PDA

View Full Version : Job Interview Tomorrow

Graham M
04-07-2007, 16:28
Hi all! I have a job interview tomorrow morning at 10am with a local IT Solutions company working as a 1st Line Helpdesk Analyst, I'm fairly confident but can anyone give me some pointers as this is my first ever proper interview and I REALLY want the job!!!

Cheers
Zeph

MovedGoalPosts
04-07-2007, 16:34
Be yourself and try to relax.

Think before you speak.

Have some idea of what exactly the company does, how long it's been running, what it's customer base is, etc so you can answer questions in a way that shows how you can fit the job.

Acathla
04-07-2007, 16:37
Take a wad of notes incase it doesn't seem to be going so well... ;)

Ask Questions
Seem Interested
Don't undersell Yourself
Be Confident
DONT Be Cocky!

and what Rob said!

Jules
04-07-2007, 16:44
And good luck :tu:

lauzjp
04-07-2007, 17:04
And good luck :tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
04-07-2007, 17:15
Do some research on who owns the company

skyblueheroes
04-07-2007, 17:38
Hope it goes alright.

budwieser
04-07-2007, 18:59
Hi all! I have a job interview tomorrow morning at 10am with a local IT Solutions company working as a 1st Line Helpdesk Analyst, I'm fairly confident but can anyone give me some pointers as this is my first ever proper interview and I REALLY want the job!!!

Cheers
Zeph

Bribe them or offer them the deeds to your soul. :disturbd:
Whatever you do though, Good Luck.:tu:

cookie_365
04-07-2007, 20:28
Look in the job description and identify the key behaviours that describe what the successful candidate will do in the role.

Examples: communicating, helping, decision making, taking responsibility

Then come up with an example or two for each one showing how you've demonstrated those behaviours yourself - ideally in work, but if not through outside interests - and as recently as possible.

The interviewers want someone who can do the job. So they want someone who can do all the things that the job involves. And you can do those things because you've demonstrated that you've done them before. So they'd be stupid not to give you the job :)

Good luck :tu:

Just noticed: taxi dispatcher at the moment. So you're comfortable dealing with the public; you're used to dealing with 'difficult' clients, persuading a 2nd line techie to prioritise a call isn't going to be that much different from persuading a cabbie to go to a pick up at Chavtastic Discotheque & Kebab Bar, and so on.

Hugh
04-07-2007, 20:28
Dress appropriately, which for an interview usually means suit (if you have one, otherwise smart trousers), work shirt and tie (and shiny shoes help).

Don't forget to shave and brush your hair and teeth (I may stating the obvious, but just in case).

Graham M
04-07-2007, 22:09
Just noticed: taxi dispatcher at the moment. So you're comfortable dealing with the public; you're used to dealing with 'difficult' clients, persuading a 2nd line techie to prioritise a call isn't going to be that much different from persuading a cabbie to go to a pick up at Chavtastic Discotheque & Kebab Bar, and so on.

My thoughts too :D

Reps for all, some great comments so far!

DocDutch
04-07-2007, 22:35
Zeph, do alot of pre-research about the company what they do whom they support etc etc.

main point is be yourself and that cant be mentioned too often.

1 key issue that you have to do is when the interviewer is speaking to you look at them and not away. eye contact is really important.

most of all GOOD LUCK MATE :)

cookie_365
04-07-2007, 23:45
Oh, and now it's quarter to 11 - go to bed :)

Last minute 'revision' will just stress you out and you won't be effective if you're stressed ;)

homealone
05-07-2007, 00:07

Last minute 'revision' will just stress you out and you won't be effective if you're stressed ;)

and when will you take your own advice, cookie ;)

still mean good luck to Zeph :)

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:02 ----------

and when will you take your own advice, cookie ;)

still mean good luck to Zeph :)

AntiSilence
05-07-2007, 00:10
1st Line Helpdesk Analyst

I don't mean to sound daft, but what's one of those do then?

But good luck with it, hope it goes well for you :tu:

joglynne
05-07-2007, 09:07
Zeph, just in case you look at the tread before you go, I'm adding my very best wishes that the interview goes well. I know you will feel nervous but try to take a deep breath before answering each question as it will help you stay focused.

Ramrod
05-07-2007, 09:38
Good luck m8! :)

Graham M
05-07-2007, 12:15
Phew! Well interview's done and he seemed quite impressed so let's see what happens!

