PDA

View Full Version : Is ANYONE not throttled 4-12?

BrunoM
03-07-2007, 12:44
Lots and lots of posts from people suffering (same as me) with atrocious, offensive download speeds in the afternoons/evenings. Is there anyone who DOESN'T suffer this sort of drop in service during those periods?
Personally, I have got 17mb+ speeds in the early morning, but - this isn't a lot of use to me.

Would love to hear if anyone is not having the problem, which so far on a quick read seems consistent across everyone...

Sirpingalot
03-07-2007, 12:46
I'm still only on 10mb; I never get throttled (touch wood).

---------- Post added at 12:46 ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 ----------

But then, I don't download much either...

Eric55
03-07-2007, 12:50
I am on 20mb and get throttled every night, speeds drop to a bout 4mb. I have never dowloaded more than 1.5gb a day since I have been on the 20mb service.

BrunoM
03-07-2007, 12:52
My throttling certainly isn't download-related - I come home from work and boot up, to find a 300-700k download speed, 18 hours after the connection was last used.

However it might very well be 20mb-service related...

Sirpingalot
03-07-2007, 12:54
So this is what I can look forward to when my service gets upgraded!

dev
03-07-2007, 13:35
only been throttled when i've gone over the 3gb limit, get slow speeds to the speed test on here/speedtest.net/speedtest.bbmax.co.uk but everything else stays fine, so who cares?

Bonglet
03-07-2007, 13:38
us that are paying for a service and getting nothing care <Edit Rob - deleted>

BrunoM
03-07-2007, 13:41
As per my post above - it's certainly not download limits getting me, I am throttled at those times of the day (and possibly further, not tested much as I work and sleep) even when there's been no connection use at all.

TraxData
03-07-2007, 13:45
Welcome to the club, load's of people are getting this problem, VM know about it, and they really dont care.

They dont care about the dumb 3gb limit imposed either, which you can use up in just over 20minutes, screwing you for the next 4 hours, then another 20minutes use before your screwed again.

That isnt 20mbit in my eyes.

dev
03-07-2007, 13:45
us that are paying for a service and getting nothing care <Edit Rob - deleted>

i meant for mine, and for those people who take the speedtest sites as the defining speed for your connection

qtwoer
03-07-2007, 14:07
Throttling is bad enough but in conjunction with the unacceptable packet loss:mad: For gaming I could cope with 128k connection with no packet loss but no chance between 4 and 12.30:no:

Horace
03-07-2007, 14:11
Is ANYONE not throttled 4-12?
Anyone who doesn't go over their threshold and triggering STM. Assuming STM is working as it should. There's plenty of posts on this board and information on the web explaining how the system works.

Bill C
03-07-2007, 14:21
So this is what I can look forward to when my service gets upgraded!

If you reboot you will have the 20 meg.

BrunoM
03-07-2007, 14:25
Horace, please do read my original and follow-up posts - I have the apparent throttling even when the connection hasn't been used for up to 18 hours previously - when there's absolutely no way I've broken the download limits (and in fact I am 99% certain I've never exceeded the limits, downloading things isn't really something I'm interested in).

I am not the only one suffering like this, either.

Horace, you are on a 20mb conn and can get a close-to-20mb service between 4-12? That would be interesting in itself.

Bonglet
03-07-2007, 14:33
If it is stm its broke and has been since they installed it sorry if im loosing my rag in some posts im just really really fed up paying 43quid a month for a unusable service.
If anyone cares to look on there service status page which is here
http://status-cable.virginmedia.com/vmstatus/summary.do
you have posts closed yesterday from customers in london,gateshead and edinburgh and thats just 3 as example which all have the same reply as to closing them, a faulty transmitter has been replaced ermm forgive me if i am wrong but what are the chances of 3 transmitters blowing on the same day
up and down the country i would give it the same odds as winning 5 numbers on the lottery :(.
as of this morning nothing has changed downloads from blueyonder site at 300k if anyone uses speedtest sites as a true indicator of there line dont use tracerts and ping from the command prompt to gauge your normal day to day access and pure file downloads.
real shame they broke something good and how the hell do countries like latvia,romania and bulgaria get a far superior service than uk the mind boggles atm.
cmon vm please i still dont want to go the bt/sky route but im feeling its getting forced on me people probably wouldnt feel so miffed if there was a date for these problems fixed last tech i spoke to on the phone said they were aware of issues but untill someone put there hand in there pocket to upgrade everywhere things would stay the same i hope this isnt true :(.

sprattgraham
03-07-2007, 14:46
I'm not and on 20mbit and downloaded the file below 5 times after 4pm and still got 2MB/Sec

http://gamefiles.virginmedia.com/blueyondergames/games/cellfactorrevolution_install.exe

Horace
03-07-2007, 16:13
Horace, please do read my original and follow-up posts - I have the apparent throttling even when the connection hasn't been used for up to 18 hours previously - when there's absolutely no way I've broken the download limits (and in fact I am 99% certain I've never exceeded the limits, downloading things isn't really something I'm interested in).

I am not the only one suffering like this, either.

Horace, you are on a 20mb conn and can get a close-to-20mb service between 4-12? That would be interesting in itself.

I don't always get full bandwidth downloads at any time but that isn't because of STM, it's because of contention on the network at peak or problems associated with downloading from U.S. locations. I tend to get around 10-20meg whatever time of day. The only time I've been affected by STM is when I expected to be when I've gone over the limits.

STM appears to work here but that doesn't mean there aren't problems with it elsewhere. I don't think "EVERYONE" is experiencing the same problems as you and since you asked if "ANYONE" was not getting throttled between 4pm and 12am I answered you.

I don't have a lot of faith in most users abilities to measure their own usage effectively and learn enough about security to ensure their connections are not being used without their consent. I also don't have a lot of faith in users abilities to troubleshoot the real cause of their download problems.
It's fairly obvious if you're being throttled. A 20meg user will only be able to download at 5meg speeds. If speeds are measurably above or below that and you're accurately measuring bandwidth usage then throttling isn't taking place.

Hugh
03-07-2007, 21:18
On 4Mb in Leeds (ex-NTL), and I've not experienced throttling.

Paul
03-07-2007, 21:56
No throttle here

Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:55:37 UTC

1st 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
2nd 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
3rd 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps
4th 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9644 Kbps, 9.42 Mbps
Still waiting for my 20M though ....

Rik
03-07-2007, 21:59
Only get throttled when i go over the 3GIG limit, its like clockwork here, STM works fab, dead on going over 3gig i get shaped to a perfect 5MB for 4hrs, fine for me.

I download my stuff during the day while at work, 8hrs of leeching at 2.33MB/s suits me fine ;) thats a few Linux Iso's you know! ;)

This is 20MB in my eyes.

TraxData
03-07-2007, 22:44
Only get throttled when i go over the 3GIG limit, its like clockwork here, STM works fab, dead on going over 3gig i get shaped to a perfect 5MB for 4hrs, fine for me.

I download my stuff during the day while at work, 8hrs of leeching at 2.33MB/s suits me fine ;) thats a few Linux Iso's you know! ;)

This is 20MB in my eyes.

Not in my eyes, course then i dont leave the pc on all night and while im at work, for various reasons ;)

havin 20mbit for only 30minutes when i get home from work is not fun :p:

rockabillybass
03-07-2007, 22:49
How many Linux iso's can anybody want ;)

8 hours of leeching per day? You could download every new iso currently available in a couple of days...

I do that of course but I never download illegal torrents...;););):D:shocked: