PDA

View Full Version : Terayon TJ210 + Torrents = Disconnected

StevenAFC
01-07-2007, 23:59
Hey all,

Ive got a

Terayon TJ210 ----- Belkin N1 ----- PC

and when using torrents the internet drops for about 20 seconds, around about every 10 mins or so.

Ive always believed it was the router, but tonight I got so fed up with it doing it I plugged the internet directly into the PC, and the disconnections continued! The weird thing is, the internet light on the modem does not go out, but the internet has definatly dropped.

Im using windows vista, and the firewall is completely disabled. Im using Azureus as the torrent client, and the settings are pretty much default.

Any ideas?

Mick Fisher
02-07-2007, 01:57
See if you can find any updated drivers for your NIC.

Druchii
02-07-2007, 02:02
What level of service are you on? (2, 4, 20mb)

Also, the Terajet's, they are very old, and would probably need replacing.

Fred_Smith
02-07-2007, 13:43
I had the same problem with the modem, when I contacted NTL they told me that that modem was not supported on the upgraded network, so they replaced it with a new one ntl:250 I think. I would give them a call....

Chris
02-07-2007, 14:28
Last year, NTL began making changes to the network that have effectively rendered the Terry obsolete. Thing is, they have not been adsvertising this, and only swapping them when people complain.

I'd have thought it entirely likely that the changes they have made have caught up with you. Phone 'em, and get 'em to swap it.

StevenAFC
02-07-2007, 18:17
Thanks for the replies guys, ill phone NTL/Virgin now.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Ive just found the support line number 25p a min!!!!!! How the hell have they wangled that! Is it my problem the modem I have is like 6 years old! Is there another way to contact them?

Chris
02-07-2007, 18:19
Thanks for the replies guys, ill phone NTL/Virgin now.

---------- Post added at 18:17 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Ive just found the support line number 25p a min!!!!!! How the hell have they wangled that! Is it my problem the modem I have is like 6 years old! Is there another way to contact them?

Not if you have a problem that's likely to require an engineer visit, no, unfortunately.

The only upside to the 25p/min call charge is that they are under orders from OFCOM not to keep you hanging round. You won't be kept on hold and they should deal with the call quickly once they answer.

StevenAFC
02-07-2007, 18:21
Ok thanks Chris!

Barton71
02-07-2007, 18:43
Not if you have a problem that's likely to require an engineer visit, no, unfortunately.

The only upside to the 25p/min call charge is that they are under orders from OFCOM not to keep you hanging round. You won't be kept on hold and they should deal with the call quickly once they answer.

Why does the engineer need to come to my home? I have a Terayon TJ210 and i was think about calling them up, but if an engineer needs to come, then that presents a problem. There is no way i can be at home before 6pm mon-fri, and i also work most Saturdays. Can't they just send the new modem to my home and i can set it up myself? I had to set it up myself when i received the TJ210, and i wasn't really that hard.

Chris
02-07-2007, 18:55
Why does the engineer need to come to my home? I have a Terayon TJ210 and i was think about calling them up, but if an engineer needs to come, then that presents a problem. There is no way i can be at home before 6pm mon-fri, and i also work most Saturdays. Can't they just send the new modem to my home and i can set it up myself? I had to set it up myself when i received the TJ210, and i wasn't really that hard.

They don't routinely send new modems out to replace ones that are 'broken' without someone coming out to make sure it really is the modem that's at fault.

StevenAFC
02-07-2007, 20:47
Well I just phoned NTL, and they are denying that the modem has anything wrong with it. They dont seem to understand/listen, they test the modem from their end and say everything is fine, when im trying to tell the that the problems happens intimitently. Now they want me to recreate the problem and call them back when it happens. Only now its not doing it, but even worse, im only downloading at 40Kbs, even from Microsoft.com, Ive run 3 seperate speed tests and they are all showing sub 1 mbit speeds.

I should have 4mbit.

I tried ringing them back but they are not answering. really hate dealing with these companies.

Any advice?

polynominalc
02-07-2007, 21:17
I had the same problem with my ntl 120, and they kept telling me there was no problem. So the next time i rang them I just unplugged it a couple of times whilst i was on the phone, they tried telling me it was overheating though, but they sent me a 255 and it works perfectly now

StevenAFC
02-07-2007, 21:51
Ah good idea, Ill try that tomorrow!