07-2007, 20:46
Our Modems connection completely died over the weekend and didn`t come back on till 5 minutes before the engineer tapped the door on Monday morning:rolleyes:Now thats interesting. My 120 died on Saturday night. Nothing I could do (or tech support in India could get me to do again :dozey: ) would get it to work. Twenty minutes later it started working again on it's own :disturbd:
I'm still keeping the engineer visit thats booked for next week; I'm going to lock him in a room till he gives me a decent sacm :D

slef2003
04-07-2007, 22:37
Now thats interesting. My 120 died on Saturday night. Nothing I could do (or tech support in India could get me to do again :dozey: ) would get it to work. Twenty minutes later it started working again on it's own :disturbd:
I'm still keeping the engineer visit thats booked for next week; I'm going to lock him in a room till he gives me a decent sacm :D

Similar position top myself!! faultless service for 4.5 years apart from 2-3 short term outages and in the last week I must have had 25!! Since I spoke with tech support the blighter has been behaving! it is almost as if it has a personality and knows it is due to go the knackers yard ;) On more than one occasion i have not been able to get into the config page!!

I will defo be offering the virgin man a coffee when he come round, though being the last call on a sat pm I cannot really see him wanting to pass the time of day:) i also have a 120

xpod
04-07-2007, 23:13
Now thats interesting. My 120 died on Saturday night. Nothing I could do (or tech support in India could get me to do again ) would get it to work. Twenty minutes later it started working again on it's own
I'm still keeping the engineer visit thats booked for next week; I'm going to lock him in a room till he gives me a decent sacm

When i eventually realised it was`nt MY hardware/software i could only assume it was the modem that was borked as neighbours 10(20?)Mb connections were fine
plus we have a stb connection that still worked and although i know thats a different frequency(or whatever) it still left me thinking it had to be the modem.

I did have the modem power light but rarely any others & no access to the modem logs most of the time.The twice i did get to see them the main parts all had N/A next to them.
Of course Sods Law had it working again literally 5 minutes before he tapped the door on Monday morning.I just switched the thing on that morning and it was all fine again.

I mentioned all the hullaballoo about this particular line of modems just now & showed him the 9Mb speed i had at the time but his only real response was that speeds were not his concern and i`d need to speak to support about a new modem, if i really wanted one.:rolleyes:

That seemed a bit strange but i never really pushed it.I`m quite happy with my overall package just now so i`ll bide my time.

slef2003
15-07-2007, 01:35
well the engineer arrived in the time slot, was seemingly pretty clued up and although he had a nice new modem sitting in his bag he went to the cabinet and reconnected me reducing my Upstream Transmit Power Level to 43.00 dBmv where as it had been nearly 60. No disconnections since but speed still variable would be generous to VM !!