Cheers all, will keep you posted :)

DocDutch
05-07-2007, 12:19
hope it goes your way Zeph :)

if the company calls you within 24 hours then you are in a good position if longer then it might be that they keep their options open for different people.

Halcyon
05-07-2007, 12:59
Good luck Zeph. Hope it goes well. :tu:

ikthius
05-07-2007, 18:58
hope you get it zeph

ik

cookie_365
05-07-2007, 19:45
Phew! Well interview's done and he seemed quite impressed so let's see what happens!

Cheers all, will keep you posted :)

Good luck :)

Gareth
05-07-2007, 19:48
Missed this till now, so good luck on getting the job... hope it works out for you :tu:

Nidge
06-07-2007, 06:12
Hope you get it buddy:tu::tu::tu::tu:

Graham M
06-07-2007, 08:40
Well word on the grapevine is that I'm getting a second interview, so that's gotta be positive!

DocDutch
06-07-2007, 08:45
nice 1 mate :)

2nd interview is always possitive, just dont be nervous and be yourself again.

skyblueheroes
06-07-2007, 09:04
Well word on the grapevine is that I'm getting a second interview, so that's gotta be positive!

:tu:

Safeman
06-07-2007, 09:27
Zeph fingers crossed m8 :Sun:

danielf
06-07-2007, 10:09
Good News! Fingers crossed :)

AntiSilence
06-07-2007, 20:38

Nice one :) Hope that one goes well too. A second interview is a good sign :tu:

Graham M
09-07-2007, 16:15
Well i got the phone call just now, they want me back for a second interview!

TheDaddy
09-07-2007, 16:17
Well done :tu:

Hugh
09-07-2007, 16:21
Excellent - well done, Zeph.

May I suggest you ask them is there any preparation they would like you to do for the second interview; if there isn't, you have looked "keen"; if there is, you have shown initiative.

Ramrod
09-07-2007, 16:25
:tu: :)

danielf
09-07-2007, 16:26
Good news! Well done :)

Halcyon
09-07-2007, 17:48
That is great and a good sign that they are interested in you. :tu:

Gareth
09-07-2007, 17:58
Congrats - definitely a good sign, Zeph :tu:

Graham M
09-07-2007, 18:01
Question, would now be a good time to notify my current employment or should I leave it until I know for sure?

Charlie_Bubble
09-07-2007, 18:03
Question, would now be a good time to notify my current employment or should I leave it until I know for sure?

Leave it until you have an offer letter in your hand or have signed a contract. If something fell through you would have shot yourself in the foot in respect of your current employers if you told them you were leaving and then didn't.

Hugh
09-07-2007, 18:05
Zeph, wait until you have a written offer; until then, anything can happen (budget cuts, new boss, etc etc).

Until it's written down, it's not real. ;)

AdamD
09-07-2007, 18:08
Best of luck to ya Zeph

Cobbydaler
09-07-2007, 18:31
Zeph, wait until you have a written offer; until then, anything can happen (budget cuts, new boss, etc etc).

Until it's written down, it's not real. ;)

Sound advice...

I was once practically told I had the job after an interview. When I enquired after not hearing anything for a fortnight, I was told that due to budget cuts the job no longer existed!

Good luck with the second interview... :tu:

Central
10-07-2007, 23:19

Congrats fella.

homealone
11-07-2007, 00:15
good luck for the 2nd interview, Zeph :tu:

Wicked_and_Crazy
11-07-2007, 00:20

Have you used your current employer as a reference? if so chances are they are about to find out anyway. Most companies follow up references if they invite you for a second interview.

Graham M
18-07-2007, 10:35
Well, I've just received a letter saying that they have changed their mind about filling the vacancy at this moment in time but will keep my application on file if this changes in the near future as I was a good candidate. I mean, why advertise for a job and string along interviewees and then change your mind about the whole thing!?

dilli-theclaw
18-07-2007, 10:36
That's a cow m8, sorry to hear that.

lauzjp
18-07-2007, 10:46
console yourself with a 'their loss!' pat on the back, something else will come along, and then you can say I'm sorry, I'm no longer available. :p:

Graham M
18-07-2007, 11:00
I'm sorry, I'm no longer available. :p:

Heh yeah that would be nice except for the fact that I really want that job! Maybe I'll give it a month or so before I start looking again.

joglynne
18-07-2007, 11:07
Sorry to hear the jobs fallen through Zeph. https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/09/15.gif

The trick is to take what you've learned from this and move on. Next time you will find that you feel more comfortable with the interview process and will know better how to prepare yourself.

