PDA

View Full Version : Trouble With Connection

PermissionToRock
30-06-2007, 23:36
Hi, i was wondering if anyone can help me, Basically my connection keeps disconnecting me when i am downloading, i use torrents and after about 5 mins it will cut out, The send and recieve lights jus stop flashing and to resolve it i have to turn my computer off, turn off the modem from the mains then switch it back on.

I am on a 4Mbit connection and using a ntl:250 modem. It is also connected up to a Belkin router.

It is sometimes ok when downloading, i can download for hours on end, and some days it will just decide to cut off. It has only started to happen in the past couple of weeks, i had no problems before hand

Any help would be highly appreciated

welshbhoy
01-07-2007, 00:43
I have exactly the same problem. For a few weeks now mostly when downloading via torrents but not always. Like yourself it will sometimes run for hours with no problems then other times it only lasts a few minutes before disconnecting. I have tried to reduce the speed of the download and this helps somewhat on occasion and makes no difference at other times.

I rang NTL tech support and was told it was because I was using a router. I tried in vain to explain that I had already established that the router was not to blame as I had disconnected it and went from the modem straight to the PC and still it was happening. The Indian chap was really rude and as good as refused to assist me, blaming my router. He also said that over a 40 day period I had had 23 disconnections which was acceptable. If I have another I was to ring and they would then arrange an engineer. I asked his name, Chris, and extension number and told him I was going to report him for being so rude he wouldn't give it to me.

I'm also using an NTL 250 modem. I'm on 20mb, using XP.

ECW_Original
01-07-2007, 10:58
Ah, the good old "blame the customer's equipment" again!!

When are TS gonna learn that UNLESS they are technicians and they are sitting in front of your equipment then they CANNOT state it is your stuff!

I called up the other day to complain, firstly they said it was the router - utter rubbish, then they said I had spyware -how the hell would they know? THEN they blamed my internet security, also total rubbish, so just to prove them all wrong, I did a complete reformat & reload, the only other software I installed was the motherboard drivers, bought the modem into the pc room, connected it via ethernet, guess what... yep u guess it, STILL slow speeds! Tech support? what a joke they are, even I MYSELF know more than them useless indians!

PermissionToRock
01-07-2007, 11:24
I've read that the Technical Support r really crap, the thing is today it seems ok, i have been constantly downloading a torrent with no connection lost, it seems ok when i am only downloading 1 torrent, it only seems to cut off when i have 3 or 4. Its really strange, Do you think it could be due to an old modem?

welshbhoy
01-07-2007, 12:29
I've read that the Technical Support r really crap, the thing is today it seems ok, i have been constantly downloading a torrent with no connection lost, it seems ok when i am only downloading 1 torrent, it only seems to cut off when i have 3 or 4. Its really strange, Do you think it could be due to an old modem?

You've got the same modem as me, which is'nt that old. I've had mine for about a year. I had the old Teryon modem before that.

There seems to be an awful lot of people having similar trouble. A neighbour of mine 4 doors away has the same issue as well as folk on here.

@ECW_Original Over the past 12 months I have had to ring tech support twice. The first time, the woman called me a liar. She said that I had no problem, she could see what I was doing and that there was no problem, I was raging. The second was a few days ago, and like yourself, it was blamed on me and my machine and whatever I had connected to it. I get the impression they don't really know what to do so they blame the customer.

See now with this 25p a minute charge, that's going to really wind me up if I have to ring them as I spend most of the conversation saying "pardon" I have difficulty understanding what's being said (the pause bouncing across the satellites don't help) in spite of them all having English sounding names, the woman tech's name was I think Sue, the man from the other day was Chris, aye righto and my names Sanjee!

No disrespect to the people who work in the call centres in India, but the sooner it's back in the UK the better.

I know it won't happen before someone comes on to tell me!;)