PDA

View Full Version : Urgent help - new BB customer doesnt need installing??

Exulus
03-07-2007, 17:34
Hi guys,

Im typing from a net cafe. Please replay asap. We have moved into a new house and there is a cable modem already there from the previous tennants, it even gives us a viable internet ip address, we can ping any site we wish however it wont allow us to actually visit the site as the DNS server seems to be internal (194.something?). 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know a way of getting this to work in the meantime?

2) The lady on the phone says even though everything is physically there we still need an engineer to come round to "install" it, i think this is a load of crap! Surely they can just activate it from their end?! Could i phone up and complain? I really need the net access this week. I dont see why i need an engineer to come round and go "yep, its all there already" and have to pay for him to do so.

Please help asap as i have to go soon! Thanks. (this is a repost from the DS forum but i hope you get the jist :D).

MovedGoalPosts
03-07-2007, 18:06
VM are not going to reactivate a modem without your having been subscribed to it. Normally that does involve a site visit as you would get a new modem, not an old one (that you might not even know if it was properly connected)

Paul K
03-07-2007, 18:57
Maybe they need to know that it is a legitimate modem that is going to be in use and not something that someone has "attained".

Pedro1
03-07-2007, 20:26
Better off getting them out to make sure all is fine. You will get a new modem and as you will be a new customer i don't think you will have to pay for an install unless they have already told you they are going to charge you.

morph178
04-07-2007, 17:11
Hi guys,

Im typing from a net cafe. Please replay asap. We have moved into a new house and there is a cable modem already there from the previous tennants, it even gives us a viable internet ip address, we can ping any site we wish however it wont allow us to actually visit the site as the DNS server seems to be internal (194.something?). 2 questions:

1) Does anyone know a way of getting this to work in the meantime?

2) The lady on the phone says even though everything is physically there we still need an engineer to come round to "install" it, i think this is a load of crap! Surely they can just activate it from their end?! Could i phone up and complain? I really need the net access this week. I dont see why i need an engineer to come round and go "yep, its all there already" and have to pay for him to do so.

Please help asap as i have to go soon! Thanks. (this is a repost from the DS forum but i hope you get the jist :D).

You could always go for the quickstart option (if it's available in your area), they post a modem out to you, you hook it up and get it activated.

Exulus
04-07-2007, 18:01
Cheers guys.

Well, it certainly is a legit modem as the old tennants left it here as they were subscribed to VM...dont know why someone didnt come to pick it up though? Then again VM haven't come to pick up our one at our old house yet! (or if ever). No idea about quickstart but i received a letter from VM today with username and PIN. Ah well, living without the internet is not much fun! :(:D

morph178
04-07-2007, 20:46
Cheers guys.

No idea about quickstart but i received a letter from VM today with username and PIN. Ah well, living without the internet is not much fun! :(:D

Have a read at this... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html

Exulus
05-07-2007, 17:08
Have a read at this... http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/help/quickstart.html
Interesting...thanks. I may give VM a call and see if they will allow me to do this.

I have the pin number, username, and serial number. I also know the website i need to go to and it DOES work at home (http://autoreg.autoregister.net ...i've had to do it many times before on NTL) and so i could technically just do it now..but i dont want to bugger anything up just incase :s