PDA

View Full Version : Moving Broadband Connection

shadow_scoob
04-07-2007, 12:55
I intend to move my office to a different room and want to re-locate the Broadband connection. What would be the problems/pitfalls if I cut the cable that goes to the little white Telewest box on the wall and place f connectors on the two ends and then insert the relevant length of cable with f connectors and back to back connectors in between?

All help greatly appreciated.

Steve

Paul K
04-07-2007, 12:58
Signal levels could get screwed up or you could actually put noise back into the network which would then incur a financial penalty from VM.

shadow_scoob
04-07-2007, 13:21
Hmm. So what are my options?

Steve

Paul K
04-07-2007, 14:15
Wireless router ;)

Mike1901
04-07-2007, 14:17
Wireless router ;)

Agreed - also has the advantage of you being able to use the connection anywhere in the average-sized house :) - most modern laptops have wireless capabilities.

Druchii
04-07-2007, 14:21
Longer Ethernet cable?

shadow_scoob
04-07-2007, 23:13
Weeelll... the new location is a log cabin in the garden. Wireless connection has a noticeable data throughput drop (I already have a Linksys WRT54g on the network) and I don't want to take a standard cat 5 lan cable outside without some kind of cover. I could run it inside some trunking of some description but ateotd to have the current external cable running to the log cabin would be ideal.

Is the extension idea really that fraught with problems?

Steve

TraxData
04-07-2007, 23:16
Signal levels could get screwed up or you could actually put noise back into the network which would then incur a financial penalty from VM.

Never happened to me, or anyone else i know for that matter, unless you are seriously on the dim side, it should be a doddle/walk in the park.

piggy
05-07-2007, 07:49
Never happened to me, or anyone else i know for that matter, unless you are seriously on the dim side, it should be a doddle/walk in the park.

:tu: agreed

Dark Fiber
05-07-2007, 09:59
I would consider "Powerline" ethernet-over-mains for a garden shed. No (extra) cable needed.

smiffing
05-07-2007, 10:04
Weeelll... the new location is a log cabin in the garden. Wireless connection has a noticeable data throughput drop (I already have a Linksys WRT54g on the network) and I don't want to take a standard cat 5 lan cable outside without some kind of cover. I could run it inside some trunking of some description but ateotd to have the current external cable running to the log cabin would be ideal.

Is the extension idea really that fraught with problems?

Steve

Silicone based ethernet cable is available, this tends to not be porous, we had to install this at some stations where the network ran in pipes under the platforms and was always wet.