PDA

View Full Version : ex-blueyonder newsgroup access

barf0r
01-07-2007, 11:47
Hi, I'm in an ex blueyonder area. Can I only access news.blueyonder.co.uk

The virgin website lists news.cable.ntlworld.com but I am not able to connect. Is this due to me being in an ex blueyonder area?

graham1332
01-07-2007, 13:17
I am an ex blueyonder and for a week now i cant download anything from newsgroups , i use Newzbins and newsleecher to download , as you can see you pay for these , but news.blueyonder.co.uk does not work ...

barf0r
01-07-2007, 13:30
i've used news.blueyonder.co.uk today and it does work for me!

graham1332
01-07-2007, 15:05
Well i have just tried again , with newsleecher as my download client , and newzbins as the site i am downloading from , and with everything i try to download it doesnt work , i have spoke to people that are on sky and b.t and they have no problems at all , and this problem as been going on for a week ,, and i am not on my own , there are a few of my friends using the same things as myself and they are having the same problem , maybe they have done something to there server news.blueyonder.co.uk , i dont know ,, but anyway thats whats happening down in Sunny Wigan ,, lol ,,, bloody rain ,

barf0r
01-07-2007, 21:11
What do you mean by news.blueyonder.co.uk is not working? Can you connect to the servers?

The retention is only about 4 days so maybe the files you are trying to get are no longer there?

danielf
01-07-2007, 22:36
Normally, I find the blueyonder newsgroups quite good (if you're quick enough), but today I found there are lots of (nothing but) incomplete files. I've seen similar complaints on the web from the last week or so.

As for the OP's question: Yes, the VM website lists news.cable.ntlworld.com as the news server. It won't authenticate for me, but news.blueyonder.co.uk does. So, us ex-BY people need to go through the old BY servers (which are pants at the moment), but the kind people in charge of the VM website appear to have forgotten to mention that.

barf0r
01-07-2007, 23:13
Thanks, what I wanted to know.

I saw most files being incomplete, but if it is just a blip in a normally better service then no problem for me.

danielf
01-07-2007, 23:18
I saw most files being incomplete, but if it is just a blip in a normally better service then no problem for me.

Yeah, same here. A slight inconvenience if you're trying to 'source' a certain popular sci-fi series that gets broadcast at prime time on Saturdays, but such is life. If you want a reliable service with retention, go and pay for one. :)

DABhand
02-07-2007, 03:23
Been a good week now and the problem hasnt been solved. Pretty poor.

graham1332
02-07-2007, 05:26
just tried again now and all that i am still getting is incomplete files ,,, and that is on everything 4 days retention and under , and pretty poor ,,, i would say worse than that ,, but all i am trying to say is that its never done this before . why now , maybe someone can put a light on this matter ,

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:22 ----------

oh , and i am sorry didnt add this one , and if people think i am ringing them { 0906 21 1111 } and paying 10p to connect and 25p a min , you dont get any joy out of VM when you do anyway , but never mind ,,, i dont think that one will last , 10p and 25p ,

Richy99
02-07-2007, 13:41
incompletes can come from many things on newsgroups

the server that the person using might not be very good
the peering arrangement that is used by the poster/ntl
the poster has fubar'd the post when posting
retention of the server (VM's end)
how busy the group is

now dont forget this is a free service and you cannot expect good results from a free server and the shear volume of nntp traffic and the subsequent bandwidth use doesnt make it profitable to keep the server working like commercial ones

DABhand
02-07-2007, 14:50
incompletes can come from many things on newsgroups

the server that the person using might not be very good
the peering arrangement that is used by the poster/ntl
the poster has fubar'd the post when posting
retention of the server (VM's end)
how busy the group is

now dont forget this is a free service and you cannot expect good results from a free server and the shear volume of nntp traffic and the subsequent bandwidth use doesnt make it profitable to keep the server working like commercial ones

Please, nothing is free. They wouldnt give you a "free" service. You pay for it in your monthly charge.

About 90% of the groups ive checked randomly have major incomplete issues. And has been since last week (infact it was since a week last Saturday).

danielf
02-07-2007, 14:55
Please, nothing is free. They wouldnt give you a "free" service. You pay for it in your monthly charge.

Have a look at Giganews's prices to get an idea of the cost involved. Giganews charge $13 a month for a 25Gig download allowance. It's not difficult to see that VM cannot provide a service of the same quality inclusive in their BB package.

spankysmagicpian
02-07-2007, 15:00
I have a horrible feeling that they will end up removing the NG servers at some point, sooner rather than later... but until then...

They really should sort out the access for everyone. I know ex-BY have groups that ex-NTL don't carry and ex-NTL newserver seems to be a lot more reliable then ex-BY and carry far less incompletes.

DABhand
02-07-2007, 19:11
Have a look at Giganews's prices to get an idea of the cost involved. Giganews charge $13 a month for a 25Gig download allowance. It's not difficult to see that VM cannot provide a service of the same quality inclusive in their BB package.