Don't stop looking, the job you want could be in to-days paper, waiting fora month or so before I start looking again.
could be your worst move. I hope you will find the job you want soon.

Halcyon
18-07-2007, 11:38
That is really not on Zeph.
Imagine if you had given up a job or were relying on this job, it is absolutely not fair !
I would write to them and complain as that is way out of line !

Damien
18-07-2007, 11:55
Imagine if you had given up a job or were relying on this job, it is absolutely not fair !

I wouldn't, they were out of order but there is not much to be gained from following it up. I would get back into the swing on interviewing soon though just because you will be better at it if you have done it recently. :tu:

Jules
18-07-2007, 13:19
Sorry to hear about that Zeph :(

sssshhhh
18-07-2007, 13:40
Sorry to hear that, happened to me a few years back. But at least you know you did well at the interview and you have the confidence to wow your next prospective employees at the next one. Keep trying mate, you'll get there.

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-07-2007, 14:15

Why would you give up a job and rely on sonething you didnt know you were going to get :rolleyes:

Zeph, take it as valuable practice, hopefully something even better will come along and now your more practiced and brushed up on the interview process.

Gareth
18-07-2007, 14:36
I agree - don't write whining that it's not fair... their response will be that life ain't fair, so get over it. There could be a valid reason why the job fell through, and moaning at them for being "unfair" wouldn't do your case any good whatsoever. Don't burn your bridges, as they say.

If you do feel compelled to contact them, then thank them for having the courtesy of letting you know the situation, and explain that you are disappointed as you were extremely interested by the company, the position they had advertised, the opportunities it would have given you, the people you met, etc... and that you hope that they will contact you again should the circumstances change.

As others have said, use this as valuable experience and think about what you did well in these interviews that you can do in future ones. Also, try to think what questions they asked you that you didn't answer as well as you could have done, so you can prepare a better answer for the next time.

You must have done something right to have gotten as far as you did, so make sure you recognise what it was that worked well, and keep doing that in the future.

Next step... buy the local rag and start browsing the job websites. There are jobs out there, if you're looking for them. Don't lose the impetus you had up until you received that letter. Stay motivated and keep hunting. Good luck :)

joglynne
18-07-2007, 18:54
What Gareth has said is true, his advice about writing to the firm could pay dividends in the future. If you do feel compelled to contact them, then thank them for having the courtesy of letting you know the situation, and explain that you are disappointed as you were extremely interested by the company, the position they had advertised, the opportunities it would have given you, the people you met, etc... and that you hope that they will contact you again should the circumstances change.Circumstances within firms can change overnight sometimes for the better. Never ever burn bridges.

Maggy
18-07-2007, 19:57
Well, I've just received a letter saying that they have changed their mind about filling the vacancy at this moment in time but will keep my application on file if this changes in the near future as I was a good candidate. I mean, why advertise for a job and string along interviewees and then change your mind about the whole thing!?

Possibly the present incumbent has changed their mind/been persuaded to stay.;)

I wouldn't read anything into it or you will drive yourself crazy AND undermine your self confidence.:D :tu:

cookie_365
18-07-2007, 21:15
It can't hurt to give the interviewer a ring and have a friendly chat about it - say you were really disappointed because it seemed such a great place to work and so on.

You never know, they might just have something else they can push your way

Graham M
18-07-2007, 21:20
I sent a letter to the HR department so they can pass it on if need be basically asking if the position was likely to become available in the next month or so and also stating that I am very keen to join the company, etc. let's see if I hear anything back.

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:19 ----------

Possibly the present incumbent has changed their mind/been persuaded to stay.;)

I wouldn't read anything into it or you will drive yourself crazy AND undermine your self confidence.:D :tu:

The present incumbent has been promoted, currently they have no first liner :)

Gareth
18-07-2007, 23:57
<pedantic> Can you have anything other than a present incumbent? If you're an incumbent you're, by definition, presently performing a certain role. If you're not presently doing it, you're no longer the incumbent </pedantic>

Maggy
19-07-2007, 00:16
<pedantic> Can you have anything other than a present incumbent? If you're an incumbent you're, by definition, presently performing a certain role. If you're not presently doing it, you're no longer the incumbent </pedantic>

Dunno..never thought that deeply about the word.:shrug:

Gareth
19-07-2007, 00:47
Me neither, until you said it :p:

Just been cleaning the bathroom, though, and it took my mind off what I was doing... you can have a previous incumbent so maybe you can have a present incumbent too..?