PDA

View Full Version : Eyelid Twitch

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 11:56
Right - for the last week or two I've had a twitchy eyelid!

From having a look on self-diagnosis (aka the internet) I believe it's called a blepharospasm.

It's now becoming annoying...I can't see that I have an eyelash in there and the eye is not red.

The site says:

Eyelid twitching usually disappears without treatment. In the meantime, the following steps may help:
Get more sleep. - I sleep well!
Drink less caffeine. - I have an occasional tea - don't drink coffee.
Lubricate your eyes with eye drops. - Done that but only in the last day or two.Any ideas on what I can do next? :confused:

joglynne
04-07-2007, 12:21
How about auditioning for the part of Chief Inspector Drefus in the Pink Panther remake, you could be a natural.:D

Sorry. Just couldn't resist.

Seriously your twitching eyelid must be really irritating having lasted for this long. I have had it but it's usually been a result of too much caffeine and not enough sleep when I'm up against a deadline. The only thing I can suggest is a head massage which may just relax the involuntary spasms causing the twitch.

Hope it stops soon.

Damien
04-07-2007, 12:27
Stress? Nerves? Relax more and try not to think about it as much. If you think about your eye lid twitching and worry about it, it could well increase.

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 12:35
Stress? Nerves? Relax more and try not to think about it as much. If you think about your eye lid twitching and worry about it, it could well increase.

I'M NOT STRESSED OK!!!

:D

Had a few late nights recently but also been sleeping 7+ hours per night so don't think it's sleep related.

Perhaps my holiday next week will cure it!

etccarmageddon
04-07-2007, 12:35
dont worry mate - I've had it a few times in the past - it's stress related and/or lack of sleep. but you dont always get one if you're stressed. you could have ended up with a sty.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sty/page2_em.htm

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 12:45
dont worry mate - I've had it a few times in the past - it's stress related and/or lack of sleep. but you dont always get one if you're stressed. you could have ended up with a sty.

http://www.emedicinehealth.com/sty/page2_em.htm

Funny you say that - it does feel like there is something there - and pulling the eyelid down I can see a tiny white dot - it dosn't even deserve to be called a spot!

Going to see if there's anything I get for it later...

One other thing - it's not weeping but the eye does feel "thick" if you get what I mean...

Xaccers
04-07-2007, 12:47
I had it last week, after 40 hours without sleep (due to the twitch, and the immense pain Faulty was in from her lymph nodes being up) I passed out and when I woke (5 hours later) it was gone.

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 12:51
Perhaps it's to do with all the s***te weather we've been having!

superbiatch
04-07-2007, 12:54
You could have something there with the weather - only last friday i was at the hospital having my eye rinsed out as i thought i had glass/dust in it. As it happens i have a sty underneath my eyelid in a very hard to see place (whether it was caused by dust etc i'm not sure :confused:)

alferret
04-07-2007, 13:05
I have suffered from this too, although when it happens to me it only last's from a few minutes to around 10mins at the most. I become quite self conscious of it when it happens, just grateful I'm not looking or talking to anyone at the time, would want it confused with flirting lol.

I also get involuntary twitching in my right thumb from time to time to.

superbiatch
04-07-2007, 13:24
I have suffered from this too, although when it happens to me it only last's from a few minutes to around 10mins at the most. I become quite self conscious of it when it happens, just grateful I'm not looking or talking to anyone at the time, would want it confused with flirting lol.

Apparently its very hard for other people to notice - its just we are aware of it :(

Jules
04-07-2007, 13:25
I had the same problem under my eye every time some one said the words "driving test" once I had passed it disappeared lol

Having said that my eyelid has always tended to twitch a little if I am really tired or stressed

Ramrod
04-07-2007, 13:44
Two really common causes are caffeine withdrawal and stress......but you knew that already :D

Jules
04-07-2007, 14:00
I am sure I read something about this online yesterday and in the article it said drinking coffee helped, can't find the article anywhere though :(

lauzjp
04-07-2007, 14:06
I have had it a few times, especially lately - probably due to coke being on buy one get one free, and my wedding being less than 7 weeks away and I haven't picked a dress yet!?

eeny, meeny... https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/45.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/46.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/47.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/48.jpg - if I really want to go the whole hog, though it is only a registry office do! ;)

ps - if you don't think about the twitch, it will stop. find things to distract yourself from thinking about it, but if it really worries you then get it checked out.