And I could start a news server up with the same goodies for $10 a month.

Just because one company says $13 doesnt mean that is the going rate for keeping servers up.

You will probably find they will get about 200% profit or more with prices like that.

VM will pay a standard cost for their Usenet access, you think they are paying that out of their own good hearts? I think not.

epy
03-07-2007, 09:44
news.blueyonder.co.uk what a fooking joke that server is i have been downloading from newsgroups such as newzbins and nzbsrus now for 2 years ans all of a sudden last week all files wer incomplete i mailed the sites and got back everything fine with them mates of mine are having same trbl its obvious its blueyonders server thats the problem they just wont admit it and as for paying to ring and be told no sir its not us with a problem its every newsgroup out there that has the problem they can fook off this will prolly be my last month with virgin media since take over they a load of bollox

Richy99
03-07-2007, 16:29
you will find most ISP servers are crap (except BT's news server)

graham1332
03-07-2007, 18:33
I wonder if VM tech services really look at this site , if they did they would of done something about this server problem now , if they dont sort it out by the end of this week i will be joining someone else ,, so VM if you ready this , you can stick youre server were monkies put there nuts ,,,,,, its been 2 weeks now and everything is still the same ,, i rang them , and they tried to blame it on my p.c ,, then they said it could be the site , and then they said it could be my firewall , what a joke ,

Richy99
03-07-2007, 19:19
so your leaving because of the free news server not being very good?

graham1332
03-07-2007, 22:21
i will be leaving because virgin is crap ,, not just the server , you ring them up for some help , 10p connect 25p per min ,, and you get throught to India , can they help you , no i dont think so ,, if tech support in this country dont know what they are talking about what chance have we got when they put you through to India ,, if you like virgin mate stick with it , as far as io am concerned they have done nothing for me , only to tell lie,s

Rik
03-07-2007, 22:43
With usenet access you get what you pay for ;)

The Jackal
03-07-2007, 23:00
you will find most ISP servers are crap (except BT's news server)

BT has a binary news server ? Refresh my memory as to the address.

I think I recall using it - it even had the .psp isos newsgroup :D

The only reason why I have been on cable for so so long is really the news server.... The end is nigh Virgin Media

DABhand
04-07-2007, 00:46
Rang them up today, the normal sales. Was told you should call the premium number.. To which I told them im not paying for a service im already paying for and going through to India.

So they put me through to someone to talk to, with no call charge.

Guy had no clue what so ever. "Did you try restarting your PC".. "Have you tried without a firewall" ... "Have you rebooted the modem".. The usual suspects.

He soon wised up when I said .. "I havent tried alien abduction you think that might work?".

"Sir, you are receiving this for free an..."
"No, im not you honestly think your giving me this service for free? Im paying for it monthly, nothing is free. That includes the premium number they tried to get me to phone."
"Well Sir, I can only apologise, im sure it will be rectified within 48 hours."
"Did you say that last week too? Its been going on for over a week. Do you lot actually know what your doing?"
"Thats very unfair Sir, we pride ourselves on a quality service for our customers, and to say.."
"Ill stop you there, you have no quality service, I had poor connection issues start of the year, for over a month may I add and even then at the end you had no clue as to what was going on, I had to tell you about the problem with the UBR, I had to contact you to rectify this, I had to fight for the better costs I should be paying, I have to sit and take this shambles of a service and support. And your saying im unfair when im doing what I should be doing and paying my bills."
"But..But.. Well..."
"Put me through to retentions.."

Then I gave the same talk to the retentions guy. Told him end of month the whole shebang is gone.

Its a total disgrace, and im sure people wont agree, but then again thats from people who mostly would sit there and take this poor service with a pinch of salt and would not even fight for their rights.

They have lost me now as a customer. And im sure pretty much alot of people would be doing the same thing around now.

DABhand
04-07-2007, 02:58
Just for anyones Info..

"We have contacted another provider and are awaiting confirmation
that it is setup their end before we start using them"

Is the latest reason from VM why the news servers suck badly.

((wow took them over a week to get a new provider if you believe that crap :P))

graham1332
04-07-2007, 06:50
Nice one DABhand , thats what they more or less said to me , what a load of rubbish they come out with , i wish more people would ring them up , do you think they would get fed-up with all the calls ,,,

Richy99
04-07-2007, 09:43
BT has a binary news server ? Refresh my memory as to the address.

I think I recall using it - it even had the .psp isos newsgroup :D

The only reason why I have been on cable for so so long is really the news server.... The end is nigh Virgin Media

BT's news server is outsourced from giganews (in the last year) but it is most likely speed throttled and connection limited, not used it so cannot say

news.btclick.com and canyt of the other BT aliases such as btconnect and openworld work

kow
05-07-2007, 19:08
Just for anyones Info..

"We have contacted another provider and are awaiting confirmation
that it is setup their end before we start using them"

Does that mean that they'll actually work then?:angel:

DABhand
05-07-2007, 22:57
At the moment people are starting to not buy that latest excuse.

