PDA

View Full Version : upgraded to 20MB but router problem

HSp8
30-06-2007, 06:47
In Brighton, and was upgraded this week to 20Mb

But, downloading from newsgroups only increased speed from 1200KB/s to about 1600KB/s

Thought that's just the way it is, but this morning connected laptop directly to router rather than using wireless, and speed increased to the expected 2300KB/s

so, problem must be to do with wireless

had a look at my router's settings, but all looks a bit confusing

anyone help me out please? - router is D-Link DI-624

perhaps the wireless capabilities on the router just aren't up to it?

ollie2001
30-06-2007, 14:25
Wireless has never been as fast or as stable as good old Cat 5 cable, but it shouldn't have any problems running a 20mb connection over 54g.

Do you get excellent wireless connectivity between the Router and your PC? Or are there a few walls inbetween etc? I notice that router has a 108mb option (I guess you have to buy the correct D-link stuff to get that to work), if cabling isn't an option, try and get the 108mb wireless working and see if that gives it a boost.

Good luck!

JohnHorb
30-06-2007, 14:39
What is the WAN port on that router? A quick look on the DLink site tells me the LAN ports are 10/100, but doesn't say what the WAN port is. I think several earlier router models only had a 10MB WAN port.

HSp8
30-06-2007, 15:47
Wireless has never been as fast or as stable as good old Cat 5 cable, but it shouldn't have any problems running a 20mb connection over 54g.

Do you get excellent wireless connectivity between the Router and your PC? Or are there a few walls inbetween etc? I notice that router has a 108mb option (I guess you have to buy the correct D-link stuff to get that to work), if cabling isn't an option, try and get the 108mb wireless working and see if that gives it a boost.

Good luck!

no problems with connection before - laptop only a few feet away from router, but moving to larger house soon so cabling won't be an option - when you say 108MB, is that already part of router settings - can't find it anywhere in settings

WAN has option of 10, 100 or 10/100

goldoni
30-06-2007, 16:22
I had the same problem when I was on the 10mb service all was fine via my Linksys BEFSR81 ver2 router and Belkin Access point. Then last week I was upgraded to 20mb and some really funny things happened like you found.

I found the only work around was to go down to 4Mb service and as soon as this was done and I had re-set my modem all was fine in the garden again.

The silly thing was when on 20mb I was only getting 1 to 2 Mb download mostly under 1mb and strange as it may sound all the speed test said I was getting over 700 Kbs but I was unable to upload to any of my web space, now its no problem.

Virgin media say all should be fixed by Tues so they will be putting me back up on the 20mb service :D

phil699
01-07-2007, 01:34
im in brighton on 20mb aswell and using a belkin 54g wireless/wired router. I seem to be getting a full 20mb speed with the ntl cable plugged directly into my pc but when it goes via my router i seem to get a max 10mb on a good day...

grabbi
01-07-2007, 01:46
You should just check that is not the internet.

With or without my Router, the speed is shizzle.

phil699
01-07-2007, 01:50
i assume routers dont have a maximum speed they can handle? when the ntl guy came round my house few weeks back he said the next step is 50mb connections.

co103
01-07-2007, 02:11
Hi - Im in Brighton too, and im getting 15-17mb through the router and 19+ direct to the SACM. Not bad, all things considered. (ie Network capacity).

on in an hour!
01-07-2007, 02:17
Hi - Im in Brighton too, and im getting 15-17mb through the router and 19+ direct to the SACM. Not bad, all things considered. (ie Network capacity).
nice test set there in the avatar!!! dont forget to change your disclaimer statement now youre access ;)

HSp8
01-07-2007, 07:41
im in brighton on 20mb aswell and using a belkin 54g wireless/wired router. I seem to be getting a full 20mb speed with the ntl cable plugged directly into my pc but when it goes via my router i seem to get a max 10mb on a good day...

were you getting full 10MB via wireless when on 10MB package?

I think next step is to borrow another router, and see if that solves problem

BlockShocker
01-07-2007, 11:26
I've looked into this quite a bit, one problem could be your router, but if its says its 56mbs then it shouldn't be a problem. When ntl moved over to 10 meg i had the same problem (o, i rang my local computer shop & they told I'd need a new router as most routers which are over 4 years old can't handle these kinds of speeds, once i'd bought a new one (netgear rp614) I got the full speeds.
At home I have a wireless network using Airport Extreme, with wireless you always have the issue of getting interference from various electrical or radio wave transmitting items.
From experience I've found that, were possible always used a hard wired connection, you can't beat it, wireless usually never gives you the full speeds & if it does it won't be consistent over a period of time.
Hope this helps

co103
01-07-2007, 12:24
Thanks on in an hour ! I see your Avatar is a nationwide problem too ! haha

Mr Black
01-07-2007, 16:56

i've got the same router. Wireless I get 5 meg max, Using a cable I get 10 meg and if I run straight from the modem I get 10 meg. In another post on here someone told me it could be that the lan ports are 10/100 but the wan port might be base 10. I am supposed to be on the 20 meg service now but I still only get 10!

phil699
02-07-2007, 05:28
how can we tell if this router has 'base 10' port? or if it is capable of taking 20mb?

ntluser
02-07-2007, 07:30
I've looked into this quite a bit, one problem could be your router, but if its says its 56mbs then it shouldn't be a problem. When ntl moved over to 10 meg i had the same problem (o, i rang my local computer shop & they told I'd need a new router as most routers which are over 4 years old can't handle these kinds of speeds, once i'd bought a new one (netgear rp614) I got the full speeds.
At home I have a wireless network using Airport Extreme, with wireless you always have the issue of getting interference from various electrical or radio wave transmitting items.
From experience I've found that, were possible always used a hard wired connection, you can't beat it, wireless usually never gives you the full speeds & if it does it won't be consistent over a period of time.
Hope this helps

I use Airport Extreme too and the wireless is pretty good though it doesn't give me 20 Mb at the moment.Mind you I have my desktop linked into one of the LAN connections and than doesn't either despite the router working at 54Mb and service being recorded as "Excellent".