Jules
04-07-2007, 14:08
I love the first one, sure to make a few eyes twitch with envy.

Maybe you should start a thread then we can all have a say :D

lauzjp
04-07-2007, 14:52
like most things in life, it depends on the pennies Jules! ;) I shall resist starting a thread, as it would be asking for trouble :rolleyes:

sorry OP btw!

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 16:33
I have had it a few times, especially lately - probably due to coke being on buy one get one free...

You druggie!!! :D

Got some Optrex eye wash - hopefully that might help!

etccarmageddon
04-07-2007, 17:50
Funny you say that - it does feel like there is something there - and pulling the eyelid down I can see a tiny white dot - it dosn't even deserve to be called a spot!.it is a tiny lump on the eyelid which you can see if you shut the eye? if so I've got one of those and had it for at least 10 years.

a sty if you have one you will know about - it's an infected area and not tiny from my experience.

a twitch is seperate and more like a 'nervous twitch' thing - one that will annoy the hell out of you as you try to control it. from my experience you cant make it stop by mind control - the only way is to rest and destress. a bit of hanky panky is recommended. :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
04-07-2007, 17:56

Do you find people stop to give you a lift? :D

budwieser
04-07-2007, 17:58
Right - for the last week or two I've had a twitchy eyelid!

From having a look on self-diagnosis (aka the internet) I believe it's called a blepharospasm.

It's now becoming annoying...I can't see that I have an eyelash in there and the eye is not red.

The site says:

Eyelid twitching usually disappears without treatment. In the meantime, the following steps may help:

Get more sleep. - I sleep well!
Drink less caffeine. - I have an occasional tea - don't drink coffee.
Lubricate your eyes with eye drops. - Done that but only in the last day or two.Any ideas on what I can do next? :confused:

" Right - for the last week or two I've had a twitchy eyelid!"
Just watch who you look at , they might think you`re winking at them and you`ll get a kicking! lol.:D

TheBlueRaja
04-07-2007, 18:02
I have had it a few times, especially lately - probably due to coke being on buy one get one free, and my wedding being less than 7 weeks away and I haven't picked a dress yet!?

eeny, meeny... https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/45.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/46.jpg https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/47.jpg
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2007/07/48.jpg - if I really want to go the whole hog, though it is only a registry office do! ;)

ps - if you don't think about the twitch, it will stop. find things to distract yourself from thinking about it, but if it really worries you then get it checked out.

Not going for white eh! ;)

Alanmelon
04-07-2007, 19:29
Funny you say that - it does feel like there is something there - and pulling the eyelid down I can see a tiny white dot - it dosn't even deserve to be called a spot!

Going to see if there's anything I get for it later...

One other thing - it's not weeping but the eye does feel "thick" if you get what I mean...

That white dot sounds like something called a concretion. That basically happens when the small glands along the edge of the eyelid work less effectively, for various reasons, often due to blockages. You can try to help with this by regular eyelid cleaning - add a little baby shampoo to some cooled boiled water, then using a cotton bud, run it along the eyelid margin just behind the eyelashes, on both lids. Probably worth doing a couple of times a day to keep all the glands free of debris.

Salu
04-07-2007, 20:51
That white dot sounds like something called a concretion. That basically happens when the small glands along the edge of the eyelid work less effectively, for various reasons, often due to blockages. You can try to help with this by regular eyelid cleaning - add a little baby shampoo to some cooled boiled water, then using a cotton bud, run it along the eyelid margin just behind the eyelashes, on both lids. Probably worth doing a couple of times a day to keep all the glands free of debris.

I think this is good advice. It's not easy to tell without seeing etc....but the white spot is possibly a blocked meibomium gland. These glands are involved in the process of maintaining your tear film. When they get blocked it can lead to blepharospasm but this can be caused by the other things people have mentioned too. Another thing you can do to help ease this blocking is to get a hot flannel (or a hot water bottle in a towel) and rest it on your closed eyes for 5 mins each day to help soften the congealed lipids in the glands. Then gently press the closed eyelid downwards to help squeeze out the blockage.

Do you get dry itchy eyes or watery eyes at all?

Having said that, it's easy to jump to conclusions without actually seeing your eyes. It could just simply be too much PC work and late nights etc.... :)

LSainsbury
04-07-2007, 21:01
I think this is good advice. It's not easy to tell without seeing etc....but the white spot is possibly a blocked meibomium gland. These glands are involved in the process of maintaining your tear film. When they get blocked it can lead to blepharospasm but this can be caused by the other things people have mentioned too. Another thing you can do to help ease this blocking is to get a hot flannel (or a hot water bottle in a towel) and rest it on your closed eyes for 5 mins each day to help soften the congealed lipids in the glands. Then gently press the closed eyelid downwards to help squeeze out the blockage.

Do you get dry itchy eyes or watery eyes at all?

Having said that, it's easy to jump to conclusions without actually seeing your eyes. It could just simply be too much PC work and late nights etc.... :)

Ahh - the doc is still around - good good!

Cool - I'll try the above.

Yes - got dry / itchy eyes right now.

As I said - had a couple of late-ish nights recently but they have been followed by decent nights sleep.

I've had round one with the Optrex and the twitch hasn't appeared for a few hours. Mind you - I have been cooking dinner, ironing etc so that may have taken my mind off it...

Will let you know how it goes!

Alien
05-07-2007, 18:14
I had it last week, after 40 hours without sleep (due to the twitch, and the immense pain Faulty was in from her lymph nodes being up) I passed out and when I woke (5 hours later) it was gone.
I was watching something the other day & Lymph nodes were mentioned, & not knowing what they were I decided to do a little research, which eventually led me to this: linkage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_lymphatic_drainage)
It sounds interesting, & might be worth looking into, especially if Faulty's suffering that much. There's a site here (http://www.mlduk.org.uk/) that you might find useful if you do decide to investigate further.

I love the first one, sure to make a few eyes twitch with envy.
I don't really have an opinion on the dresses, but the birds in them... :naughty:

it is a tiny lump on the eyelid which you can see if you shut the eye? if so I've got one of those and had it for at least 10 years.
I get them from time to time, but I don't leave them there, I get rid of them. I'm not saying how though, as someone could potentially do themselves a serious injury & I don't want to get blamed for someone trying to copy what I do & getting it wrong. :)

a twitch is seperate and more like a 'nervous twitch' thing - one that will annoy the hell out of you as you try to control it. from my experience you cant make it stop by mind control - the only way is to rest and destress.
I get twitches in various places occasionally, though my eyelid is the most common location. I've found just giving the part of the eyelid that's twitching a bit of a pinch usually sorts it.

I've had round one with the Optrex and the twitch hasn't appeared for a few hours.
I've not tried Optrex, but for tired/stingy/sore eyes I've found Vital Eyes is pretty good.

Enuff
05-07-2007, 18:25
Chop it off. :tu:

Ramrod
05-07-2007, 18:53
I was watching something the other day & Lymph nodes were mentioned, & not knowing what they were I decided to do a little research, which eventually led me to this: linkage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_lymphatic_drainage)I have manual lymph drainage every couple of months in order to keep my sinuses relatively clear. Works really well :tu:

Alien
07-07-2007, 19:55
I have manual lymph drainage every couple of months in order to keep my sinuses relatively clear. Works really well :tu:
Is MLD an all-over thing, or is it like other forms of therapy where the practitioner examines the patient & then just focuses on any problems they find?

LSainsbury
06-08-2011, 09:31
...and 4 years later - it's back again! lol! Arrrghhhh!!

Chris
06-08-2011, 11:59
Time to go back to bed then ... ;)