And they are being fobbed off with "When I hear something we will let you know"

or

"Although were not that high up the food chain I have not seen a move/info from the powers that be, to indicate that we would to give up the binary server."

Its really that bad, someone should tell the VM bigwigs the main reason why most people went with TW,NTL etc in the first place, was for the unmetered usenet access.

chamoan
05-07-2007, 23:08
Pooyonder's newsgroups have always been a joke, 3 days rentention that isnt 3 days, many important groups (for me anyway) they didnt give u access to, so many times in the past had so many incompletes that even with pars couldnt fix what i downloaded. It got to a point where enough is enough and you have to pay for a provider. Now im with giganews and happy with the service.

Rik
05-07-2007, 23:59
They have lost me now as a customer. And im sure pretty much alot of people would be doing the same thing around now.

Hope it goes well mate, wherever you go :)

PS dont pick Tiscali or Pipex tho.

DABhand
06-07-2007, 04:54
Well I know people havent given the thumbs up but Be im going for, the exchange is basically down the road as such.

trixxx
06-07-2007, 10:52
anybody still finding all binaries are incomplete? this is almost two week.....ggggrrrrrrr anybody know when this will be fixed?

DABhand
06-07-2007, 11:54
Should have read the whole thread trixxx your answer is in there.

graham1332
06-07-2007, 13:52
Trixxx ,,, it went ok for a couple of hours but back to normal ,,,,, a load of **** ,,,, thats VM FOR YOU ,,,,, but i dont think they will ever get it right , but never mind , i am looking around now for a better service , i think everyone should do it ,,,, when people ask me about VM . I tell them not to bother because the service is crap ,,,,,,, just have a look around on the forums ,, you will get the answer you are looking for

leebowles
06-07-2007, 18:40
Hi guys, im a newbie to this group, but whilst reading and having exactly the same problems, i like most of you rang vm, now they told me that service was running fine or will be fine within 24/48 hours (news server that is) of course this was last friday lol...but ill hang on, see wat happens, saves me spending extra for usenet etc wen this problem might disapeer within a few day :)

DABhand
06-07-2007, 22:55
As taken from VM staff on support group.

"Hi All,

For your information maintenance has been scheduled for Monday morning
at 8:00am on the binary news platform news.blueyonder.co.uk. This will
appear on the status page shortly. The work is to reinstate the storage
that was lost over a week ago due to a double disk failure in an array.
There will be a period of approximately 15 minutes where
news.blueyonder.co.uk will be completely inaccessible. As a result of
this work around 50% of the articles will be lost and for 12 hours or so
after the maintenance we will only be using 50% of the storage until new
news spools are generated. Once completed new articles will be written
to all of the storage and normal retention levels should be established
in the following days after.

We have also established new peers to improve article completion
although this wont be particularly evident until the storage work takes
place on Monday."

Richy99
09-07-2007, 10:30
Its really that bad, someone should tell the VM bigwigs the main reason why most people went with TW,NTL etc in the first place, was for the unmetered usenet access.

really? how many people pick an isp based on usenet servers?

graham1332
09-07-2007, 14:12
DaBhand ,,,, how long did it say it was going to be before everything is back to normal , mind you whats normal with vm , and which monday did they mean ? you can never tell with Vm ..... they tell lies

julie_152
17-11-2007, 13:38
I ceased being a blueyonder (now Virgin) broadband subscriber today, and failed to access "news.blueyonder.co.uk" newsgroups today. I have the newsgroups on a disk, but the toolbar is telling me that "access is denied" as I am not a "recognised as an authorised user of the system". I am now with Sky broadband, but do not want to lose access to the blueyonder newsgroup s - is there any way around this for me?

Julie

Richy99
17-11-2007, 16:18
no

you can only access the news server from a VM IP range

The Jackal
17-11-2007, 23:52
I'm ex telewest so does that mean I can't access NTLs news server ?

telnet news.cable.ntlworld.com 119
Trying 62.253.170.163...
Connected to news.ntli.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
502 Permission Denied - Permission Denied -- http://www.highwinds-software.com/ (Tornado v1.0.6.380)
Connection closed by foreign host.

Whereas

telnet news.blueyonder.co.uk 119
Trying 194.117.143.37...
Connected to news.blueyonder.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
200 Welcome to the blueyonder binary Usenet server (Tornado v1.0.6)

julie_152
18-11-2007, 14:55
Hi,
I don't understand, am I meant to put "telnet news.blueyonder.co.uk" in the "server name" field, and "119" in the "port" field? I did this and I still cannot download newsgroups using Xnews.Or am I being dumb???

Julie

Richy99
19-11-2007, 09:30
I'm ex telewest so does that mean I can't access NTLs news server ?

correct

---------- Post added at 09:30 ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 ----------

Hi,
I don't understand, am I meant to put "telnet news.blueyonder.co.uk" in the "server name" field, and "119" in the "port" field? I did this and I still cannot download newsgroups using Xnews.Or am I being dumb???

Julie

you cannot use the newsgroups if you are not with VM anymore