PDA

View Full Version : travel insurance - tips wanted plz

heyyo
02-07-2007, 10:32
i am planning a trip abroad next month (not in eu) and i was wondering whether its worth getting travel insurance... i want to get things like my laptop, watch, luggage, bank cards covered...if they go missing/stolen

can anyone reccomend a good company

thanks

danielf
02-07-2007, 10:56
i am planning a trip abroad next month (not in eu) and i was wondering whether its worth getting travel insurance... i want to get things like my laptop, watch, luggage, bank cards covered...if they go missing/stolen

thanks

Definitely get insurance. It's not just your possessions, but potential medical costs that you want insuring. If you were to end up in hospital abroad the costs could easily be far higher than the value of your luggage.

Hugh
02-07-2007, 10:59
As Daniel said, definitely get insurance - try DirectLine or ASDA, I have always found them to be cost-effective and provide decent cover (cheapest is not always best for insurance).

Taf
02-07-2007, 11:10
If you are liable to have more than one trip a year, definately go for an annual policy... it is certainly cheaper.

One word of warning though... if you have a pre-existing medical problem, let them know when asking about their policy.... they refused to pay out when had to cancel a holiday due to a flare-up of an illness I had had before.

LSainsbury
02-07-2007, 12:31
I'ved used Columbus before but now I have insurance with my bank account...

Hugh
02-07-2007, 12:33
I'ved used Columbus before but now I have insurance with my bank account...

My bank offered that (if I went with a Premium Account), but the downside was that I had to pay for everything to do with the holiday (flights, accommodation) with the bank's debit/credit card, and I put all my large purchases on my BA Amex card to get the air miles.

LSainsbury
02-07-2007, 12:57
My bank offered that (if I went with a Premium Account), but the downside was that I had to pay for everything to do with the holiday (flights, accommodation) with the bank's debit/credit card, and I put all my large purchases on my BA Amex card to get the air miles.

This (http://www.lloydstsb.com/current_accounts/added_value_accounts/world_travel_insurance3.asp) is what we have. Plus all the other stuff we have for £15 a month - it's a good deal!

lauzjp
02-07-2007, 13:16
Don't some airlines refuse to let you fly if you don't have insurance?

alferret
04-07-2007, 13:13
We use Direct travel. www.direct-travel.co.uk not the cheapest but very good value for the cover given.

RUSTY
05-07-2007, 11:45
I use lloyds tsb free with current account, other choice would be co-op bank around £15 a month. why? cause I`m over 65 and insurance for the usa is very expensive from the usual sources.

SMHarman
05-07-2007, 18:10

thanksMost High Value items need to be covered on your home contents insurance as all risks, not on travel insurance.