PDA

View Full Version : [v Urgent] Dns Help Please!

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 22:09
I am in HA0, and my VM connection is DEAD. Similar thing happened a few nights back, where the connection died, and came back to life in the morning!

I am currently leeching off my neighbour's WIFI, [-my cuz, so i have the Key], but his internet is with VM too, and its working!

Anyway, the main thing is, in msn messenger, the diagnostic thingy said there is a problem with the DNS servers. Now my DNS servers are automatically assigned. Is it possible for someone to tell me DNS server IP's, so that hopefully my internet comes back to life:rolleyes:

I aint calling 25p/min line to reboot my comp and modem, since I ALREADY DID THAT!!!

HELP! PLZ:(

Stuart
03-07-2007, 22:15
If his connection is with VM, just use the DNS settings from that? :confused:

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 22:19
If his connection is with VM, just use the DNS settings from that? :confused:

His one is on automatic too!:dunce:

Stuart
03-07-2007, 22:21
In the run dialog, type "cmd" and press enter. Now, type ipconfig /all and read off the DNS settings from that.

Although, TBH, if you haven't been assigned a DNS server automatically, there is another problem with your connection and/or account.

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 22:32
In the run dialog, type "cmd" and press enter. Now, type ipconfig /all and read off the DNS settings from that.

Although, TBH, if you haven't been assigned a DNS server automatically, there is another problem with your connection and/or account.

Still didnt work:erm:

AAAAARGH, honestly... broadband service first improved [from getting rubbish speeds at night, it was good speeds]. But now this new thing. NO CONNECTION! Hope this doesnt become a common occurence!

I am dreading that call to TS tomoz! Lets hope it starts working again:rolleyes:

PS, thanks for trying to help :D

nyawton
03-07-2007, 22:37
also instead of always re-booting pc to see if you have been assigned DnS server each time use commands

iPconfig /release (this releases all ip settings)
then
Ipconfig /renew (renews all settings)
then as mentioned above
Ipconfig /all (shows settings including dns servers)

Hope this is on right track. Also might b worth checking that no Ip restriction rules have been applied on the access point?

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 22:43
also instead of always re-booting pc to see if you have been assigned DnS server each time use commands

iPconfig /release (this releases all ip settings)
then
Ipconfig /renew (renews all settings)
then as mentioned above
Ipconfig /all (shows settings including dns servers)

Hope this is on right track. Also might b worth checking that no Ip restriction rules have been applied on the access point?

ok doing that...

I dunno if this helps, but in my routers config page, the ip address and everything is just 0.0.0.0:(

fatassmichael
03-07-2007, 22:47
Have you tried pluging the pc into the modem directly?

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 22:59
Have you tried pluging the pc into the modem directly?

ok, did that and getting ACQUIRING NETWORK ADDRESS... but it doesnt acquire anything!!!:mad:

:(

edit: this was on the laptop and the computer! Both giving same msg!!!

fatassmichael
03-07-2007, 23:06
if you cant obtain a valid ip address when connected directly to the modem, AFAIK it's most likely not a DNS problem, maybe a VM DHCP problem, faulty modem? have you power cycled the modem and the PC after connecting just to the modem?

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 23:17
if you cant obtain a valid ip address when connected directly to the modem, AFAIK it's most likely not a DNS problem, maybe a VM DHCP problem, faulty modem? have you power cycled the modem and the PC after connecting just to the modem?

yes!

will try again in the morning:o:

Paul
03-07-2007, 23:22
Messenger probably complained like that because your connection is completely dead - therefore it wouldn't be able to contact any dns servers.

dcclanuk
03-07-2007, 23:34
Messenger probably complained like that because your connection is completely dead - therefore it wouldn't be able to contact any dns servers.

I see, so what could I try before phoning support? What could be wrong apart from a DEAD modem? Its about 1.5 years old, BLUE NTL: 250 one:erm:

Also, is it true that they refund the cost of the call if it is not YOUR FAULT? Or was that just said to make us feel the charge is justified?

mik
04-07-2007, 07:50
I assume you've also rebooted your router, as that will get the VM IP from the modem. If it is saying 0.0.0.0, then the router is still awaiting automatic config from VM's DHCP service.
Failing that, take the router out of the loop and try directly into the modem and see if ipconfig /renew picks anything up other than 0.0.0.0 or 169.254.x.x

dcclanuk
04-07-2007, 09:16
Well, I wake up and the internet is working again?

What can be wrong???

Twice now the internet conks out at night, and starts working in the morning...:(

nyawton
04-07-2007, 10:20
Well, I wake up and the internet is working again?

What can be wrong???

Twice now the internet conks out at night, and starts working in the morning...:(

Any Chance Ur Cuz might be Switching the Access Point off? Dont mean to sound funny but its a possibility?

dcclanuk
04-07-2007, 10:54
Any Chance Ur Cuz might be Switching the Access Point off? Dont mean to sound funny but its a possibility?

nono... I was only using his internet to try and get help on Cableforum yday.

I have my own internet lol...[from VM]

dcclanuk
04-07-2007, 22:12
Again tonite, my internet DIED at 9pm... dunno what is happening? Any ideas?

Why at night? not a particular time, but NIGHT TIME???

Weird and DAMN annoying... could it be time for ADSL:confused:

[No arguments about distance to exchange plz- doesnt affect me]

I would LIKE to stick with VM if this can be fixed:( But its such a WEIRD prob?

Stuart
04-07-2007, 22:17
Have you contacted VM?

dcclanuk
04-07-2007, 22:18
Have you contacted VM?

i will do friday morning if the same thing happens tomorrow night...

Its not like a NORMAL problem!

hence if any engineers on this board have seen such a thing...?

Otherwise its that dreaded call:(

Richy99
05-07-2007, 09:35
tried forcing different dns to see if it is a dns issue?

Stuart
05-07-2007, 09:45
tried forcing different dns to see if it is a dns issue?

If it were just a DNS issue, he would still be assigned an IP. He is not getting an IP (see below). Therefore, I would suggest that there is a problem with either his account, or the connection. Either way, VM need to look at it.

ok, did that and getting ACQUIRING NETWORK ADDRESS... but it doesnt acquire anything!!!:mad: