PDA

View Full Version : non-cabled broadband ?

corpse88
02-07-2007, 15:26
i was going to join VM with there phone and internet but they have told me that they cant supply cable to my house and that they can only cable up to no.6 due to a unknown problem,i said but i have one of those little square boxs right out the front of my house on the path that says catv and dont that mean that it runs right by my house (i know its a stupid question but i know nothing about how it all works lol) and the guy said no but i can pass you on to 'beyond cable' and they can help you,so i talked to a very nice guy there who said they can supply me with internet but it will be not cable.
anyway my question is how good is this service and is it worth getting ? ive had tiscali for about 4 years and the service they give you is really crap and ive just about had enough with them.

Sorry if its long winded lol :D
Thanks !

Aragorn
02-07-2007, 15:56
Have you checked you postcode on the front page of the VM website (http://www.virginmedia.com/) - if you have a CATV duct outside you should be able to get VM, but sometimes they need convincing!
Non-cable internet will basically be ADSL and will be very little different from Tiscali as a service. In terms of customer service attitude, I've never dealt with Tiscali but never had many issues with VM. Others on here may disagree!

corpse88
02-07-2007, 18:33
yea i tryed the postcode checker but that got me to fill in a call back form and no one ever calls back,ive tryed it about 7 times now lol

on the way back from picking up my daughter from school i had another look at the catv square on the floor and noticed that you can see where it was dug up to put the cable down...runs right across the front of my house and all the way to the end of the path.somebody would think they dont want you to buy there services lol

i might try again later...

if that dont work...any one used VM's 'beyond cable' service ?

on in an hour!
02-07-2007, 18:43
yea i tryed the postcode checker but that got me to fill in a call back form and no one ever calls back,ive tryed it about 7 times now lol

on the way back from picking up my daughter from school i had another look at the catv square on the floor and noticed that you can see where it was dug up to put the cable down...runs right across the front of my house and all the way to the end of the path.somebody would think they dont want you to buy there services lol

i might try again later...

if that dont work...any one used VM's 'beyond cable' service ?
sounds like you may be ok for servicing there corpse,if they say its not servicable ask them to book a job for a site survey,a simple rodding of the tee (the square grid) will identify if its possible to cable you up,good luck.;)

corpse88
02-07-2007, 20:05
thanks hour :)

just took a look in the square catv thing,it has a green tube but no wires,still think that sounds ok to get hooked up ? :dunce:

homealone
02-07-2007, 21:34
thanks hour :)

just took a look in the square catv thing,it has a green tube but no wires,still think that sounds ok to get hooked up ? :dunce:

theoretically they just need to pull the cables through from the nearest street cab - however, if all the connections in that are already taken, that may be he problem?

as 'on in an hour' said, you need to try to get a site survey booked, in the first instance :)

corpse88
02-07-2007, 21:46
as 'on in an hour' said, you need to try to get a site survey booked, in the first instance :)

do i just ring the sales line and ask them to do one ? :dunce:

homealone
02-07-2007, 21:59
do i just ring the sales line and ask them to do one ? :dunce:

I haven't tried it, but theoretically, yes :)

corpse88
02-07-2007, 23:22
I haven't tried it, but theoretically, yes :)

lol ok hope they dont ask me any questions :confused: worth a try :D

corpse88
03-07-2007, 10:42
ok called this morning,spoke to a nice man this time, he said that he would go and check why i cant get it when i have a catv thing on the path and he came back and said that its analogue not digital wires down there as only house no.1-6 have digital, i asked about a site survey and he said he would have to ask and came back and said no as they have identifed why i couldnt get it and they had no plans to put digital wire down at this point in time but i could get it through there beyond cable service lol :D

its a shame i was looking foward to having cable but i might get there beyond cable service,im gonna shop around first though...at least VM answered the phone BT havent answered there phone the 6 times ive rang for info lol

still looking for any feedback on VM's non-cable service if anyones has/had it !:disturbd:

King Of Fools
03-07-2007, 10:48
The off-net broadband is what used to be known as virgin.net so you may find some reviews about that if you search for them.

I used to use virgin.net in 1997 when they charged £10 per month for dial-up on a lo-call rate number! :LOL:
They were fine then but I have not used them since.

on in an hour!
04-07-2007, 17:54
ok called this morning,spoke to a nice man this time, he said that he would go and check why i cant get it when i have a catv thing on the path and he came back and said that its analogue not digital wires down there as only house no.1-6 have digital, i asked about a site survey and he said he would have to ask and came back and said no as they have identifed why i couldnt get it and they had no plans to put digital wire down at this point in time but i could get it through there beyond cable service lol :D

its a shame i was looking foward to having cable but i might get there beyond cable service,im gonna shop around first though...at least VM answered the phone BT havent answered there phone the 6 times ive rang for info lol

still looking for any feedback on VM's non-cable service if anyones has/had it !:disturbd:
this is complete twaddle to me,first of all there are no cables 'laid' to any houses until an order is raised at point of sale and a crew then turn up and 'lay' the cable.i find it hard to believe that 1-6 are on digital and you can only have analogue.the only way this could happen (and theres a few examples in bolton) is if their underground ducting aims to a cabinet thats fully digital then your construction goes the other way to another cabinet off an analogue 'mux'.as i said a site survey will confirm with the aid of a rod if indeed youre construction goes to the same cab as No's 1-6.if it does youve cracked it,maybe put up your post code and some service/network peeps who live in that area could easily check with a quick visual of the scar on the road etc.good luck.

Graham M
04-07-2007, 17:57
Sounds like complete BS to me I have to say, I'd get this queried because it just doesn't sound right! Sounds more like excuses than anything else.